Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM

20 posts, read 56,214 times

Advertisements

If you want access to Southlake without being in Southlake (prices are high), then true Keller is a good option. There are homes east of 377 for less than $200k. Check out Carriage Gate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:22 PM

30 posts, read 93,773 times
thank you for the tip! i'll look into that too.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
you get access to Southlake by driving there--it is open to anyone who wants to shop/visit--
you don't have to buy a 200K house in Keller to get it
Grapevine, Trophy Club, the Mid-Cities--all have "access" there...

Old 01-21-2011, 02:48 PM

425 posts, read 995,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky View Post
I'm wondering about other areas mainly because although hubby's job would be in N.Fort Worth there are no Montessori schools there-there is one in south fort worth and two in southlake.
I know of at *least* two Montessori schools in Keller. I drive by them whenever I go to the post office.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 PM

one of the most well-regarded Montessori schools is in Colleyville off 157--the Barbara Gordon Montessori--been there a long time

Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 PM

20 posts, read 56,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
you get access to Southlake by driving there--it is open to anyone who wants to shop/visit--
you don't have to buy a 200K house in Keller to get it
Grapevine, Trophy Club, the Mid-Cities--all have "access" there...
Sure. And Arlinton, Dallas, Paris and Greenville. Pedantic.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:33 AM

394 posts, read 1,257,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkon View Post
Sure. And Arlinton, Dallas, Paris and Greenville. Pedantic.
When I worked in NYC, the social climbers of the area would often strive to live in the more affluent communities when it came time to purchase a home. If they couldn't afford said community, many would buy a home as close as possible to the more desirable area while not actually living there. I've seen cases where when people would have a get together at their home, they'd make sure to route you through the nicer area, rather than provide a more direct route which would, of course, blow their cover.

In extreme (I suppose) cases, Realtors have been known to sell homes is less desirable areas to unsuspecting people by using the address or town name of a more desirable area nearby. There have actually been lawsuits against realtors when people found that their kids were actually zoned for the "lesser" school district.

My point? For a whole lot of people, just being within sniffing distance of the "upper crust" is good enough. You know, I hear the air is actually fresher in Southlake.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:38 AM

Your comment is exactly why the WEST side of 377 was allowed to use KELLER as mailing address when most of it is in the city limits of FTW--
(better) marketing drives sales and public perception...

Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 AM

425 posts, read 995,779 times
I'm not sure what the big deal is with Southlake - wouldn't the social climbers rather be associated with Westlake, which was recently designated the most affluent neighborhood in the US by Forbes magazine?

Me? Before I moved down to Texas, I'd never heard of Southlake or Keller - I bought on the west side of 377 in FORT WORTH, because the company I work for has its office right there. Living close to work was the biggest factor in my decision to buy here in FORT WORTH.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 AM

there is a world of difference between Southlake and Westlake--and while some people might think they can "cloak" themselves with a Southlake patina by living close--there is really no way to fudge with Westlake...if you know the two...

there were plenty of people who bought on the west side of 377 thinking they were buying in Keller--
it was a classic bait/switch proposition frankly--that is the problem I have with using one town's name which is not legally correct vs another
the developers of the neighborhoods drove it, the cities acceded and abetted, and so did many of the realtors who let the mailing address speak for itself vs telling people the truth...
many people were surpised/chagrined when they went to pay taxes and found out they were paying to city of FTW vs Keller--when they have FTW police/fire vs Keller services--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth