Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 12:06 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,348,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Yeah a lot of people do it. A lot of Lockheed employees live in Parker County which is on the western side of Fort Worth. Weatherford it’s self doesn’t have a lot of industry. It also lacks any large concentration of white collar employment. There are 2 hospitals and a lot of large car dealerships. I assume most people commute outside of the community for work or work for a small business.

I-20 and I-30 probably weren’t too bad 10-20 years ago but with all the growth and development I bet that commute will start to get worse and longer. Plus, you’re looking into the sun both ways.

Fort Worth is also sort of limited in industry. They don’t have the large corporate and tech presence Dallas has. They also don’t have as many financial service jobs. Fort Worth’s bread and butter has always been pork barrel federal spending on defense. Lockheed and Bell are big there. American Airlines is way over on the Far East side of Fort Worth. Downtown Fort Worth is frequently overestimated as a job center. A lot of the big names in downtown pulled out over the last decade and many of the office buildings are or have been converted to other uses. At one time downtown Dallas had more vacant office space than Fort Worth had in total, in the entire city.
Gosh, that is true! I never even thought of that! Ugh....I hate long commutes!

I was thinking only recently that the pile up I see on I30 headed west from a couple of miles or so east of downtown all the way past Ridgmar Mall had to be from people working in Fort Worth, Arlington, and perhaps even further east. The older I became, the less I wanted to commute for work or anything else. I have had a small 2/1 near the university for many years now, but the real property market is pushing me further out (albeit not as far as Weatherford!), so now I am very seriously thinking of downsizing to what will fit into a tiny garage apartment just so I can afford the rent and remain in this area. There is an old sort-of-joke that the three most important things in real estate are location, location, and location. I could not agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 12:08 PM

11,876 posts, read 26,955,398 times
I will disagree. I worked in healthcare in/around Fort Worth for over 15 years. Healthcare is a huge sector of the local economy. Colleges/universities /higher education also have a significant presence (TCU, Texas Wesleyan, A&M Law, TCCC). There are also quite a few oil and gas, and engineering firms in Fort Worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth