Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,783 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am taking a job in Glen Rose and need the inside scoop of where we should live.
I am moving from Toronto so I want to be as close to FW as possible but don't want a long commute.

We looked into Granbury, but we are wondering if that is a good place for a young couple to start a family.
Is there anywhere else we should look?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,834 times
Glen Rose is a long drive to Fort Worth. A couple of small towns and a lot of land in between the two. Glen Rose and any of the towns near or around Glen Rose should fit your needs and wants.

I have been to both Glen Rose and Granbury only as a visitor.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 PM

540 posts, read 1,106,419 times
Glen Rose is roughly an hour drive to southwest FW. I think Granbury is a good compromise...closer to FW but still only around 20 minutes or so (depending on exactly where and traffic) to Glen Rose. Another option might be Cleburne. Less than 30 minutes to Glen Rose roughly.

That said if you are starting a family, you'll want to check school districts and I don't know about those.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:52 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,760,577 times
Jpatel, I am very familiar with these areas. First off, I am assuming you are wanting to buy a home, especially if you are wanting to start a family? For the most part, schools play a big factor into buying/selling a home in TX. There are pros and cons to living in Glen Rose and if you are coming from a city like Toronto to a small town like Glen Rose, or even Granbury...that is going to be a whole different ball of wax. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or criteria about Glen Rose/Granbury or any of the surrounding areas. I could tell you about it here but it would be a very looong post, lol.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
most people would say that schools in Glen Rose/Granbury area are not same quality as those inside FTW/Dallas area--the metroplex...
you can check all school ratings at the Texas Education Agency web site
Exemplary is top rating for school and elementary schools have easier time getting exemplary rating than junior or senior high schools for variety of reasons...

from what I have read you won't find lot of rental properties either apartments or homes in those smaller towns
and you are very likely going to be bored out of your skull coming from Toronto which is one of the most well-ranked cities for quality of life...
there is NO public transportation and neither town is really walkable--
you will need to have a car and probably two for a couple --

what made you take a job there (which is none of my business I know) but did you even tour the town before taking the job offer???

I think you will find that the mind-set of people in the smaller towns of TX is very different from what you probably experienced in Toronto--
shopping, restaurants, night life are all fairly limited and people are much more conservative in values vs cosmopolitan in outlook...
if you are SE Asian (which your sign on seems to indicate) there may be very few people from your ethnic group around...if that is important cultural aspect to you
Not saying people are overtly racist but there is lack of common experience/grounding that might make you feel isolated...

Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,891,175 times
Since you do not have kids yet, and schools are at least 6+ years away... rent first. You may not even have this job by the time you have kids and esp. by the time those "future" kids are in school.

Glen Rose is a pretty little town, The HS has a BEAUTIFUL sports complex! Dinosaur Valley is there and so is the river that runs tube rides etc.. is close.

However, it is VERY small and since you are coming from not only a big city but another country...I would seriously consider looking at either Stephenville (has a college so you will have professors living there etc)Granbury or Cleburne and drive into Glen Rose for work. That way you have better acess to shopping, some entertainment etc...
Also the Rental market in both those towns will be much better than Glen Rose.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Agree with 5stones to rent first since schools are not an issue right now. Real estate in smaller towns can move very slowly and you could be stuck holding a house you no longer need if you change jobs and move into town.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:01 AM

96 posts, read 209,720 times
Granbury. It's got everything you need and it's a short drive to Ft. Worth and Weatherford. Glen Rose is very nice but a small town.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 PM

83 posts, read 169,468 times
I have to agree that Granbury or Cleburne are your best best, these two cities are almost equidistance from Glenrose, Cleburne is about 6 miles further. Housing prices will be comparable in either of these cities. I would probably choose Cleburne if I were in your position, because it is still close enough to Fort Worth, and there are other cities nearby like Burleson that have stores like Target, Lowe's, Home Depot etc, so you probably wouldn't have to go into Fort Worth much. You should wait until you get down here before you make a decision.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 PM

656 posts, read 1,356,492 times
I would go with Granbury as well. Not too far from Glen Rose and has a nice small town atmosphere to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth