Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times

Advertisements

In these trying times, we all feel the pinch and are cutting back. But, it can be depressing, and at times demoralizing.

Try to think of this not as a time to "cut back" but as a time to "do things differently". For example, I've cut way back on the food budget. But instead of saying "we're having this casserole made from cheap ingredients because the budget is tight' I say " found this great new recipie online, lets try it! And, make it "nice". I use my nicer dishes, pretty tablecloths, etc. Its all in the presentation.

For Halloween, instead of buying overpriced costumes, I say lets get creative and see what we can put together shopping at thrift stores, etc.

Instead of saying we have to make do with clothing, blankets, etc that are ripped and torn, I tell the kids now is a great time to learn hand sewing, and how to use the sewing maching. BTW, DS is more interested in sewing that DD.

Its all in the presentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 05:33 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,287 times

Old 09-19-2011, 06:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
In these trying times, we all feel the pinch and are cutting back. But, it can be depressing, and at times demoralizing.

Try to think of this not as a time to "cut back" but as a time to "do things differently". For example, I've cut way back on the food budget. But instead of saying "we're having this casserole made from cheap ingredients because the budget is tight' I say " found this great new recipie online, lets try it! And, make it "nice". I use my nicer dishes, pretty tablecloths, etc. Its all in the presentation.

For Halloween, instead of buying overpriced costumes, I say lets get creative and see what we can put together shopping at thrift stores, etc.

Instead of saying we have to make do with clothing, blankets, etc that are ripped and torn, I tell the kids now is a great time to learn hand sewing, and how to use the sewing maching. BTW, DS is more interested in sewing that DD.

Sounds like you've been reading the Tightwad Gazette.... I just reread it.

And it's more fun to do that stuff than go to the store and buy a crappy costume and mask.... and masks aren't safe anyway.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Sounds like you've been reading the Tightwad Gazette.... I just reread it.

And it's more fun to do that stuff than go to the store and buy a crappy costume and mask.... and masks aren't safe anyway.

No, actually, I haven't read Tightwad Gazette, although I'm familiar with it, I've read excerpts from it.

Its just the attitude you take that makes all the difference. if you go around saying oh, poor us, can't afford rib eye steaks, so tonight we're having meatball stew, well then that affects everyone's attitude.

Instead, I set the table pretty, use my old but nice table cloths, use a variety of dishes, try to make it appealing. I remember my Dad was laid off often when I was a kid. I'm sure my parents felt a lot of anxiety, but it never filtered down to me. It was always Great- now Daddy can spend time with me, take me to the park, go fishing, and Mom makes the best stews, corned beef hash, we eat with Grandma a lot, it was all transparent to me. To me, those were the best times!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:46 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Hey, economics is the science of applying limited means to unlimited wants. If you can spend less on food and still eat well, that leaves more money for other needs/wants. You are dead right that a good presentation can improve the reception of whatever you serve. Anyway some of the best foods - for example fresh produce - are cheaper than the processed junk, and better both for taste and health as well.

And there is nothing wrong with a guy learning how to sew. Daniel Boone would have been naked after the first 6 months of any of his adventures if he didn't know how to sew. Many of the best tailors I have known were men.

The way I look at it, buying new for full retail price is for chumps, or at least needs to be reserved for surprise needs (that I really should not have let surprise me)

Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

And there is nothing wrong with a guy learning how to sew.
ALL students - boys and girls - HAVE to learn to sew in our school district. It is part of the family and Consumer Sciences course.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Well, I'm "tricking" ds into helping me.

I have severe arthritis in both hands and sewing is difficult. I can do light sewing on thin fabrics, but can't handle a large needle through thick fabrics, like demin, blankets, etc. I showed ds how to do basic stitches on thin fabric, then he took right to it. He repaired his jeans, sewed up a mattress pad cover, repaired the hem in some curtains, his hands are much stronger than mine.

BTW, my grandfather was a machinist, one of his hobbies was needlework. he hearned from his sisters, I still have (and cherish) some of his needlework!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,346 times

Old 09-21-2011, 05:07 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
I thought sewing was a lost art as clothing became cheaper.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I thought sewing was a lost art as clothing became cheaper.

True, but still good to know how to do minor repairs, like sew on a button, etc. Also, I'm extending the life of many items, like a mattress pad. The corner tore, I can see the time I would have tossed it and bought a new one. But, I sewed it up, good as new, who sees it anyways? a savings of $50-$80+ for a new one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living