Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 AM

14 posts, read 30,891 times

Advertisements

My son (9) and I recently relocated to Irving from Indiana for a job transfer. We currently live in Irving 75038. I HATE apartment living!!! Did I say....HATE?!

I have been searching with our Realtor for a home. We have looked (physically looked) at just over 40 houses since late March. Yes, 40! I found a house I am in love with, but not sure of the location (neighborhood) or the commute to work in Las Colinas (75062). We haven't gone to look at it yet, but with how fast the market is moving right now, I'd like to make a decision as quickly as possible once we do go see it.

Please advise:
1. from east Arlington to las Colinas google says 24min drive taking 360N to 183E to N'Oconnor. I don't think there is much congestion (stalled/slow traffic) once on 183, but what about 360?? Let's say around 7/8am and again around 5/6pm. Will my drive be about 30min or are we talking more like an hour?

2. school ratings seem low, but parents give them 4 stars. Should I rely on the ratings as 100%?
and does that mean that he will not get a good education? Could I choose to place him in a "better" public school?

3. the demographics are somewhat concerning, but I don't know how the demographics compare to Indy since I haven't been here that long. I have looked for bars on store windows, how people take care of their yards/homes, and trashy looking streets to be my point of knowledge. is it a safe area? Can I trust my son will be safe if he rides his bike through the neighborhood? Should I be afraid to be out at night?

I know I am asking a lot, but deciding on a home on my own is hard enough, but knowing I will have to raise my son there....it's scary! ANY advice, suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated!! (sooner the better).

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:17 AM

194 posts, read 306,385 times
The 360 part of the commute would concern me. .. I commute across 183 daily (from Tarrant County into Dallas) and often see backedup traffic waiting to exit to 360 Southbound in the afternoon, ESPECIALLY when the Rangers or Cowboys are playing, but that's not always the cause of the backup.

Have you looked at the apartments in the Euless area? I don't know anything about them, but many just west of the airport look very nice, and I think the schools are decent.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
You don't give a price point for home shopping--so can't really recommend any areas that might be better than the zip code you say you are looking at--
frankly wouldn't recommend that because don't think the schools are good -- and the area is dicey even if there are no bars on house windows--
check a crime map online and one for that shows sexual offenders--

183 is a terrible commute any direction and around 360 into Irving proper to Loop 12 it gets bad--lot of traffic AM and PM
I wouldn't trust Google map time for accuracy

check out something along the George Bush toll road--and just drive the access road if you want to save money--

Old 04-28-2014, 12:44 PM

58 posts, read 97,461 times
I agree with the above. In general, the closer you are to Six Flgas, Jerry's World and the Ballpark, the worse the area is. There may not be burglur bars, but this area tends to be old and rundown.

Please do look at crime maps - Just looking at 76010 on a Trulia crime map shows almost the entire zip code as being "less safe" that other parts of town.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 AM

83 posts, read 169,468 times
Even if Arlington ISD did have good school ratings(which they don't), I still wouldn't recommend that area. The crime rate in that area is enough to keep me away. To answer your third question, no I wouldn't feel safe having my child ride his bike around the neighborhood, and I would try to avoid going outside after dark. You should look at Euless, the crime rate is significantly lower than Arlington, there are more safer neighborhoods, and you'll have an easier commute into work. However, the houses will be more expensive than the Arlington neighborhood you were looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth