Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 12:41 AM

10 posts, read 8,784 times

Advertisements

I am a transplant to Texas and I've lived happily in Plano for 3 years. Now my job has gone remote I'm free to relocate. Fort Worth is so appealing and I have family in Arlington. I have scoured the internet and found beautiful apartments to rent near the river and Trinity Walk with amazing city views and fantastic amenities. Then I went and looked at the crime rate. Wow! It looks terrible. Whats the point of living near beautiful walks if it's too dangerous to be outside?

I've spent weeks researching and now I feel so disappointed. Maybe I should have looked at the crime rate first but I've been to FW quite a few times and it always looked clean and safe. I thought it would be fun to experience city life.

I'm finding it hard to believe. Is it really that dangerous?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 04:28 AM

11,882 posts, read 26,972,346 times
Can you give us some cross streets? I’m not sure where you are referring to.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:20 PM

468 posts, read 478,852 times
Any place with more people and traffic is gonna show more crime activity than sfh areas. And Even more so if there's a lot of nitelife activity.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:22 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,861,507 times
Your going to have to deal with some crime if you want to live in the central city. Fort Worth is a relatively safe big city.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Can you give us some cross streets? I’m not sure where you are referring to.
I narrowed my search to the Presidio at River East on Race Street. There's a few other potential buildings in that area, Jefferson River East on Oakhurst Scenic Drive and The Union at River East also on Race Street.

They are all east of downtown. I'm totally in love with the DFW sunsets. Where I currently live I have a 180 degree view of the skyline and it's just awesome views. The sunsets really feed my soul! The idea of a city scape with the sunset backdrop and the nighttime view has me hooked. All those apartments have that.

The also have the beautiful river walks. I'm a single 50 year old woman and I love to walk but in Plano I have to drive to a park. In FW I would be able to step outside and just start walking.

It all seemed so perfect until I looked at the crime maps. It looks like North Richland Hills is the only safe place near FW and that wasn't my plan at all. Looking at street view I see why it's so safe. It's barren.

What are your thoughts/opinions?

Old 01-06-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Any place with more people and traffic is gonna show more crime activity than sfh areas. And Even more so if there's a lot of nitelife activity.
That's interesting. I should dig a bit deeper and look at the types of crimes. Thank you.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Your going to have to deal with some crime if you want to live in the central city. Fort Worth is a relatively safe big city.
I'm most concerned about my personal safety. I wouldn't know how to deal with that.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:52 AM

194 posts, read 307,542 times
Race Street is in transition: it's been an older neighborhood for so long, and is just now getting all those apartments. I've wondered how all of that will fit in, and how the streets/traffic will handle the growth. We love the Tributary Cafe and the stretch of Race Street it's on, and hope it's not spoiled with the growth.

We often drive to downtown FTW via 26/Belknap, and note the changing neighborhoods along the way. Just a few blocks south of 26 is East Lancaster, with the homeless shelters and services. It's a rough section of the city, certainly. Race Street isn't that far.

I think the crime rate will drop with all the new apartments and occupants, but it may take some time. I'd not really want to be a pioneer there, truthfully.

If I were recommending or considering an area for a single woman, I'd be more comfortable recommending along West 7th or in downtown FTW itself.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:46 AM

468 posts, read 478,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarelyrackul View Post
That's interesting. I should dig a bit deeper and look at the types of crimes. Thank you.
Yes, even in Plano crime maps will show more crime near shopping areas, busy parks and nightlife. That's why East Plano with all the bars will always have that rep in Plano even if many parts are great areas for families nowadays.

Old 01-06-2021, 01:27 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,234,939 times
If you're worried about safety, I'd look west of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth