Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:16 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hammer View Post
Thanks for reply. If $120 a foot is too low for new construction, what is the florida figure you would use?
you can get $120 sq ft but it is not "high end" construction. it would be builder grade construction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 04:32 PM

11 posts, read 16,992 times
Another option is to find an old house in a good location being offered at a good price and then completely gut the house and start over ...

Old 11-04-2015, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 6,831 times
Default sailboat access homes Cape Coral

After sailing for a number of years in the waters from Long Island sound to Cape Cod, I moved to Cape Coral with my 32 foot Ketch in 1988. Eventually I moved to power boats since I got serious about diving and the speed of my ketch was impractical.
I have also been a realtor in the Cape since 1988. The south/east end of the Cape is the best suited for sailboats because it is the part of the city closest to the Gulf of Mexico. You are right on about the age of the homes, because this area was where the construction started and many of the homes are smaller and older. There is quite a variety of homes in this area and teardowns are not uncommon. As you move toward the southwest section of the city, the homes will get newer and access is still excellent and you might find something suitable. Mast height is important as there are controlling heights on power lines and bridges. Generally water depth is not a problem and about 200 miles of the canals are saltwater accessible. In the northwest you will find newer homes, as this is a where there has been a spurt in new construction, but central utilities are not available and there is an ongoing discussion as to replacement of a boat lift which, if done, will affect access.
There are a few canals in Ft Myers and Ft Myers Beach. They will be more expensive and you will want to be careful about water depth.
If I can be of any further help, feel free to email me at DavidHeadd@gmail.com or call my cell at (239) 340-9153. As I mentioned I am a realtor with Century 21 Sunbelt Realty and am quite familiar with Lee County and the surrounding waters. I particularly enjoy Cape Coral because of its vitality, excellent infrastructure and safety.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox1026 View Post
After sailing for a number of years in the waters from Long Island sound to Cape Cod, I moved to Cape Coral with my 32 foot Ketch in 1988. Eventually I moved to power boats since I got serious about diving and the speed of my ketch was impractical.
I have also been a realtor in the Cape since 1988. The south/east end of the Cape is the best suited for sailboats because it is the part of the city closest to the Gulf of Mexico. You are right on about the age of the homes, because this area was where the construction started and many of the homes are smaller and older. There is quite a variety of homes in this area and teardowns are not uncommon. As you move toward the southwest section of the city, the homes will get newer and access is still excellent and you might find something suitable. Mast height is important as there are controlling heights on power lines and bridges. Generally water depth is not a problem and about 200 miles of the canals are saltwater accessible. In the northwest you will find newer homes, as this is a where there has been a spurt in new construction, but central utilities are not available and there is an ongoing discussion as to replacement of a boat lift which, if done, will affect access.
There are a few canals in Ft Myers and Ft Myers Beach. They will be more expensive and you will want to be careful about water depth.
If I can be of any further help, feel free to email me at DavidHeadd@gmail.com or call my cell at (239) 340-9153. As I mentioned I am a realtor with Century 21 Sunbelt Realty and am quite familiar with Lee County and the surrounding waters. I particularly enjoy Cape Coral because of its vitality, excellent infrastructure and safety.
there is no ongoing discussion regarding boat lift in the nw. I spoke to the DEP personally , no way it is going back in. the discussion going on today is whether to tear out the lock in the SW spreader, utilities coming to the gulf access areas in the NW starting in 2016

Old 11-04-2015, 09:54 PM

52 posts, read 59,422 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Why is that area tough for a sailboat. Problem with depth of canal or river?
That listing has the canal right out to the river and the current owner seems to have a sailboat. When I searched for your price range and year of home there are a few listings that match. It says gulf access but will take you forever to get to more open water and or small bridges that the mast won't fit under.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:46 AM

77 posts, read 103,148 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Why is that area tough for a sailboat. Problem with depth of canal or river?

For that address, ... 1310 SE 23RD PL, CAPE CORAL, FL ... that area is quite a bit upriver, and will take a LONG time for a sailboat to get to the Gulf of Mexico. Also, it is NOT true sailboat access. Some sailboats, yes, but not all. There are still 2 bridges to clear downriver on the way to the Gulf of Mexico. ... the Mid-Point Bridge and the Cape Coral Bridge. Yes, those are somewhat higher bridges, but there are many sailboat masts that don't fit under. They are not even as high as the standard ICW minimum bridge clearance, which is 65-feet. The vertical clearances of those 2 bridges are each only 55 feet. Even a mid-size sloop, such as a 36-foot Hunter, has a mast height a bit taller than 55'. This can be a real concern to serious sailors.

Best luck in your search.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonceDeLeon View Post
For that address, ... 1310 SE 23RD PL, CAPE CORAL, FL ... that area is quite a bit upriver, and will take a LONG time for a sailboat to get to the Gulf of Mexico. Also, it is NOT true sailboat access. Some sailboats, yes, but not all. There are still 2 bridges to clear downriver on the way to the Gulf of Mexico. ... the Mid-Point Bridge and the Cape Coral Bridge. Yes, those are somewhat higher bridges, but there are many sailboat masts that don't fit under. They are not even as high as the standard ICW minimum bridge clearance, which is 65-feet. The vertical clearances of those 2 bridges are each only 55 feet. Even a mid-size sloop, such as a 36-foot Hunter, has a mast height a bit taller than 55'. This can be a real concern to serious sailors.

Best luck in your search.

Thank you for the reply. Sounds like NE is far away from Gulf unless we switch to a powerboat.

If we were to buy an older home in SE to renovate, how strict is Cape Coral building/zoning about changing an outside wall, i.e. to put an addition on bedroom or master bath?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. Sounds like NE is far away from Gulf unless we switch to a powerboat.

If we were to buy an older home in SE to renovate, how strict is Cape Coral building/zoning about changing an outside wall, i.e. to put an addition on bedroom or master bath?
If you buy an old house sometimes when you go to renovate they will make you bring the whole house up to todays codes which could include elevation. that is why people tear down and start from scratch

Old 11-05-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
If you buy an old house sometimes when you go to renovate they will make you bring the whole house up to todays codes which could include elevation. that is why people tear down and start from scratch

Yikes ... so what has been the experience for how long it takes to build a new house on a lot in Cape Coral?

My Brother in law just had a house built by a developer in New Hampshire. It was seven months from contract to move in.

Someone said Florida takes much longer. Is that true?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:04 AM

45 posts, read 63,672 times
Not sure how much I can help here but I'll give it a try. We moved to the SW section (unit 64) four months ago, to a house on a canal.

There are some some houses under construction on nearby streets. I estimate that they will be approx $600k - $800k properties when done. Unfortunately, they appear to be progressing extremely slowly. A section gets completed and then they sit for weeks waiting for a crew to work on the next section. Seven months is starting to look pretty optimistic for these projects! There have been a number of news reports regarding the shortage of skilled construction labor in the area. On the other hand, there are several $3million+ homes going up near Tarpon Point that are moving right along!?!

We have direct gulf sailboat access (no bridges) from our dock. Located a couple of blocks south of Cape Coral Pkwy, it takes us about half an hour to exit the canals. However, the water is all very shallow inshore, so to reach the deeper, open water of the gulf for safe sailing (I don't sail), you probably need to go another half hour. Pay close attention to those gulf access times and question what they really mean - to the gulf?, to the river?, to ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area