Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:01 PM

29 posts, read 42,455 times

Advertisements

but hate coupons. As a healthy eater I am always amazed at the high quality and health of the food I obtain there at such a low cost. Its a simplified shopping experience as well which i enjoy. Any other frugalers out there that love trader Joes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 04:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniRomo View Post
but hate coupons. As a healthy eater I am always amazed at the high quality and health of the food I obtain there at such a low cost. Its a simplified shopping experience as well which i enjoy. Any other frugalers out there that love trader Joes?
No Trader Joes in this state, sorry. I shop at Sprouts instead.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No Trader Joes in this state, sorry. I shop at Sprouts instead.
No Trader Joe's in my state either. I have plenty of great alternatives.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:29 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
I like TJ's for some things... but we must be spoiled here in Oregon. We like our locally grown and produced in Oregon organic goodies and most things at TJ's are from California or elsewhere. I'm not impressed with their produce, either, and there's just way too much packaging. We're trying to be all earth-friendly here and reduce waste, ya' know?

I do buy flowers and wine there as the prices can be pretty good on those items when you're not being too picky about your selection. I'm not impressed with their offerings of coffee or tea at all. If they carried more local organics and bulk items I'd shop there more. It's a fun place to browse though.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:41 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
TJs might be cheaper than the large supermarket chains. However, they are far more expensive than a lot of the local independents here in Chicagoland.

Also, they source 90% of their products from the east or west coast IGNORING all of the fine local producers and farmers. Compare that to supermarkets like Woodman's that go out of their way to support small local businesses in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,045 times
Well I love it too...the only problem with it is I end up spending way too much $$ because 'ooh that looks good' kind of thing. Some of their stuff is just so unique.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:51 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,485,072 times
I love the way most of their frozen food is in 2 person quantities. Their frozen chocolate croissant dough could not be better or cheaper.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 AM

146 posts, read 314,028 times
Love, love, love Trader Joe's... Whole Foods too.
Trader Joe's is very reasonably priced, and the food is awesome.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,566 times
Trader Joe's is actually pretty expensive if you depend on them for meat/poultry or prepackaged meals. I think it works out for singles or childless couples who would normally eat at restaurants or do take-out, but it's not rly affordable for working-class families with growing kids. Also, from a health standpoint, they seem to be offering a lot more salt-laden carb-heavy snacky foods nowdays, compared to 10 yrs ago.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
LOVE Trader Joe's. I've given up on dreary conventional grocery stores that try to peddle corporate "food products" to me filled with trans fats, artificial chemicals, and antibiotic/hormone/pesticide/herbicide residue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living