Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 10:10 AM

5 posts, read 9,923 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! This is actually my first post here - I signed up a while ago and lurked, but I come with questions. Also, I want to see if it's just 'me' on the area in which I live or if it's actually legit, because I can't seem to convince my father that I'm seeing what I'm seeing, so maybe I AM just being negative and crazy.

First - I'm 18. I had the chance to leave Naples and, stupidly, didn't take it because I thought I was making a mature choice. Won't get too much into that as it's a long story, but I've known that, in general, Southwest/Naples Florida really isn't my 'thing.' I don't care too much for beaches, honestly. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful to look at, to paint, to draw, but as for actually hanging out on one... it's just not my thing. Neither is the heat and humidity, which eliminates things I do like, such as walking or biking, anytime except at night or in the early morning.

I know most of that is preference. However, what I've seen is... I don't get a whole lot of respect. I've been desperately trying to find a job for a while and have gotten some of the rudest responses just for ASKING about work, or people turning up their noses on seeing me, saying things like, "YOU? You're too young and inexperienced for this job, try somewhere else."

Now, most of the applications I've been trying have been online now, because I got tired of being told to go home and apply online. Waste of gas to ram around for that answer or rudeness because of age and inexperience. It's impossible for me to have 5 years of experience under me - child labor laws and all. My father just says I'm not even trying.

About school: I've always heard (and read here) that Florida schools are low-ranking. Does this apply to colleges? My father seems to insist that TONS of people come to Florida from 'all over the country' just to go to college in Florida. I'm not saying people don't, but tons? IS the education system bad, or am I just being a negative jerk about it?

So, having been unable to get a job and knowing my relationship with my dad is rocky, I've been REALLY hesitant to go to college. I just want out of Florida so much since it seems like all I do is sink here. I've met a handful of really wonderful people, but so many snobs and rich people who just put me off too. My father seems to think if I go to school here, I could find a job anywhere, but... is that really true? It's all service work...

I have $300 and a car. It's been held over my head about the insurance rate on me, since I have no job to pay for it with - $150/month on my dad's plan, $300+/month on my own - at liability ONLY because I legally own the car. It's frustrating for me, and I have to wonder, is it really this bad everywhere?

Maybe I should just invest in a ticket up North or inland to Colorado, where I have family or friends, respectively. I love both places and, from what I understand, they're hiring more there than here.

I'm not going to lie - part of it is I just want OUT of Florida! It's not where my heart is and I feel so unhappy. Am I really not just giving it a fair chance like my father says? I've lived here 12 years, though... if I'm not used to the heat and humidity by now, will I EVER be?

Or would it just be REALLY stupid to pay out of state tuition, even if it makes me happier? My experience at the local college was... not the best, to say the least.

I apologize for the length of that! Thanks for reading this far - any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM

128 posts, read 648,258 times
I am sorry for your dilema but things are tough all over and for the younger generation it's worse. I will have to speak from your fathers side seeing I have a 21 year old daughter that works her butt off and is on my insurance and still having a tough time. Let me say a father only wants whats good for their daughter and kids don't want to draw from the experience their parents have as far as advice.(I am guilty myself when I moved here when I was 20) I understand your wanting to get out but your father wants you to have the proper tools so you won't be ruffing it in the low paying world. Your father may get mad at me but if you don't want to continue your education and you want out have you considered the service? You will travel and learn a trade I would hope and get payed and have some benefits when you get out. I know things aren't to great as far as the conflict goes but hopefully it will be over soon. I have two nephews, one did two tours(8 yrs. and out) and the second one is working on his second tour. I also have a few kids that I coached in Little League in the service and it does them a world of good. Good Luck with your future and sorry for the long ramble but again your father only wants the best for you.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 9,923 times
I don't think the service would take me. I have some pretty bad breathing issues under physical activity. My grandpa's talked about this with me and I'd consider it as a last resort, but again, I don't know if they'd allow me in because of medical issues.

I do see that he wants what's best, but at the same time, our relationship has tanked worse since I moved in with him. I don't want that. I do want college, it's just that I don't necessarily want it here, with him. It's not so much that I want to be away from parents and party - I don't - and if it were my mom I would have no trouble being right at home.

It's my dad and stepmom though, and our relationship is... not so good. Put that on top of my general feelings about the area and my inability to get a job and I have a real problem.

Actually, today my car just broke down. If it cannot be fixed (or would cost too much to fix), I'll be in tons of trouble. I'm too afraid to do much biking (it's dangerous - my deceased grandpa got HIT once and it's made me fearful) and both dad and my stepmother work.

Thank you for your post - I do know it's tough all over, especially for people about my age.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
being 18 is in my opionion one of the toughest times of your life. you are being asked to make decisions that can potentially effect you for a long time. sometimes having unlimited choices is just as scary as having only a few. I'm going to give you the same advice my Dad gave to me when I was 18. even though I think my father wanted me to become a lawyer his main goal was for me to be happy. He asked me if I took a month off from work,school, and money wasn't an issue how would I spend my time? Chances are if you like something it costs money , chances are if you like doing it other people do as well, Be the person making the money instead of spending it. for example if you like to play golf work hard to be a golf pro , open up a pro shop, a driving range, your own golf course ,think big. you may need to go to school as an action step ,but if your clear of what your going for and you have a goal it'll make it go by easier. keep in mind it's ok to make mistakes at this point in your life , you don't have a mortgage, or kids that are depending on you, take risks while you're young. I followed this advice and have been living my passion for the last 20 years and I have never considered it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area