Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:27 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,285,852 times

Advertisements

So if you are in a Cat 5 rated house/condo built under the newer codes, and far enough inland to be in a low risk surge/flood zone, how does that work when a hurricane is coming?

What do normal people do? head north? hunker down and ride it out? Do people get caught in their cars stuck in traffic trying to get out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 06:07 AM

317 posts, read 773,060 times
When Charlie came, my husband and his family headed to Tallahassee. However - they do NOT live in a CAT 5 rated home. Their home was built 30 years ago and is completely wood framed. It sustained considerable damage from Charlie and it was probably best that we left.

My family and I live in a newer home (not sure of the rating) but my daughters and I would leave if we were facing a Cat 4 or higher. They are too little to ride out a storm like that. Unfortunately, my husband usually must stay behind. He works as SM at a local home improvement store and must usually be there to supervise, deal with customers, etc. They get crazy when a storm is on its way.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:09 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,805,417 times
Cat 5's are rare - its more likely to see a 2 or 3. We had a very inland, new hurricane home and although I never evacuated - i would have to think about it for a Cat 5 - though I think under the newer codes - with a generator and as long as you are not in a flood zone and otherwise well prepared you would make it through. I would think you would have to be ready to be pretty self sufficient for at least a couple of weeks though (gas, water, food).

Old 11-29-2009, 07:49 AM

513 posts, read 1,224,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
So if you are in a Cat 5 rated house/condo built under the newer codes, and far enough inland to be in a low risk surge/flood zone, how does that work when a hurricane is coming?

What do normal people do? head north? hunker down and ride it out? Do people get caught in their cars stuck in traffic trying to get out?
Are you saying those condos you live in are CAT 5 rated? Or are you referring to another home?

Old 11-29-2009, 08:00 AM

206 posts, read 450,015 times
Quote:

I am new to the area, but unlike tornadoes you usually have a couple of days notice about where a hurricane is headed.

If a cat 5 was going to make a dircet hit on the Ft Myers area I would get my pets, my important papers, try and protect my belongings best I could and try and get out of the path of the storm.

The problem with that is getting back in I suppose.

What's worse is a sneaky tornado you have no warning for. My mother in law's house on the cape was severely damaged 2 years ago. She was watching TV and the roof blew off!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:29 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,285,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
Are you saying those condos you live in are CAT 5 rated? Or are you referring to another home?
I was led to believe that Paseo, like all construction built under the post Andrew codes, is built to Cat 5? please clarify if I am misunderstanding

I guess I am interested in anything specifically pertaining to my neighbourhood, if that is what you mean,...but was more interested in a general discussion of what inland people do in new-code homes out of reach of surge.

The slough is right there of course, and maybe a lot of rain could be problematic.

I see now that a forecast of a 3 vs 4 vs 5 makes a lot of difference as to how you would react, and that preparation for being without electric is key

I think the surge from a cat 5 could reach the 75?

Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 AM

317 posts, read 773,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
I am new to the area, but unlike tornadoes you usually have a couple of days notice about where a hurricane is headed.

If a cat 5 was going to make a dircet hit on the Ft Myers area I would get my pets, my important papers, try and protect my belongings best I could and try and get out of the path of the storm.

The problem with that is getting back in I suppose.

What's worse is a sneaky tornado you have no warning for. My mother in law's house on the cape was severely damaged 2 years ago. She was watching TV and the roof blew off!
Tornadoes are my worst nightmare! If there is a bad storm late at night, I just lay in bed waiting to hear that "train sound" people always talk about! My friends and family in TX always ask me how I can live here with hurricanes... but I would take a hurricane over a tornado any day. At least you have some warning!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I was led to believe that Paseo, like all construction built under the post Andrew codes, is built to Cat 5? please clarify if I am misunderstanding

I guess I am interested in anything specifically pertaining to my neighbourhood, if that is what you mean,...but was more interested in a general discussion of what inland people do in new-code homes out of reach of surge.

The slough is right there of course, and maybe a lot of rain could be problematic.

I see now that a forecast of a 3 vs 4 vs 5 makes a lot of difference as to how you would react, and that preparation for being without electric is key

I have no idea what the construction codes are? That's why I was asking you.

What is the FEMA flood zone designation for your community?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:

I looked up your Paseo Fort Myers condo development on FEMA.

It says you are flood zone AE (providing I did it right, which I'm pretty sure I did).

Definition of AE: "An area inundated by 100-year flooding, for which BFEs have been determined."

Flood Zone Definitions (http://www.floodinsights.com/floodlookups/floodzon.htm - broken link)
Attached Thumbnails
Hurricanes-screen-shot-2009-11-29-12.39.28  

Old 11-29-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
I looked up your Paseo Fort Myers condo development on FEMA.

It says you are flood zone AE (providing I did it right, which I'm pretty sure I did).

Definition of AE: "An area inundated by 100-year flooding, for which BFEs have been determined."

Flood Zone Definitions (http://www.floodinsights.com/floodlookups/floodzon.htm - broken link)
Here's the other map panel:
Attached Thumbnails
Hurricanes-screen-shot-2009-11-29-12.44.04  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area