Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 6,661 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are hoping to move to the metroplex in July. I took a trip to explore the area a couple weeks ago, and only really got to see the Dallas side of things. We're both coming down in a couple more weeks to hopefully find a place, and I'd love to give Fort Worth a fair shot...given that I saw none of the city the last time, I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend some neighborhoods to check out...we basically just need a house with a fenced yard for our dogs...we're in our early 30s/late 20s without kids, so schools aren't a concern. And though we pay quite a bit more for rent right now, we'd like to stay under $1000 per month so that we can eventually save up for a down payment. Any input would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 10:27 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,004,277 times
some people won't rent to those with dogs--and some dogs in particular...
1K is not going to get you much even in areas where you might not care about schools--
you still care about crime...

do you have jobs?
if you don't, your choice of residence is going to pretty much decide where you look for work

check a map
the Metroplex is pretty large and working in Dallas and living in FTW is not what most people would choose to do--
especially (my pet peeve) because you would have the sun in your eyes traveling to and from work...been there/done that--not again...

many neighborhoods with rental homes have owners that don't use management agencies so they might not be listed with site like realtor.com
people find homes by driving through the neighborhoods and looking for sign in the yard
there are some homes in older neighborhoods by my newer one that go up for rent that way--but they are more than 1K a mo...

someone on another thread had a response about site to look at online--
maybe search this forum for a thread about rental homes...

Old 05-03-2014, 04:44 AM

5 posts, read 6,661 times
Right, we're aware that not all rentals allow dogs.

We both telecommute, so that's not a concern.

If you'd be so kind as to mention the names of these neighborhoods you're talking about, it would be much appreciated. That's pretty much what I'm after in this thread. From the listings I've seen on zillow, there are quite a few Fort Worth rental houses under $1000 - I just have no starting point for the area like I do with Dallas, so I'm not sure what areas would be palatable at the price versus those that would not even be a consideration.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:06 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,004,277 times
I live in north part of Hurst--north and east of the WalMart off Precinct Line Rd--
there are rental properties in the neighborhoods all around me--but they are sporadically listed with signs in the yards...
Hurst, Bedford, Euless, older part of North Richland Hills, Arlington (some parts) all have rental properties in areas you might consider

It is pretty safe area--maybe some car burglaries and houses broken in --
check crime map--but no violent crimes (at least that I am aware of)

The area SOUTH of the freeway all the way to Pipeline Rd/Hwy 10 has rental properties as well--and these are more likely to be 1K or less--but the area is more sketchy--
usually smaller and older--some with 1 car garages, some with garage conversions--
the quality of the neighborhoods can vary street to street--
some homes well-tended and some pretty trashed...
I put that down to rental properties vs owner occupied w/o knowing any actual details...

I don't know that much about FTW except in general since haven't lived there--
you would do better to post zip codes or major streets if you want something specific about ones you have seen listed on-line...

and I wouldn't shop Zillow--even for rental info--
be careful if you use Craigslist too--

Old 05-07-2014, 12:55 PM

58 posts, read 97,771 times
I'll throw in my opinion since I have basically the same rental criteria as you. Yes, you can find a house for less than $1000 but it will be VERY hard.

The homes you see for rent that are less than 1k are probably in East Fort Worth...between I35 and the East Loop 820? I would avoid that area. It's very dangerous and while many people can pinpoint a few okay areas - if you're not VERY familar with the area, I wouldn't risk it. I am not from Fort Worth and basically anything in that area is an automatic no-go. I would also avoid the Como are North of Vickery and South of I30.

As for the house you could get, it will most likely be older. I'm talking only 1-bathroom old. However, I've seen plenty of older homes that are in great shape! If it is an older home and being in Texas, it is very important to ask for the electric bills in the Summer to make sure the Home isn't going to cost $300+. Honestly, that's good practice for any home you may rent.

I would look in the Far SW Fort Worth area..Outside of the loop. That's a decent area and I've come across a few nice older home there. Basically, little bedroom neighborhoods/communities outside the loop will be your best bet with that budget - you'll in up in bad parts of town inside the loop for 1k a month!

If you find a listing on Zillow - BE SURE you backtrack through to the MLS listing or the rental agency and call a number you find on their websites. Do not call the number on the Zillow ad! And just be VERY careful on Craigslist! I know of people who went to go see a house they found on Craigslist. Met the agent, and viewed the house (actually went inside!) paid 2k+ worth of deposits and we're taken for their money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth