Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 AM

11 posts, read 19,729 times

Advertisements

I'm a mother of 6 and moving from Las Vegas, Nv back to Texas. But would like to avoiding going back to El Paso due to lack of jobs and being African American I don't speak Spanish. So were at a lost we are considering Fort Worth,Texas. I'm a little afraid of the crime in Fort Worth, Texas and the cost of living. I need to live in a city were there is equal opportunity for all not just Hispanics. Going for my Nursing degree will transfer to the community college out there. What are the safe sides of town?? are there a lot of activities kids can do???? Are there any people from El Paso that relocated to Fort Worth out there that can give me any insight???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,507 times
I have lived in both areas and would say the Fort worth area is much safer than El Paso. The cost of living is similar. As with any other large city there are good parts and bad parts. If you are looking at attending Tarrant County Community College to complete your nursing degree, then you might want to consider living towards the south side of town or in one of the southern suburbs. I think most of the nursing courses are offered at the south campus. It would also keep you pretty close to the hospitals downtown.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 AM

358 posts, read 472,159 times
Juarez and El Paso is in the crosshairs of the drug wars, no contest for what your goals are.

I have lived in Fort Worth since 86 and it is my second choice state wide, Austin-San Antiono is #1.

BTW, you can and should learn Spanish for nursing anyway, it will help where ever you are.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboni95 View Post
I'm a mother of 6 and moving from Las Vegas, Nv back to Texas. But would like to avoiding going back to El Paso due to lack of jobs and being African American I don't speak Spanish. So were at a lost we are considering Fort Worth,Texas. I'm a little afraid of the crime in Fort Worth, Texas and the cost of living. I need to live in a city were there is equal opportunity for all not just Hispanics. Going for my Nursing degree will transfer to the community college out there. What are the safe sides of town?? are there a lot of activities kids can do???? Are there any people from El Paso that relocated to Fort Worth out there that can give me any insight???
Are you going for the LNP or 2year RN or BSN? One of my friends went to school in Beaumont TX because it was the easiest to get into for the 2yr RN. But there is a local school in Ft Worth for the LNP program but I am not sure where it is located.

I happened to move to Indiana to care for my mother and got into the PTA program and will be finishing in 7 weeks and returning to Arl. TX in May 09. With 6 children , you will have to plan everything out, program the kids to go to bed so you have time to study at night. I know of one woman with 3 young boys who moved into a travel trailer in order to finish the PTA program. And hers boys were willing to sacrifice with her which I found to be admirable of them. So she only has one more year.

El Paso is an isolated city...your only choice is Mexico border; that's IT. The next major city is Abliene, TX, a 10 to13 hour drive which is closer to Ft. Worth. You have other alternative of other cities surrounding Ft. Worth. If you a serious about nursing then move close to the school of your choice and work from there. There is always work study, CNA training Rehab aide etc to get you through

Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 15,293 times
I have lived in both places and it just depends what you are looking for. Abilene is not the closest major city to EP. Phoenix is just about 5 hours away and Santa Fe, NM and Albuquerque are about 3 1/2 to 4 hours as well. Even Midland/Odessa are about 4 hours or so. Anyway, EP has rich culture, great Mexican food and a really good cost of living. Not to mention the climate is dryer so you don't have the humidity or tornados that FW does. Healthcare is always booming over there because of the tie ins to Mexico. Healthcare jobs are in high demand!

The bad part about EP is that the town is run with an 'older frame of mind' so there isn't alot to do for young families and it kinda leaves the town stuck in a time warp. Not alot of growth in those departments. There is definitely alot more to do in FW and the immediate surrounding areas and there is a nice focus on tourism and education which i do love. Money coming into the city for these things really helps make it an attractive place to live. From what I understand FW is just going to get stronger too in the coming years. Now that the Dallas Cowboys are in Tarrant County (the county in which FW is in) as well as the Texas Rangers, Six Flags, etc. there is a desire to keep the area growing. It can only get better.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 9,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboni95 View Post
WELL! I live in Fort Worth but have a keller ISD so if you have children this is the place to be. ALSO, we are selling our beautiful home to down size if you are looking for a nice home for your family or up coming family. We are in the number one community. If you want info on my home just email me and I will send you info or pics. we are under priced due to the economy. I don't think there is another home in this community that is priced as good as mine. I went into some that are for sale and they are ok, not great but want a small bundle for them, crazy people they won't get what they are asking! My home is 4/5 bdrm. three bath brick home a must see home for $205, it is a steel. We are near the best nursing school too! let me know if you need info. [EMAIL="jnjbrace@msn.com"]jnjbrace@msn.com also we have many different cultures living here. I do not speek spanish and love it here!
Joy

Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Fort Worth has more African Americans than El Paso does. The crime rates in Fort Worth are relatively low...far lower than Las Vegas and probably not too much worse than El Paso. You just have to avoid the worst areas. Cost of living in FW is lower than in most other places around the country.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM

350 posts, read 1,287,936 times
Being that close to Juarez would make me nervous right now, but that's just my opinion.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM

5 posts, read 15,349 times
Ft Worth has alot of Hospitals and Colleges , Friendly people too. Pretty deversifed as far as ethinicity goes, You tend to learn a little Spanish no matter where you are in the Southwest now days. We also have a nice airport about 30-45 minute drive away just in case you want to hop a plane back to Vegas to visit loved ones.

Basically you have to Bloom where you are planted, you will find good things about where ever you decide to bring your family. Good Luck with your adventure!

Old 03-15-2009, 02:10 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Fort Worth is a safe city, as is El Paso (although right across the border in Juarez there is a huge crime problem). Being in Nursing you should have no problem finding a job here. I wish you and your family only the very best of luck eboni95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth