Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,975 times

Advertisements

Hi my fantastic City Data Folks,

I'm being a bit premature here, but there is a 50 / 50 chance that we will move to Florida. For me I'm moving BACK to FL (I'm originally from Cocoa Beach) and my fiance would be moving there for a job. My question, I'm seeing such fantastic home prices all over from Naples to Estero, etc. Then I come here and read such negative things about areas to avoid, Chinese drywall (which I had never heard of until now). I mean, compared to the area I grew up, and the Florida I used to know (of years gone by) how do you make an educated guess of where to live? My saving grace is that my children are adults now and it would just be the two of us and our pets.
I will more than likely work in medical somewhere in the area. I'd like the option of leasing a horse while living there as I'd be leaving my own two horses here when / if we move.

Can anyone give me a very neutral view of the area outside / around / in Naples, FL?? Also can someone tell me if there are shooting ranges locally? If "you" have land, can you ride your four wheelers around, etc?

Just a snapshot of information would be so greatly appreciated. I have a feeling that if this happens and yes, it's a big "if", that we are going to rush down, find something and then I'm worried that in our rush decision we will make the wrong decision and be stuck.

Anyone? Thoughts?? Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 02:18 PM

128 posts, read 648,157 times
Well as you stated the Florida gone by, we had the boom now the bust I think that is why so much negativity. Alot of people have been hit hard here and can't get out because their homes won't sell, paid to much lost jobs you name it. But you know what it's like that all over this nation and we are fortunate just to have the nice weather to put up with it. Back to your question, I think from your description the Golden Gate Estates would be right what you are looking for. I don't live in Naples but have been through GGE alot recently and it is a nice rural area with alot of room and not to far to downtown Naples. I don't know where the closest shooting range is but I'm sure they have got to have one, you might want to Google Naples gun clubs or something like that.
Yes things have gotten tough down here but if you have a job before you come down you have cleared the biggest hurtle because there are some very nice deals now. Just do your homework on the drywall issue it is not just a Florida issue it is all over. Good Luck

Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
What is your housing budget?

Where will your fiance be working? The work commute can be a killer.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM

I have found some homes less than 150K, in and around Naples and YES almost all of them in Golden Gates Estates, great prices. Remember too, we are coming from near Philly and the prices up here still haven't caught up with the rest of the nation yet there are lots of layoff's, etc. So, same stuff happening but no one is being smart about housing prices. My fiance would be working in Naples - IF and I say IF this works out. Again, just the beginning process but I love being proactive and just knowing a little ahead of time to see what I might be in for. His commute for work based on some homes we found that we like would be about less than 30 mins. Right now he's at 1 hour and 20 mins one way to work.
Anyway, thanks for the input, RoadRunner69. Great information and it's sure nice having someone say to me that the area I was already looking looks like a pretty nice area. I agree with you, it's going on everywhere and you have to be really realistic about life these days. Thankfully, we do not own our home now and would be buying at a really great time.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Where in Naples? Balancing the home/work commute can be important, especially if you are coming from the Estates.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:25 PM

Near Tamiami Trail and Immakalee. Around that area, not far from there at all. I know the location, just don't want to jinx it, I'm sure you understand LOL
We mapped it from the actual location to a particular house we are interested in - again all hypothetically speaking and if that were to happen, it would be a 25 min commute.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 PM

Also, another question. What are property taxes like in the Golden Gates Estates area?? Any input here?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 PM

Well that helps alot. You will be OK in GGE or even in Corkscrew.

Commute times: Rush hour is hell getting out of the deep Estates. There are few snowbirds in GGE so it is the same year round.

Immokalee Road is in a state of perpetual construction. They are several years into an eleven year road improvement plan. The finished sections are nice, there are major delays in the areas under construction. There are TONS of tourists and snowbirds in that area in the winter. This will contribute significantly to the commute.

Depending on where that house is the 25 minutes may be an underestimate.

My taxes are $3300. Insurance is $3650. This is for a 2500 sq ft under air.

Last edited by RMD3819; 03-09-2009 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Added taxes

Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM

LOL I had to laugh out loud when you said the big about an 11 year road plan.. too funny - that kind of thing happens here in PA. There are roads that are STILL being worked on since I moved here (many moons ago LOL). I guess that never changes. Good info and I'm a realist, I dont doubt because that subdivision is so huge that you could really get stuck in traffic getting out of it, but hey, it STILL beats an hour and 20 mins commute... right?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:16 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,979 times
Firing ranges.....one indoor range in Ft Myers, on Fowler Ave.(Fowler firearms) An OK place to shoot, but drawback is they force you to purchase any ammo fired from them. Depending on what it is, it can be a little pricey. Handguns only, nothing but standard loads allowed.

There's an outdoor range at Cecil Webb park, in the south end of Charlotte County, near Punta Gorda.(East off the Tucker's Grade exit, I 75)Open dawn to dusk M-S, maybe Sunday hours also, not sure. I much prefer, and recommend it. Different areas for handguns, rifes, shotguns, etc. BYOAmmo, and ear/eye protection. Clean, safe, monitored and supervised by Florida state park personnel. $3.00 per person, or $6.00 for a carload. I am not aware of any ranges in Collier county, doesnt mean there arent any however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area