Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:29 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've just moved to FW from Austin and am missing all of the great BBQ from Central TX. We tried Railhead last night, but we were very unimpressed. The meat was decent, but the sides were horrendous--the worst I've ever had anywhere.

I have heard some good (and some bad) things about Angelo's, and Riscky's. What do you think? Any others that you like? How is Cousin's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 01:29 PM

264 posts, read 701,690 times
Since we moved from Austin, we haven't found anywhere that can compare to Kreuz', Smitty's or even Salt Lick (which is ok). Angelo's is decent.I'd put it slightly ahead of Ruby's......and that's not saying much. We just determined that we'll take a few weekend trips down to Lockhart or Luling during the year.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverchris View Post
Since we moved from Austin, we haven't found anywhere that can compare to Kreuz', Smitty's or even Salt Lick (which is ok). Angelo's is decent.I'd put it slightly ahead of Ruby's......and that's not saying much. We just determined that we'll take a few weekend trips down to Lockhart or Luling during the year.
I suspected that might be so. Since you know Austin and FW, another couple of things we're missing include: 1) swimming holes and 2) HEB. Any suggestions on either count?

Old 08-29-2009, 02:23 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
I don't think you'll find any swimming holes to compare to Austin....but you can always try Burger's Lake and see if it's better than all the water parks.

HEB is where my daughter preferred to shop while she was in Austin going to UT. Here she shops at Walmart or Target because they are cheaper than most of the actual grocery stores and because they are convenient.

As far as BBQ, it does tend to be very subjective.

People who leave the area always come back for Sonny Bryan's, Cousins, Riscky's and Angelo's.

Others love the chains like Dickey's, Spring Creek.

Others love the local places like Sammy's in Haltom City and Up in Smoke in Keller. Those you just have to find and try to see if they fit what you are looking for.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:00 PM

264 posts, read 701,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I suspected that might be so. Since you know Austin and FW, another couple of things we're missing include: 1) swimming holes and 2) HEB. Any suggestions on either count?

My wife misses HEB more than anything. We shop at Central Market since they carry a bunch of HEB items (we shopped at the HEB in Escarpment in Austin).

Swimming holes? Couldn't tell you. The park system here is bad...really bad. The only reason we're here is due to my job. If things would change at my old place in Austin, I'd be back in a minute. We miss the Barton Creek greenbelt & Pedernales Falls more than anything.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:46 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverchris View Post
The park system here is bad...really bad. The only reason we're here is due to my job. If things would change at my old place in Austin, I'd be back in a minute. We miss the Barton Creek greenbelt & Pedernales Falls more than anything.
Some parts may be bad....but you can find some beautiful places to be if you look in the right places! Try the Fort Worth Nature Center or River Legacy or the Botanic Gardens for beautiful places of nature.

If you are looking for places to play sports or playgrounds or bike then there are tons of great places to play for that as well.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:41 PM

67 posts, read 97,395 times
Good stuff.

Danny D's BBQ

All you can eat ribs on Wednesday and Thursday nights, from 4pm-9pm
Only $13.99 per person

Old 08-29-2009, 10:52 PM

98 posts, read 321,164 times
Just came back from DFW today and I didn't like Riscky's but loooooved Mike Andersons.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I usually like The Railhead's BBQ. The only side I've ever had are the fries, and they're great IMO! Angelo's and Cousin's have great BBQ, but their sauce is too thin. Riscky's I've heard bad things about, but I've never been there. I still miss Jetton's (anyone remember them?).

Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,239 times
Cousins is ok, but Up In Smoke on highway 377 in Keller, TX is better than most. Red Hot and Blue is also pretty decent. Risky's is disgusting.

Good barbeque is a rare find around these parts. But of course, I am native to Kansas City, where BBQ is King.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth