Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,934 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are from Chicago and looking for a second home in Fort Worth to get closer to our kids. In looking at a map of Fort Worth, it is a bit intimidating and hard to pick some neighborhoods to focus on.

We are active 50 y/o's, looking for a nice and safe location with good amenities nearby, and ideally 20-25 mins from TCU. There will be times when we stay in Chicago for 2-3 months straight, so knowing that our home is safe is important.

Can anyone suggest a few neighborhoods to start in given my description above?

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM

540 posts, read 1,106,137 times
Fort Worth is a fairly hot market at the moment...especially depending on price range. I know of several acquaintances who have been searching for months and keep getting outbid or appraisal is less than selling price, etc. So...what is your budget? Also, what size house is acceptable? 1500sq? 2000sq?

Old 06-26-2017, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,934 times
We are looking for a typical 3BR, 2BA SFH or Townhome (we have not yet made that distinction) in the $160-220K range with maybe 1,600-2,000 sf. We are flying down in 3 weeks to meet with a couple of realtors and start answering our questions. I'm just trying to narrow down the initial search from all of FW to maybe half a dozen neighborhoods.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:40 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
$160-220k is going to be difficult. First, the lower end of your price range is going to be in marginal neighborhoods where safety may be an issue. Second, any house in your entire price range, and up to $300k, is an extremely competitive market right now. You will be competing against other buyers, many of whom offer over the asking price.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:50 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
Look outside of the Tanglewood Elementary school zone. The area is a great place to live but you will be paying a premium for something you won't be using which is sending kids to Tanglewood.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:51 PM

197 posts, read 229,411 times
You might consider the Westworth Village / Burton Hill area. It's right next to the Trinity Trails, close enough to TCU for you, and is located adjacent to the River District redevelopment (which might be good from an investment standpoint). While the elementary school serving this area (Burton Hill) is widely considered to be the second-best elementary in the Fort Worth school district, I don't think there is too much of a "school premium" for this area (the middle and high schools aren't as good).

You might also consider looking into the Benbrook area, specifically the areas south of I-20. There is access to the parks adjacent to Benbrook Lake, and a portion of the Trinity Trails does reach Winscott Road in southern Benbrook. It should also be within 25 minutes of TCU as well. Benbrook is also in the Fort Worth school district, and that district's less-than-stellar reputation outside of the Tanglewood area should be helpful with regard to having lower home prices (compared to something like Aledo). That said, with regard to the possibility of "school premiums," consider that Benbrook's Westpark Elementary is one of the better schools in the district, but as with elsewhere in the Fort Worth school district, the middle and high school situation could be better.

As you're not looking at having children in school, finding safe neighborhoods with so-so public schools can only work in your favor with regard to home prices.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Are you kids in college or adults, working w/children...
I think you will have difficult time finding what you want in that price range
Plus if your children are just starting in careers they could well relocate--even just to Dallas which likely would make a difference to your situation since you are only moving here to be close to them...

We have 2 homes--one in Hurst (MidCities east of FTW) and one in Sarasota FL area
We are retired and travel back and forth 4-5 times a year

It is expensive having two homes...especially when there are major repairs needed
We had to have one of 3 AC units replaced at TX home in Dec and a water heater for the second time since owning it
Have to have FL house painted this summer...
Plus taxes and insurance (we have no mortgage)

The one great thing about having the FL house is that we were lucky enough to buy next door to our daughter n her family...the convenience just can't be beat...
Even when I consider having a smaller condo closer to the beach (which seems to be what most people retiring to FL want) I would not take that for having my grandson walk next door any time to visit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth