Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 07:39 AM

109 posts, read 142,567 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to move to the Dallas Fort Worth area in 2020. I have been to Dallas, but not to Fort Worth. There are many things that I look forward to about the Dallas area. However, as I'm searching for jobs, it appears that there are many jobs in Fort Worth in my field. It seems that Dallas and Fort Worth get clumped together since they are in the same metro area. What are the major differences between the two? Obviously size is one difference, but what are some other things I should know? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 09:32 AM

14 posts, read 48,524 times
The major job centers tend to be clustered to types of jobs. Downtown Dallas is consulting and startups. West Plano/Frisco/Addison is newer tech, large fortune 50 companies. Irving is mortgage and banking. Fort Worth is more industrial. So depends on what field your job is in. I work in tech so I can work in any of those areas but am more open source techs so West Plano, Frisco, Addison is best for me.

Fort Worth and Dallas are VERY different. Forth Worth you'll see a lot of folks dressed in Cowboy hats and jeans. The feel is very different as well. Forth Worth is very rustic, Dallas is like most large cities outside the NYC, SFO, DC types except they lack a bit of the connected public transportation.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:26 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Well, I don't know any actual Dallasites or Fort Worthians who "clump them together".

Ft. Worth is a smaller city and the feel is a bit more laid back (though make no mistake, in the context of the whole USA it's still a big city). Do not think, however, that you're going to see cattle drives down Main St. or some such nonsense.

As a native Dallasite I would be very happy to live in Ft. Worth.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:47 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
I grew up in an east Dallas suburb, and I now live in a Fort Worth suburb. I can definitely say that Fort Worth is more laid back, and a more relaxed city overall than Dallas. To me, Fort Worth feels like a small town, even though it is a major metro area. The people are friendlier, and traffic isn't quite as bad. Fort Worth also tends to be more politically conservative than Dallas. Both cities have a diverse employment base. I worked in healthcare for the last 16 years, and there were plenty of jobs in that industry in both cities. The cost of living in Fort Worth is lower than in Dallas, so Fort Worth salaries are also a little bit lower than Dallas salaries.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:14 AM

194 posts, read 305,909 times
I live in North Richland Hills but work in Dallas. I'll always prefer Tarrant County for living, and specifically Fort Worth for shopping, dining and entertainment!

In addition to all of the above observations, Fort Worth is MUCH easier to navigate. Even 35W, though it has its issues, is easier than 35E any day, any time. Fort Worth's downtown streets are clearly marked and in a nice grid pattern. I get hopelessly lost in downtown Dallas.

Walking in/around Sundance Square is a pure pleasure. I haven't found anyplace like that in downtown Dallas.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:06 PM

109 posts, read 142,567 times
Thank you all for the insights! The more laid-back atmosphere and lower cost of living in Fort Worth does sound appealing. I'm going to keep applying in both places and see what happens.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:26 AM

1,158 posts, read 960,147 times
I've lived in the Fort Worth area for 15 years and it is rare to see people in cowboy hats unless it's
Stockshow time. Honestly there are more cowboys in Colorado..lol

Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I've lived in the Fort Worth area for 15 years and it is rare to see people in cowboy hats unless it's
Stockshow time. Honestly there are more cowboys in Colorado..lol
Thank you for saying that because I get tired of that stereotype.

You see more people in jeans and cowboy hats around The Stockyards, and most of them are just tourists.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:03 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
Honestly, it depends on where you go. I used to do a lot of business at the DR Horton Towers (yes I know the name has changed but they will still be the DR Horton Towers to me) and I was always surprised by how many men I saw entering and leaving the offices and elevators who were wearing boots. While it wasn't the majority, it was enough for me to notice. Fort Worth residents don't go around with a cowboy hat on but boots are considered acceptable footwear and I know many who collect them.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:09 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Honestly, it depends on where you go. I used to do a lot of business at the DR Horton Towers (yes I know the name has changed but they will still be the DR Horton Towers to me) and I was always surprised by how many men I saw entering and leaving the offices and elevators who were wearing boots. While it wasn't the majority, it was enough for me to notice. Fort Worth residents don't go around with a cowboy hat on but boots are considered acceptable footwear and I know many who collect them.
I never owned a pair of boots but I do want some. The only reason I don’t own a pair is because they’re expensive. There are plenty of men out there that wear boots that are not associated with cowboy culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth