Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:51 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times

Advertisements

I received a call a few weeks back from a private investigator saying I hate funds with the state of Florida from my late husband. I figured it was a scam but when I got home and looked up unclaimed funds in Florida I found the state website that allows you to check to see if you or a close relative who has passed has any money that you are entitled to. You can do this yourself - you do not need to have an attorney or private investigator do it for you. You will have to send the state proper documentation. I have a nice like check due to arrive in 90 days.

Here is the website - https://www.fltreasurehunt.org/

Happy Hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 11:48 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
I found my name on the list about 5, 6 years ago--I was due a refund from Traveler's for my homeowner's insurance. Nice little check--$150.

It's ironic because I remember arguing with them several years before that I was due a refund and they kept denying it. Oh well, I was right & better late than never.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:56 AM

Checked a few other deceased relatives. I have money from my father: $400, my grandfather $28 and my uncle who I lived with from 5 years old until 18 for $213. Getting the money from my father and grandfather shouldn't be too difficult as my birth certificate has the same last name. However my uncle had a different last name. He never married or had children (we always suspected he was gay) so a relationship between us will be a little harder to prove.

Wizrap - do you remember how long it took you to get your check from them? They told me 90 days is the turn around time as of now.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Checked a few other deceased relatives. I have money from my father: $400, my grandfather $28 and my uncle who I lived with from 5 years old until 18 for $213. Getting the money from my father and grandfather shouldn't be too difficult as my birth certificate has the same last name. However my uncle had a different last name. He never married or had children (we always suspected he was gay) so a relationship between us will be a little harder to prove.

Wizrap - do you remember how long it took you to get your check from them? They told me 90 days is the turn around time as of now.
Are these "accounts" in their name or yours? If it's in theirs, it might have to go to their estate first and then to any beneficiaries of the estate.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 PM

Kim, my uncle has been dead since 1984; my grandfather 2003 and my father 2006. There was never any estate. I checked with someone from the state treasury office and they said I didn't need to worry about an estate with my husband because the money I'm due isn't that much. It is to me but apparently not in their eyes. Naturally I have to send my husband's death certificate, info showing the address that they have listed and a copy of my driver's license.

I can't believe the money from my Uncle is still there after 32 years!

Old 01-15-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Wizrap-- do you remember how long it took you to get your check from them? They told me 90 days is the turn around time as of now.
It's been awhile since I filed for my refund--but I don't remember it being as long as 90 days--I think it was more like 30. Maybe they want to under promise, over deliver?

I was worried I would have a problem because I couldn't find proof of my old address (which was from 2 moves ago) but the state was satisfied with my documentation obviously. Maybe your request might take longer because it's an estate issue?

My husband has a deceased cousin who is on that list--sad story as not only this cousin's parents are dead, but also his only sibling. The cousin never married--had no kids. Apparently it's not a lot of money, as per my husband's call to the state--so no other cousins have come forward as it's a hassle to request a copy of the death certificate and prove you are an heir.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Kim, my uncle has been dead since 1984; my grandfather 2003 and my father 2006. There was never any estate. I checked with someone from the state treasury office and they said I didn't need to worry about an estate with my husband because the money I'm due isn't that much. It is to me but apparently not in their eyes. Naturally I have to send my husband's death certificate, info showing the address that they have listed and a copy of my driver's license.

I can't believe the money from my Uncle is still there after 32 years!
yeah, 32 yrs is a long time..Im surprised that it's still there. Are you able to claim his, and your dad's, along with your husband's?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 AM

My husband's is a done deal. There was no estate as we didn't own anything when he died. I sent all the paperwork last week. For my dad I have to get his death certificate and I guess send them a copy of my birth certificate showing him as my father. Not sure what to do about my great uncle. While I lived with him (and my paternal grandmother) from 5 years old to 18 when I got married, he never formally adopted me, we just lived with him. He had never married, had no children and all his siblings are long gone. That one might be tougher to get as I can't think of any documentation I could show the state that would show me as an heir.

My grandfather's money will involve some detective work and I'm not sure I'm going to bother for $28.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:09 PM

Thanks Chiluvr, your post gave me the idea to look up deceased relatives--I was surprised to see my grandmother's name on the list--a cash value life insurance policy of all things. It's as if she sent me a gift from the grave as she's been gone for 15 years.

I will be mailing out the claim form and documentation this week. Fingers crossed for me and you that the process goes smoothly.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:59 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,660,292 times
Just found some for a friend. Doesn't say how much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area