Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:29 AM

681 posts, read 886,201 times

Advertisements

“ Financially speaking, this is the most difficult time we’ve ever found ourselves in,” Commissioner Frank Mann said. Mann called a press conference to rally support behind strict austerity measures.

Nobody is facing what’s going on here,” Mann said.

County Manager Karen Hawes on Monday will present about $48 million worth of spending cuts ahead of next year’s budget. Even with the cuts, the commission will have to look at raising its tax rate for the first time in more than a decade to help close a budget gap of around $84 million.

County employees will likely have to take off two weeks without pay. Library, park and office hours may be cut. Road and median projects could be slashed.

Properties in Lee are worth 15 percent less this year overall. Because local taxes are based on a property’s value, the county would have to raise its tax rate 18 percent to bring in the same amount of taxes next year.

• $416 million: county’s operating budget this year
• $84 million: budget gap next year without a tax rate increase
• 15 percent: drop in taxable property values
• 12.7 percent: latest Lee County unemployment rate "

June/25/2010
Lee County budget battle heats up | news-press.com | The News-Press (http://beta.news-press.com/article/20100625/NEWS01/100624058/https - broken link)

Comparing numbers...Cape Coral debt is over $1 bn. Almost three times more than the county's operating budget for a year!!

Last edited by yoko; 06-26-2010 at 12:46 AM..

Old 06-26-2010, 01:13 AM

" But trying to make up the entire $84 million shortfall in the budget for next year from spending cuts and reserves would require such severe reductions in parks, roads, libraries, transit and code enforcement that essential services would be jeopardized and reserves drawn down dangerously.

The property roll on which collections are based has dropped 33 percent in value over the past three years, with the loss of $158 million in revenues and no compensating tax rate increase. That’s meant a lot of tax relief for taxpayers out there, but it can’t continue forever.

Spending has been cut by $150 million and reserves being used to prop the budget up are depleting rapidly—and this with plenty of uncertainties facing the county from hurricanes and oil spills. "

June/26/2010
Editorial: County must consider a tax rate hike | news-press.com | The News-Press

Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 AM

173 posts, read 156,077 times
What's your point?

I've only recently joined these forums and already I've noticed that your sole goal in life appears to be posting negative comments about Florida's economy and its economic outlook.

You probably need to get out a bit more. Some European economies like Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy and Ireland are up ****-creek without a paddle. They're having to adjust and work their way through to recovery but they will.

The US amd many other countries have fallen victim to unheralded property inflation, which has led to the mother of all crashes.

Yet things will recover. From an external perspective, property prices are now affordable for mere mortals like me and I'm optimistic enough to buy.

These are actually pretty good times for some people even while it's pretty awful for others - isn't that how it's always been?

Why don't you spend some time looking for good news to report rather than just spreading doom and gloom. It might even make you feel better about yourself!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritPop View Post
Why don't you spend some time looking for good news to report rather than just spreading doom and gloom.
Good news and nice pictures of Cape Coral? Free advertisement?
I leave it to realtors who want to sell and to house owners who want to leave.

Last edited by yoko; 06-26-2010 at 06:35 AM..

Old 06-26-2010, 06:35 AM

173 posts, read 156,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Good news and nice pictures of Cape Coral?
I leave them to realtors and desperate house owners who want to leave.
I'm a "desperate" house owner who is buying a house in Cape Coral. Less than $250k for a gulf access home - bargain

Old 06-26-2010, 06:57 AM

282 posts, read 1,009,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritPop View Post
What's your point?

I've only recently joined these forums and already I've noticed that your sole goal in life appears to be posting negative comments about Florida's economy and its economic outlook.

You probably need to get out a bit more. Some European economies like Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy and Ireland are up ****-creek without a paddle. They're having to adjust and work their way through to recovery but they will.

The US amd many other countries have fallen victim to unheralded property inflation, which has led to the mother of all crashes.

Yet things will recover. From an external perspective, property prices are now affordable for mere mortals like me and I'm optimistic enough to buy.

These are actually pretty good times for some people even while it's pretty awful for others - isn't that how it's always been?

Why don't you spend some time looking for good news to report rather than just spreading doom and gloom. It might even make you feel better about yourself!
Great post! All this person ever does is post gloom and doom about Cape Coral. I am also a part timer in Cape Coral and have owned a home there for 3 years. I LOVE IT and have had no regrets at all. Have fun with your new home!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:34 AM

111 posts, read 287,460 times
Is it gloominatrix or doominatrix?

Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,889 times
It's true that Yoko is a little on the gloomy side and at first,I was taken aback since I'm as happy as clam in CC and compared to the northeast,taxes and services are a bargain.But,after reading his posts,I have to say that they are well researched and give you a side that you may not see otherwise........I read them with interest and then draw my own conclusion.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 AM

964 posts, read 2,066,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW_Pirate View Post
Is it gloominatrix or doominatrix?
That's priceless!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:29 PM

“ If the county cuts service levels this year, it will never be able to raise funds to reinstate those services.

The group meets again July 6 to set a maximum tax rate. If it splits, the maximum tax rate will automatically rise 18 percent — the number needed to keep the tax revenue constant next year.

“ We need to grab the wheel and take a huge spin to make a course correction.” “

June/24/2010
Lee County budget battle heats up | news-press.com | The News-Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area