Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 7,193 times

Advertisements

My husband has relocated to Frederick to start his job at Frederick Memorial in the past 6 months. Our house is currently on the market in Western Massachusetts! We have an 8th grade daughter that is active in both Field Hockey and Lacrosse, on travel teams and Futures. I was looking for everyone's advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 05:48 PM

244 posts, read 573,176 times
We are the opposite of you...leaving Frederick area to Boston for a job transfer.

Sports are big in Frederick County. Middletown has a very active field hockey and lacrosse team (as well as basketball and football), Linganore is strong in sports especially track, Walkersville is great in basketball and football, Brunswick is strong in baseball, Thomas Johnson has the magnet program for visual and performing arts and a large marching band. There is just so much each school has to offer! You can look at the ratings for Frederick Co schools on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community these are mainly rated by test scores.

Maybe we can help you more if you tell us what your budget is, what your priorities are, activities you enjoy etc.

Weather wise, we don't get as much snow as you but it will be hot, hazy and humid from July to August! A house with a pool would be nice!

What is FUTURES?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 AM

Default Thank You!

Thank you for responding.

Futures is a development program for Field Hockey.

We are looking for land, maybe 2-3 acres...we can go up to the $500,000, but would like to settle in the 400's.

We are active in our community, coaching etc. I like Yoga, we have a college age daughter that will be with us when school is not in session.

We are looking for a neighborhood setting preferably not more than a 45 minute commute.

Any thoughts/advice I would sincerely appreciate.

Looking forward to a change at this point )

Good luck to you on your move. We lived in Marlborough for a few years where in Boston are you going?

Many Thanks,
jaime

Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Gov. Thomas Johnson HS is a good school, and has a good athletics programs. Their name is the Patriots which should appeal to Bostoners.

Governor Thomas Johnson High School Girls Lacrosse Home - MaxPreps

The neighborhood bounded by 7th and Rosemont, from Lee to Schley (inclusive) feeds into Governor TJ HS, and your husband would have a 3 minute commute. Nice neighborhoods, nice people, and safe.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=500+Wi...21702&t=m&z=16

Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 PM

244 posts, read 573,176 times
Jaimzey-- We will be outside of Boston on the northern end, in the Reading/Wakefield area. No house yet as we have to sell our first, but we hope to be settled up in a house by August.

Field Hockey--Middletown has an excellent team, or they used to. They won numerous state championships in a row back when I went there in the late 80s. I don't follow them now, but they are usually mentioned in the paper. I would go to the different high schools in Frederick County (Frederick County Public Schools) and see what the individual schools' websites say about sports.

For 2-3 acres, you could easily look at Jefferson, Myersville (they go to Middletown High), Middletown (we have a yoga studio and a Pilates one as well) or even north of Frederick in the Thurmont area. Up there you get more for your money, but it's more of a country like atmosphere and not sure how their sports program is. Also, not much for a teenager to do...you'd have to drive about 20 minutes to come into Frederick.

I would search on Realtor.com--from what I see (in Middletown, the 21769 zip) there are a few houses that you may like.

My parents are selling their home very soon and it is about 8-10 minutes from downtown Middletown (but in M'town), on an historic road (which means it's semi paved--hard gravel but not asphalt), has I think an acre and a half, but is surrounded by trees. It is about a 15-20 minute drive into FMH from their house (my mother works near there). There are a few neighbors along their road but it's not in an neighborhood...not sure where you want to be with a teenager? Sounds like she'll be busy and having neighbors on either side of you isn't a priority!

As for coaching, usually around here when you get up into the high school sports, they have coaches already. Some parents help out but not sure how involved in coaching they can get. HOWEVER at the younger level, we have field hockey (at Middletown) beginning in 3rd grade and I'm sure they are always looking for coaches for the various teams. Our sports program here is the MVAA (Middletown Valley Athletic Association).

I hope this helps! Another area to look at is Urbana; they have a good school, strong sports, many planned communities with the amenities like a new library, grocery store, other small shops, but about 10-15 minutes from Frederick and the malls. Living in Urbana means you'd be driving about 25 minutes (against rush hour) to the hospital.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Thank you Heather it helps alot! We really like the areas you spoke of. Westminster may be too out of the way for us.

Good luck with your move as well!

I am really looking forward to getting there!

Thank you again!

Jaime

Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
I just found this site so I'm curious Did you find something? I would suggest the Middletown area. Do you really want that much land? It may limit you in the areas you are looking in because the State is really pushing to restrict growth outside the Baltimore Washington Metro areas. Living in a smaller town like Middletown or Myersville can be great.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:33 AM

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I just found this site so I'm curious Did you find something? I would suggest the Middletown area. Do you really want that much land? It may limit you in the areas you are looking in because the State is really pushing to restrict growth outside the Baltimore Washington Metro areas. Living in a smaller town like Middletown or Myersville can be great.
Thank you for you information! For now we decided to rent a house and we found a very nice one in Myersville! My daughter will be attending Middletown High School in the fall--hopefully playing field hockey and lacrosse there. We will be moving July 1.

I really appreciate you answering this.

Jaime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick