Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 16,445 times

Advertisements

I got a speeding ticket for going 79 on a 60 a month ago I am in the process of doing my defensive driving course for this ticket so it will not effect my insurance. I got a second ticket this month for going 76 on a 60... So my questions is what can I do for this second ticket so it will not effect my insurance or go against me? I have heard about doing deferred adjudication can i do this???. Someone help !
13 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.
Additional Details
I heard this online is this true?

1. Take the defensive driving course now. It will dismiss the first ticket and your Driving Record will only show that you took a defensive driving course (which you can show your insurance company and receive a reduction in your premium, usually 10%!).
2. Go to court on the second one and "plead no contest, request deferred ajudication" - the catch here is the judge sets the length of the deferment and during this time you CANNOT get any traffic violation tickets (it can range from 90 days to 6 months). There is a hefty penalty is you get more tickets. Just don't speed and get more tickets; always wear your seatbelt; stop at stop signs etc.

If you don't think you can do this - but it sounds like you just had a bad month, similar thing happened to me this year. No tickets in three years and then BAM, I have two in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 AM

157 posts, read 577,940 times
I got two in the same year & did defensive driving. It didn't have an effect on my insurance. I've heard about people going to court & having it dismissed because the cop didn't show, but I also heard cops are onto this & now show.

I would just pay it, finish your defensive driving, and be done. Oh, and slow down.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,315,119 times
No, no, no. Don't ever pay the full fine on a ticket directly to the municipality. That guarantees that it will go on your record and possibly impact your insurance rates.

I've been in your shoes a couple of times, where I've gotten a second ticket soon after exhausting the defensive driving option. The best option that I would recommend is taking the ticket to one of the attorneys that specializes in traffic ticket defense. I've used James Mallory and Jim Lawler with good results in the past. You typically pay an upfront fee of $40-50, get a probation offer in 6 months to a year, and pay the balance of the probation fee at that time. In my experience, the length of the probation is less than deferred adjudication (never longer than 3 months for me) and the fees are less than paying the full fine.

I'll add the disclaimer that I'm not an attorney, just someone with some experience with the situation you're in. And heights is right, slowing down will keep you (and me) out of this mess in the future.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 AM

2 posts, read 16,445 times
Default Question!

I am all new to this. I am 20 and just moved out to the area to go to TCU and without my parents I am clueless ! lol. So do I finish my defensive driving for the first ticket and THEN take the ticket to the traffic lawyer? is this not going to cost me a lot of money? and will it effect my insurance rates if I choose this option?? I do not want me insurance to sky rocket so I am trying to find the best possible option!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 AM

295 posts, read 949,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsx26 View Post
I am all new to this. I am 20 and just moved out to the area to go to TCU and without my parents I am clueless ! lol. So do I finish my defensive driving for the first ticket and THEN take the ticket to the traffic lawyer? is this not going to cost me a lot of money? and will it effect my insurance rates if I choose this option?? I do not want me insurance to sky rocket so I am trying to find the best possible option!
I would say watch for deadlines on the ticket. Make sure that if you turn it over to an attorney that he/she are looking at dates.

It will probably cost you more than what you would have paid for the tickets but I guess you already knew that.

More importantly, slow down!

good luck

Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM

211 posts, read 494,962 times
I'm pretty sure I put Mallory's kids through college with all the fees we paid him to fix tickets when my kids were in high school and then for the one who went to TCU. Then we did the same for a lawyer in Nacogdoches for my SFA son. (these were not just speeding tickets, actually.)

I would just turn everything over to him or Mr. Lawler, and pay the fees, knowing that it will take YEARS and finally be finished. In fact, my SFA son had to come back for a court appearance YEARS after his high school ticket. It's a hassle, but well worth it....from this parent's standpoint.

I know, I know...someone will give me the lecture on enabling, but they are both good citizens now, independent, self-sufficient, and with good jobs. It was the right thing to do at the time.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,315,119 times
lcsx26 - I replied to your message. Good luck.

My experience has been that the fees I've paid when I went through an attorney were never more than paying the fine.

I've had a dozen or so tickets in my 18 years of adulthood and I've never had one go on my record, either by taking defensive driving or running the ticket through an attorney.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:58 PM

194 posts, read 524,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsx26 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I go to TCU and just received a speeding ticket. I can't take defensive driving 'cause I already took it this year. I'm looking at couple of traffic attorneys right now, but not sure what I should do...

The cops here are relentless.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,632 times
I got a speeding ticket and then did the defensive driving and got it dismissed and off my record and taken care of and then I got another one a couple months later- ha I'm an idiot. How can I get the second one off my record? Do I just pay the fine and then go to court or what?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:46 PM

9 posts, read 13,174 times
I would think you could just do the defensive driving again. You could go see the district attorney at the court and see what they say on how to get it dismissed. That's what I did one time. I just showed up at the court house early one morning when the attorney was seeing people. The james mallory office wanted like $40 dollars to do it for me. I think it was the DA who I saw, anyway they worked for the court. The ticket I got was for speeding in a construction zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: