Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 05:00 PM

113 posts, read 104,385 times

Advertisements

I've actually seen some videos on growing rambutan from seed from rambutan bought from Walmart, where I get mine but I'm guessing the poster is possibly from somewhere else and he's had much success and didn't appear to use any special tricks or anything. I though cannot get anything to sprout. Doubt I'll find anyone in here who has happened to even tried to grow these, but so knows. Or maybe someone has a general tip that would be helpful. I just stick them in good soil and leave them outside and water.

Also, I'm trying to grow this star fruit, carambola, and again, never had a seed sprout. I can get avocado, mango, papaya, citrus, guava, pomegranate and dates to sprout all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:06 AM

319 posts, read 612,581 times
You can grow rambutan trees in tropical to semi-tropical environs. They thrive in temps from 71-86 degrees F.and even a few days of temps below 50 degrees F. will kill these heat lovers. So, rambutan trees are best grown in warm regions such as Florida or areas of California. Of course, if you have a greenhouse or sunroom, you can give rambutan tree care a whirl by growing them in containers.

It will take about two years for the tree to be big enough to transplant outdoors; the tree will be about a foot tall and still fragile, so it is better to repot it than actually put it in the ground. The transplanted tree should be placed in a ceramic, not plastic, pot in soil that is one part each of sand, vermiculite and peat to create good drainage.

My only recommendation before you spend any money on these and other plants:

1) Get a Soil Sample, send the sample to a lab and ask for as much information as you can about your soil conditions and nutrition levels.

2) Based on the results of that report, "Condition" the soil appropriately prior to planting.

Soil Conditioning the EASY WAY:

Based on the square footage of the area to be prepped for growing. Purchase enough Milorganite to put down 10LBS of product per 1000 square feet. Do this twice, 3 weeks prior to planting.

At the time of planting, use BrownCow or similar Soil mix with the new plants as you put them in the ground.

After plants are established, do the Milorganite application twice a year and apply a "Palm" fertilizer twice a year.

You can also apply, Sulphur, TechMag and Epsom salt separately at a rate of 5lbs per 1000 sq. feet. These macro/minor elements will help regulate the PH in our Sandy Loam.

The closer the PH is 6.5 to 6.9 the healthier the plants or trees will be.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
You can grow rambutan trees in tropical to semi-tropical environs. They thrive in temps from 71-86 degrees F.and even a few days of temps below 50 degrees F. will kill these heat lovers. So, rambutan trees are best grown in warm regions such as Florida or areas of California. Of course, if you have a greenhouse or sunroom, you can give rambutan tree care a whirl by growing them in containers.

It will take about two years for the tree to be big enough to transplant outdoors; the tree will be about a foot tall and still fragile, so it is better to repot it than actually put it in the ground. The transplanted tree should be placed in a ceramic, not plastic, pot in soil that is one part each of sand, vermiculite and peat to create good drainage.

My only recommendation before you spend any money on these and other plants:

1) Get a Soil Sample, send the sample to a lab and ask for as much information as you can about your soil conditions and nutrition levels.

2) Based on the results of that report, "Condition" the soil appropriately prior to planting.

Soil Conditioning the EASY WAY:

Based on the square footage of the area to be prepped for growing. Purchase enough Milorganite to put down 10LBS of product per 1000 square feet. Do this twice, 3 weeks prior to planting.

At the time of planting, use BrownCow or similar Soil mix with the new plants as you put them in the ground.

After plants are established, do the Milorganite application twice a year and apply a "Palm" fertilizer twice a year.

You can also apply, Sulphur, TechMag and Epsom salt separately at a rate of 5lbs per 1000 sq. feet. These macro/minor elements will help regulate the PH in our Sandy Loam.

The closer the PH is 6.5 to 6.9 the healthier the plants or trees will be.
Wow thanks. That will take me some time to go over but looks very helpful. Does good ol mother nature suck that bad that we gotta do all these unnatural steps to make this work or are rambutan trees just very fragile like human babies? How do they ever grow without doing so indoors for their first two years? I've got about 12 seeds. What are the chances 1 of them all grow with best soil home depot /Lowes offers plus some of my delicious compost?

Old 08-10-2017, 06:08 AM

319 posts, read 612,581 times
Our area of Florida is a Large Sandbar where people migrated to. Central Florida is the agriculturer powerhouse. We attempted to grow tropical landscapes in sand and limestone.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
Our area of Florida is a Large Sandbar where people migrated to. Central Florida is the agriculturer powerhouse. We attempted to grow tropical landscapes in sand and limestone.
Ah, gotcha, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area