Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 08:12 AM

31 posts, read 35,941 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of having a new home built in Ft. Myers in a gated community. However we will be snowbirds for the first several years and want to ensure our home is protected while we're away. We would like to have a modern security system installed with the ability to see who is ringing the doorbell (home comes with a camera doorbell) and respond via our phone/Wi-Fi. We would like window sensors and door sensors, motion detectors inside and outside lights that are motion sensitive.

I've contacted one security system called Expert Security Services. They have excellent ratings but seem pretty expensive as far as equipment goes (not even sure how much the monitoring is yet).

Has anyone had a good experience with security systems in the area? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 08:24 AM

25 posts, read 26,472 times
I'd look into the Ring or SkyBell product line (Ring Pro would probably be ideal) for the video doorbell.

There's a lot of DIY home security tech out there right now that would probably meet most homeowner's requirements if you don't mind doing some of the initial setup/programming. Most of these gadgets are relatively easy to install from your phone and require minimal reoccurring fees, if any, for storage. It wouldn't be monitored by a company, but personally I don't think monitoring is necessary and you wouldn't have to deal with high monthly fees/contracts.

I'm not familiar with what monitored security companies offer these days, but I imagine they are behind the curve when it comes to tech.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:58 AM

8 posts, read 19,304 times
We are snowbirds from ND. We had Xfinity home security installed recently and also have a Ring doorbell. We are very happy with Xfinity but the Ring goes offline periodically. It cannot be reset remotely so you either wait to see if it goes back on by itself, which it has after a few weeks or days, or have someone there have access to it to do it manually. The Ring is not fully reliable from such a distance but just a little added plus.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:18 AM

31 posts, read 35,941 times
Default Re - Secuirty System for new home in Ft. Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Snowbird View Post
We are snowbirds from ND. We had Xfinity home security installed recently and also have a Ring doorbell. We are very happy with Xfinity but the Ring goes offline periodically. It cannot be reset remotely so you either wait to see if it goes back on by itself, which it has after a few weeks or days, or have someone there have access to it to do it manually. The Ring is not fully reliable from such a distance but just a little added plus.
Does the Xfinity system include any cameras inside the house or just window/door/motion sensors? I'm wondering if we can just get away with something like that and maybe another RING camera in the pool area to monitor any activity going on in there while we're away. I would think that would be sufficient to deter any possible theft or vandalism.

We are in a gated community so once a percentage of homes are built, the gate will be up (or down so to speak) and running so that should limit some entrance into the community.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:35 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourtime4fun View Post
Does the Xfinity system include any cameras inside the house or just window/door/motion sensors? I'm wondering if we can just get away with something like that and maybe another RING camera in the pool area to monitor any activity going on in there while we're away. I would think that would be sufficient to deter any possible theft or vandalism.

We are in a gated community so once a percentage of homes are built, the gate will be up (or down so to speak) and running so that should limit some entrance into the community.
We have Simplisafe as a security system with no indoor cameras. We don't see the need because between the sensors on the doors and the motion and glass break sensors in the house, the alarm will be tripped if anyone gets in. We have 3 Arlo Pro wireless cameras outside that have motion detectors that monitor the front door, walkway and driveway and the pool and lanai area in back. Anyone breaking in would trip the alarm and be caught on the external cameras coming and going. No need for indoor cameras.

We are part time residents in an established gated community with security patrols and think we are well covered. BTW, the Arlo Pro cameras are wireless and broadcast to a base station inside the house and record to the cloud. Irma's eye wall went directly over Gateway where our house is located and all of the cameras kept going throughout. We have recordings up until the power went out and took the base station off line which was just before the calm eye came through. None of the connectivity issues that other posters have experienced with Ring.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:44 AM

378 posts, read 487,258 times
I have Simplysafe and the Arlo Cameras as well and would recommend them without issue.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:14 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Aren't the Arlo camera's battery operated? Seems like it would be a PITA. How often do you charge/change the batteries?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Plus one on Simplisafe. We have it here in Gateway and have been pleased with it. Simplisafe runs periodic sales on their website and we got a great deal last Christmas.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:31 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Aren't the Arlo camera's battery operated? Seems like it would be a PITA. How often do you charge/change the batteries?
The batteries are simple to swap out. You do not have to take down the cameras. It's a single rechargeable battery in the shape of a cube that literally takes seconds to change in the camera. Push a button on top and the camera body opens - then pull out the old and snap in the new. The battery life depends on how much the camera is used and what video quality level is chosen. Mine are set to optimize the video and last about 4 to 5 months before I swap them out (the front camera is triggered more than the other two and needs to be changed a bit sooner). You get a spare battery when you buy the three camera package. I ended up buying a separate charger (charges two batteries at a time) and a second spare battery so I always have two charged batteries on hand.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 PM

8 posts, read 19,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourtime4fun View Post

The Xfinity does have a motion detector inside the house. It never went offline during Irma due to the fact it has a battery backup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area