Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
And for sneaking treats in my bag at the ballgame is NOT disgusting.. I don't care for greasy nachos and fatty foods, I sneak in trail mix, fruit and other things you can't buy there.... Oh, they allow food to be brought in at Safeco field. Just no drinks. but I snuck one in!! so there....
It is disgusting. If you don't want to eat or drink their food, fine. But if a private establishment prohibits bringing outside food/drinks, why do you think you can just do it anyways? When you go on someone else's turf, you should atleast respect their rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:04 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
It's amazing how much money you waste out at bars, then after the bar normally a cab ride, food, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The price of admission (so to speak) to have those nightclub and drinks things in your life is to not have OTHER things in your life. It's really no more complicated than that... but yeah, people who are conscious of not wasting their money will tend to find ways to entertain themselves in other ways.
Once again, we have a topic here where a couple of people choose not to spend money on something, or do not see a personal value in a certain type of expenditure, and automatically label said activity / purchase as a "waste" of money.

Again, as with anything someone chooses to spend their money on - if they feel as though they got an appropriate value for the money spent, it is not a "waste". Different people choose to do different things with their disposable income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Which are you willing to do without or with less of: Wardrobe? Furniture? Home? Car? Vacations? Investments? OT hours?
None of the above (I'm salaried so OT is not a consideration). By budgeting wisely I am able to not have to cut out any of the things I enjoy while still living within my means and making saving a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Frugal people might have had a stronger motivation to come to the realization that drinking too much overpriced alcohol in a noisy badly-lit place full of rude and obnoxious and phony people posturing for effect and hitting on each other is not the only way to have fun, or might not even be fun at all.
But for some people it is fun. And if they think it is...no harm, no foul. I'm at the point where I am generally over the "nightclub" scene, unless it is to go see a particular band play at a club (although while in Vegas, we always hit up a few of the clubs and ultra-lounges just because we'd rather do that then gamble while we're there). But we still enjoy hanging out at a bar and having drinks with friends, which we usually do once a week on average...its just nowadays they tend to be quieter and more condusive to conversation.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It is disgusting. If you don't want to eat or drink their food, fine. But if a private establishment prohibits bringing outside food/drinks, why do you think you can just do it anyways? When you go on someone else's turf, you should atleast respect their rules.
I respectfully disagree. If the primary purpose of the establishment is to provide something other than dining, and their sole objective is to maximize their ancillary profits from refreshments or concessions, that is not a rule based on morality or public order. I feel free to flaunt any such self-serving rules if I find them unreasonable.

If I want to go to a ball game or a movie or a concert, the presenters have no legitimate right to demand that I either go thirsty or pay their concession fines. It would be like a railway requiring passengers to be served in their dining car, instead of bringing food on board the train. Or a toll road requiring hungry motorists to patronize their concession plaza instead of packing a lunch in their car. Or a hotel with a restaurant refuses to let you bring outside food to your room. This policy quickly reaches a limit, and I'll set my own limits, thanks. When rules are arbitrary, unilateral, self-serving, unnatural and non-negotiable, I give them the respect they deserve.

A restaurant, obviously, has a right to restrict me from bringing in outside food and eating in their booth, since the primary reason for their existence is food service.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-23-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree. If the primary purpose of the establishment is to provide something other than dining, and their sole objective is to maximize their ancillary profits from refreshments or concessions, that is not a rule based on morality or public order. I feel free to flaunt any such self-serving rules if I find them unreasonable.

If I want to go to a ball game or a movie or a concert, the presenters have no legitimate right to demand that I either go thirsty or pay their concession fines. It would be like a railway requiring passengers to be served in their dining car, instead of bringing food on board the train. Or a toll road requiring hungry motorists to patronize their concession plaza instead of packing a lunch in their car. Or a hotel with a restaurant refuses to let you bring outside food to your room. This policy quickly reaches a limit, and I'll set my own limits, thanks. When rules are arbitrary, unilateral, self-serving, unnatural and non-negotiable, I give them the respect they deserve.

A restaurant, obviously, has a right to restrict me from bringing in outside food and eating in their booth, since the primary reason for their existence is food service.
So basically since you dont like the rules you decide they don't apply? What about laws, if you get a traffic ticket why should the state tell you how to drive or how fast? Stop paying those too, see how that works out for you.

I agree it's not a capital crime you sneaking something in to a ballgame or movie but you are breakign the rules and the facility does have a right to tell you not to bring stuff in.

If theatres, ballparsk, etc allowed you to bring your own food ticket prices would probably be 1/4 higher because they have to make the money on ticket sales since they are not making it on food.

You don't have to attend a baseball game. If you dont like their rules regarding bringing food in or their prices guess what? It's free to buy food at Walmart and watch the game from your house but the establishment totally has a right to make their rules and charge their prices.

Sorry to break it to you but you are cheap.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
I spend a decent bit on nightlife. Went to Vegas this weekend and was stuck going to a trendy nightclub (not a big fan of clubs). Jack and Cokes at this place were $15 a pop and came in a small plastic cup. I have no issue spending 15 bucks on a great beer or decent scotch, but 15 bucks for a typical $6 drink just to be 'seen' at a hot spot is not worth it to me. But of course I am not going to stand there and twiddle my thumbs, so I did leave with a $90 bill

Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
So basically since you dont like the rules you decide they don't apply? What about laws, if you get a traffic ticket why should the state tell you how to drive or how fast? Stop paying those too, see how that works out for you.

I agree it's not a capital crime you sneaking something in to a ballgame or movie but you are breakign the rules and the facility does have a right to tell you not to bring stuff in.

If theatres, ballparsk, etc allowed you to bring your own food ticket prices would probably be 1/4 higher because they have to make the money on ticket sales since they are not making it on food.

You don't have to attend a baseball game. If you dont like their rules regarding bringing food in or their prices guess what? It's free to buy food at Walmart and watch the game from your house but the establishment totally has a right to make their rules and charge their prices.

Sorry to break it to you but you are cheap.
You do know, don't you, that there is a difference between rules and laws? People with guns have a right to enforce laws, but not rules.

If I have a ticket to a baseball game, I have an enforceable contract, obliging the stadium to let me attend the event. They can put up a sign saying no outside food if they want, and they can confiscate it if they detect me bringing it in (probably, not even sure about that). But if I bring it in undetected, and consume it on the premises, and it is not alcoholic, I've violated no enforceable law, and no moral code, and no public order, and no national security.

Thank you for the (incomplete) compliment. I'm cheap, AND I have a few extra bucks that Geroge Steinbrenner was so richly deserving of. And, you are right about one thing. Yes, basically since I don't like the rules I, decide they don't apply. Sue me.

If you will explore every successful man's career, you will find one thing they all had in common: They all knew when to break the rules.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-23-2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:

This is absolutely absurd. Rules are rules and they should be followed. Sure, you can't get arrested for breaking a rule, but it's incredibly unethical to use a private establishment and break their rules.

All those other examples don't have these rules, so they cannot apply.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
You do know, don't you, that there is a difference between rules and laws? People with guns have a right to enforce laws, but not rules.

If I have a ticket to a baseball game, I have an enforceable contract, obliging the stadium to let me attend the event. They can put up a sign saying no outside food if they want, and they can confiscate it if they detect me bringing it in (probably, not even sure about that). But if I bring it in undetected, and consume it on the premises, and it is not alcoholic, I've violated no enforceable law, and no moral code, and no public order, and no national security.

Thank you for the (incomplete) compliment. I'm cheap, AND I have a few extra bucks that Geroge Steinbrenner was so richly deserving of. And, you are right about one thing. Yes, basically since I don't like the rules I, decide they don't apply. Sue me.

If you will explore every successful man's career, you will find one thing they all had in common: They all knew when to break the rules.
They can't confiscate it but they can refuse entry or ask you to leave until you have come back without the food.

Your actions are completely unethical.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:

All those other examples don't have these rules, so they cannot apply.
Quote:

Your actions are completely unethical.

So your position is that EVERY rule that CAN be made, MUST be obeyed if it is made, and it's unethical to disobey. And the rich and powerful and high and mighty can make any unilateral rule that serves their greedy purposes, just by writing it down and pasting it to a wall, and we bottom-feeders are morally and ethically obliged to obey it.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-23-2011 at 05:58 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I'm not one to spend an inordinate amount of money on what most people would call "nightlife," but I've spent way more than my fair share on concert tickets. Live music is, to me, one of the greatest pleasures in my life and I'm extremely frugal in other areas to have cash to spend hearing the music I love, even if it means traveling distances to do it. I drive a 12-year-old fuel-efficient car and live in a house much more modest than most of my peers, but I once flew all the way to Germany for a concert.

I also entertain a lot in my small home. I'm sure some others wouldn't think of that as frugal, but I enjoy treating my friends to fine food and drink and people seem to think I'm a good cook. But I believe the fact that I can spend the same to treat four people to a fine meal as one would spend in a good restaurant is frugal on some level, isn't it?

As for the question of spending money on alcohol (or drugs for that matter), I don't drink myself, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone else their enjoyment. I DO think it's stupid if a person is spending money that should be applied to good-sense necessities just to get high. And if one is spending money that should go to responsibilities like family, it's beyond stupid.

To me, frugality doesn't mean saving money just to save money. It's to live modestly so one can afford experiences and things that really do enhance the quality of one's life. What good is it to have millions in the bank if you haven't enjoyed your time on earth with people and events that were meaningful to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living