Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM

6 posts, read 10,756 times

Advertisements

Hello:

My Family and I are considering relocating to Ft. Worth for work and would like opinions about the area. We are educated young professionals moving from a Kansas City subarb. We have a new baby boy, so my wife will be staying home with him. I have heard mix reviews of Ft. Worth, so I'm not sure what to think. My office will be located near the Lockeed Martin AFB, and would like to know about that area. More specifically, what are things to do there, is it safe, alot of stay-at-home moms, etc. We are not looking to purchase a home until we learn more about the area.

Honestly, I was kind of dissapointed when I found out that our new office would be in Ft. Worth instead of Dallas. I was very excited about the chance to move to Dallas, but am very open minded to living in Ft. Worth.

It's just that I've heard that Dallas is more up-and-coming, and more lively. Whereas Ft. Worth has a more typical "country" western Texas feel. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that, but this is what I've heard.

Please provide me with both good and bad things about Ft. Worth and how living there is a good thing for my family and me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Dallas has already been, Ft Worth is the up and coming one.
FW has a more family friendly and yes, slower lifestyle. FW has a better more lively downtown. FW has better museums, botanical gardens, and a better zoo. FW is less expensive than Dallas. FW traffic is much much lighter than Dallas. If you want to go to Dallas, its 30 mins away. DFW airport and Texas Motor Speedway is in FW. Cowboys stadium & Rangers Ballpark & Six Flags are in Arlington (a suburb of FW)

"life is to short, to live in Dallas"

Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
I totally agree!! Fort Worth has a MUCH more laid-back feel, and MUCH better cultural scene. I've lived in both Dallas and Fort Worth, and I'm a LOT happier over here!

You are smart to rent before you buy. Since your husband's job will be on the far west side, look at SW Fort Worth (Hulen area) or possibly Aledo. Lockheed actually sits in White Settlement, but you don't want to live there. ;-)

Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
look at a map
anyone considering working on the west side of FTW and living in Dallas is just asking for heartache--there is no public transportation between those two areas that give anyone any real options--
not like back east where you can live two states away from your job and take the train into town for a semi-decent commute
driving yourself each way would mean an hour to 90 min commute--no one in their right minds in TX WITH an option--which you certainly have would consider it

PRICEPOINT--your money will dictate where your rental choices are of course--understand that better schools usually mean better living conditions/more attractive neighborhoods/safer environment as well

find a crime map and check out some zip codes
realtor.com has rental homes but don't think that it has most rental properties in area listed
BUT you can get names of agencies that deal with rental properties

frankly if you can afford it I would check out the Hulen/Benbrook area vs White Settlement area

going South on WEST loop 820 in the morning and NORTH in the evenings is probably not too bad so you might consider Azle area--going past I35/377 (again check a map) is not going to be smart move--
that part of Loop 820 is most congested in the Metroplex

conversely if you wanted to live in the Mid-Cities area and drive across FTW to your job site -- that is about a 30 min commute, depending on where you start and your hours
Hurst, NRichland Hills, Bedford would all be viable areas to consider depending on your price point--
and stay north of the 183 freeway generally for better environment...
but there are crime maps out there for those towns as well

Aledo is west of FTW and more rural==fewer restaurant/shopping/medical choices vs in-town FTW and the commute is getting longer/more crowded since people are moving there
Burleson is growing area but very conservative and might not be as urban as you are used to
y

Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM

460 posts, read 988,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
FW has a more family friendly and yes, slower lifestyle. FW has a better more lively downtown. FW has better museums, botanical gardens, and a better zoo. FW is less expensive than Dallas. FW traffic is much much lighter than Dallas.
I totally agree with this.

I live near DFW, and really don't know much about the housing market around that side of Ft. Worth, so I can't be of help there. But if I ever do "go to town", I will always choose Ft. Worth over Dallas. I never go to Dallas, unless I have some very specific reason to. The traffic is just too much of a mess, for me.

Trust us, when we say you don't want to commute to work from Dallas, over to the west side of Ft. Worth.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,759,412 times
I agree. You are not going to want to drive from Dallas to west FW. I used to live in NW FW and drove to Dallas for work and it sucked. Long story short, I moved to be closer to work and after 10 years I am moving back to FW. I don't think you will be disappointed with FW, it has come a LONG way. Both cities have pros and cons but don't worry, FW isn't some country western hillbilly city. I would say it has a more laidback vibe and is slower paced, but not in a bad way. I would check Hulen/Benbrook area unless you want something more rural Azle might be your best best.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Dallas has already been, Ft Worth is the up and coming one.
FW has a more family friendly and yes, slower lifestyle. FW has a better more lively downtown. FW has better museums, botanical gardens, and a better zoo. FW is less expensive than Dallas. FW traffic is much much lighter than Dallas. If you want to go to Dallas, its 30 mins away. DFW airport and Texas Motor Speedway is in FW. Cowboys stadium & Rangers Ballpark & Six Flags are in Arlington (a suburb of FW)

"life is to short, to live in Dallas"

This guy nailed it. He took the words right out of my mouth. I might add one thing that I feel is unique about Ft. Worth: I think of it as having all the amenities and pizazz of a big city, but with a small town feel. I think you'll like it here.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 PM

150 posts, read 418,597 times
I grew up in a suburb of Dallas and growing up, we always came to Fort Worth for our weekend activities...The Stockyards, the zoo, Stockshow and Rodeo, Alliance Airshow, Tx Motor Speedway, Glen Rose's Fossil Rim (little bit of a drive, but well worth it!). So when we moved back to Texas, we knew we had to live near Fort Worth! We've been here for 2yrs and LOVE it!

I agree with what everyone has said, about it being a slower lifestyle, but not in a bad way. VERY family oriented, very down-home and welcoming. The only personal experience I have with places to live is Saginaw and it's been a great place for us. Benbrook and the Eagle Mountain Lake are areas I would recommend as well, if you are wanting to stay close to work.

My parents (who still live in a suburb of Dallas) come to visit and always make comments about how much nicer everyone is here. How nice the downtown area is, how kind the people are. It's a different atmosphere.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:25 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Default LOVE Fort Worth!!!!

I would so choose FTW over Dallas any day!!! Love Tanglewood area, Mistletoe Heights and Park Hill areas. I have lived in the DFW area for 32 years and work has kept me in the Dallas area. But my goal is to buy a house in Fort Worth as home base during retirement years. Its a great town and you are soooo lucky. Great prices in Burleson and Granbury, too if you want to go to the FTW burbs.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 10,756 times
Thanks everyone for your responses...I was wondering how the area near Colonial Golf Course is? This appears to be less than a 5 min commute from my office. Do you know of any nice but reasonable townhomes in this area. I would say our budget would be $800 and would consider $900.

I've also heard of an area called "Cityview" near I-20. How is that area, and could I find similar amenities.

Is the commute from Grapevine/Southlake area very bad to my office (near LM AFB)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth