Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 05:53 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

With frugality in mind: For somethings I do the math on buying ONE expensive item versus a cheaper one that might need replacement....other things I KNOW I keep waaay past time that others would replace the item.

I DO confess, as for towels and wash clothes I wait waaay too long, ...until they're see through (I know that's bad)

How often does your handbag usually last? I can get 10 years out of a handbag -- easy. For example, instead of ONE Dooney and Bourke handbag for 250.00...I could buy a $30-50 purse, replace it several times and still come out cheaper.

Also, how often do you replace your pillows. I ask because the "My Pillow" is $35-40...and I'm thinking...I could get 3-4 $10.00 pillows for that, that would last me the rest of my life and perhaps come out cheaper.

How about your toothbrushes, or mattresses -- or anything really? How often do you replace those?

I won't say how often I replace my toothbrushes...but it's certainly not the "every six months" I see recommended. I also like a fancy brush...like a 6.00 brush with bristles at different heights and going different directions. Sure I know very frugal types just use the free one from the dentist...but that brush just seems so "cheap."

Also I know it's NOT frugal, but is there anything you replace...just because you want something new. Like people will get tired of their decor, maybe curtains, or a sofa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 07:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Never, except the toothbrush, maybe once a year.

I have no mattress, I sleep on the floor, on a folded blanket. Same pillow for decades.

Same sheet for maybe five years, it gets laundered and put right back before bedtime.

You'll be happy to know, contrary to the mattress ad on TV, that my folded blanket under me has not increased in weight by 60 pounds of dead skin cells and mites and their droppings in the past ten years.
http://roysfurnituregallery.com/matt...n-weight-much/

What do those mites eat, that they leave 60 pounds of droppings? Do they order out? Dead skin cells are a gerat weight loss regimen. Lose 6 pounds in a year just by lying on your mattress.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-25-2015 at 07:32 AM..

Old 09-25-2015, 07:47 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
I use to be into replacing things that wasnt worn out just becuse I wanted a different color or style. Now, I wait until something is worn beyond use. Only bought one mattress so far and its still excellent shape. Pillows, also have the same one for years. Hubbys had his pillow for probably 8 years now.

Yes, I use the dentist brushs, which last me quite a long time. Whenever the bristles are worn out ill switch but it takes many many months.

we have had the same furniture since before we were married. I plan to replace some things in a year or 2 because they are quite worn and we plan to move, so not wanting to bring it all with us.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:57 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I use extra soft bristle toothbrushes -- need to, anything harder tears up my gums. I switch out every three months. And yes -- the only place I can find normal extra soft brushes is at my dentist or through his supplier, and I buy them from them, and yes -- they are cheap. But I get great check ups and my teeth and gums are healthy and that matter way more than anything.

I wash my pillows in hot hot water and dry them on the hot setting (usually at the Laundromat) every three or four months. I keep a pillow for years.

Last time I bought bath towels, I spent real money on four towels and hand towels... bought very expensive Canning Vale (which I don't think is expensive anymore) And they've lasted for almost 20 years and going strong. Won't need to replace them for another 10 at least. Now-- washrags -- we buy the dozen white ones at Costco and when they get groady and gray, they become rags. We probably go through a dozen in three or four years.

I don't buy purses anymore. I have a style that I really like, and now I make them. Fabric purses, quilted. Kind of like the wallet on a string style. I never really carry much. I made this purse months ago and Ive yet to make the second one.... I have to make a baby boy quilt for my nephew arriving in February... and Christmas stuff....

Old 09-26-2015, 09:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I use things until they wear out or look stained or quit working. If I move and want/need to redecorate, I'll buy some new things. When I moved into my current apartment I bought new bedding and a throw for my big chair and a picture for my wall, and paint to repaint some furniture, so it would match the colors in the apartment, as my old stuff clashed terribly.

But, I'll probably be here for many years, and it will probably be 10 years before I change them out again, unless they just get to the point of looking embarrassing. I want to like my space. I decorate very frugally, but I don't want to sit here looking at a stained, threadbare comforter, etc.

I am in desperate need of new non-stick pans, though. I just realized I've had this set since 2004. My omelette pan is guaranteed to stick anything you cook in it to the pan LOL. Time to buy a new omelette pan. The others still function okay. But, that's when I make changes. When what I have isn't working anymore, or is embarrassing to look at.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I buy a new mattress when the old one gets uncomfortable. I paid $400 for a mattress set 12 years ago, and replaced it last year with a set that cost $1200. I expect to get at least 10 years out of the new mattress set.

I replace my towels when they get thin or frayed or faded. I replace my sheets when they get worn out. I replace my curtains when I'm tired of them or I feel like they're not blocking enough light. I replace my couch when it gets worn out. My last couch was a cream leather sectional that I paid $100 for on Craigslist. We used it for 10 years and then replaced it with a black leather sectional that cost $500 on Craigslist, since the kids are older now, the dogs are trained, and I knew we could take care of a nicer sofa.

I replace pillows when they get flat. It's time for a new one now...my current pillow is latex and cost $30 five years ago. I'll buy another like it and it will last 5 years. It's worth the money. I use a cover on it inside of the pillow case so that even though the pillow isn't washable, it stays fresh.

I also like nice purses, but I buy them at the thrift store. I've got at least a dozen really nice purses and I paid $4 each for them, all leather, all in good shape and all good brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living