Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 12:42 AM

3 posts, read 1,920 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relocating to Fort Worth for a new job within a couple of weeks and have been researching the area for the past 2 weeks. I've only been to downtown FW once for an office visit and really don't know anything about the surrounding area. I narrowed it down to 2 apartment complex but have concerns/questions about how safe (or unsafe) the area is after seeing the crime rates.

I am looking at "The Scenic" at Scenic Bluff (999 Scenic Hill Dr, Fort Worth, TX 76111) and "Kelley at Samuels Ave" at Rock Island (769 Samuels Ave, Fort Worth, TX 76102).

I chose these two because they are new developments with great amenities, dog-friendly, gated, individual garages are available for rent and close to work. I live alone so schools are irrelevant.

I am very excited about the new life in FW and would love to have a good start. Any input about these areas will be greatly appreciated and if these are absolutely bad choices for safety concerns, I would really appreciate suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 04:37 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
The area off Sylvania can be rough, especially around I30 and Belknap. There are a bunch of used car lots and bars right down the street from those apartments. Consider: where will you have to go to buy groceries from there?

Old 11-27-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The area off Sylvania can be rough, especially around I30 and Belknap. There are a bunch of used car lots and bars right down the street from those apartments. Consider: where will you have to go to buy groceries from there?
Thank you so much for the response, ChristieP. So the complex at Scenic Bluff would not be a good choice. What are your thoughts on the Rock Island area? Is it better or just as bad?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:20 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,316,643 times
Both are in historic neighborhoods that have gentrified over the last several years. The Rock Island area has a mix of large historic homes in various states of remodel and smaller lower quality old homes. Many of the smaller homes in the area have been demolished to build the apartment and condo developments that are there now. It has the advantage of being a fairly reasonable walking distance (or even a very cheap Uber ride) from the center of downtown. The Scenic Bluff area has just been developed in recent years, similarly replacing and being bordered by small, older homes. It's been slower to come together, so the area is probably a little rougher than Rock Island. I wouldn't let that scare you away from Scenic Bluff. The area is improving and will only continue to get better. There are some really nice homes just to the north of there, especially in the Oakhurst neighborhood. The Race Street area just to the east is developing into a nice restaurant and social area. At both locations, you're going to have to travel for shopping, Target and Tom Thumb on 7th Street and Wal Mart at 121 and Beach Street. The Wal Mart is closer, but in a little more rough neighborhood. That said, it's about par for the course as far as Wal Mart goes (Wal Mart can be pretty rough in the nicest neighborhoods).

Old 11-27-2018, 08:44 AM

160 posts, read 196,456 times
If you don't mind a 10-15 minute drive....look at the apartments on River Park Drive just to the southwest of downtown.

Decently priced, quite, close to downtown, easy access to both highways I20 or I30 for major dining and shopping, mostly young professionals with some TCU students mixed in.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
Both are in historic neighborhoods that have gentrified over the last several years. The Rock Island area has a mix of large historic homes in various states of remodel and smaller lower quality old homes. Many of the smaller homes in the area have been demolished to build the apartment and condo developments that are there now. It has the advantage of being a fairly reasonable walking distance (or even a very cheap Uber ride) from the center of downtown. The Scenic Bluff area has just been developed in recent years, similarly replacing and being bordered by small, older homes. It's been slower to come together, so the area is probably a little rougher than Rock Island. I wouldn't let that scare you away from Scenic Bluff. The area is improving and will only continue to get better. There are some really nice homes just to the north of there, especially in the Oakhurst neighborhood. The Race Street area just to the east is developing into a nice restaurant and social area. At both locations, you're going to have to travel for shopping, Target and Tom Thumb on 7th Street and Wal Mart at 121 and Beach Street. The Wal Mart is closer, but in a little more rough neighborhood. That said, it's about par for the course as far as Wal Mart goes (Wal Mart can be pretty rough in the nicest neighborhoods).
Thank you very much for your response. Rock Island sounds like a safer area between two as I suspected. I am flying down to FW to see the apartments in person in a few days. Hopefully, I will make the right decision. Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:38 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
At both locations, you're going to have to travel for shopping, Target and Tom Thumb on 7th Street and Wal Mart at 121 and Beach Street. The Wal Mart is closer, but in a little more rough neighborhood. That said, it's about par for the course as far as Wal Mart goes (Wal Mart can be pretty rough in the nicest neighborhoods).
I would strongly recommend going to the Target and Tom Thumb in West 7th instead of that Wal-Mart. Beach Street is pretty rough area, especially after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth