Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:37 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

I don't get why other people care about other's finances?

It doesn't bother me but I don't understand why some people thing that everyone has the exact same value for things as them. I always see people say things like "buying a new car is a waste of money" to other people. As if that person is going to value money at the same level as you. Why do you care? I guess people don't have enough to worry about these days that they need to get involved in other's finances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If they think I am rich, that's fine with me, so long they don't ask for money!

That is where I stand. They can waste their money however they want ... but don't ask me to finance it.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I don't have ESP, so I don't know what other people "think". Must be great to have that skill.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

It doesn't bother me but I don't understand why some people thing that everyone has the exact same value for things as them. I always see people say things like "buying a new car is a waste of money" to other people. As if that person is going to value money at the same level as you. Why do you care? I guess people don't have enough to worry about these days that they need to get involved in other's finances.
a lot of it has to do with jealousy.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
a lot of it has to do with jealousy.
You're probably right. Jealous people are only hurting themselves.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:56 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

For me, I don't care what people buy and what they think what's valuable to them. If we worked together, and you bought a new car (leased it), and were so happy , but after a few months you started to complain about money issues and how little you seem to have left. Most likely it is because you financed this car. This is when I view it as a problem. If this person doesn't view it as a problem, then I see no reason for them to complain about "not having money".

I think people should spend whatever the hell they want. As long as they have their priorities straight and don't cry to ANYONE who will listen when they put themselves into too deep for all these fancy things they want to impress people with.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:32 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
For me, I don't care what people buy and what they think what's valuable to them. If we worked together, and you bought a new car (leased it), and were so happy , but after a few months you started to complain about money issues and how little you seem to have left. Most likely it is because you financed this car. This is when I view it as a problem. If this person doesn't view it as a problem, then I see no reason for them to complain about "not having money".

I think people should spend whatever the hell they want. As long as they have their priorities straight and don't cry to ANYONE who will listen when they put themselves into too deep for all these fancy things they want to impress people with.
This is exactly the issue that I have with it as well. We have friends who are constantly "crying" poor, they can't afford this or that, but then, they take 9 day vacations and spend their money on things that are bizarre, such as a comic convention or going to the movies 4x a month. Things like that. Our friends' husband works for GM and had to take off a week this Summer with no pay & all they did was complain about how he had to take this vacation with no pay, but yet they can afford to buy a new Apple Computer and a new car all in the same week?
People can buy whatever they want, but don't complain about the money "problems" after....
I will say, that I am guilty of "wondering" how people who make $40K a year can afford to do these things to begin with, but each to their own. Our household income is more than 2x that and we can't afford to go to the movies 4x a month in addition to other disposable income expenses....

Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
I have the bad habit of telling people what a bargain we got, car bought at the auction,(Buick Century 2001), furniture found at garage sales(waterfall style buffet and china cabinet) etc. etc. I'm trying to point out that there are so many bargains out there, for everyone, but unfortunately it comes off as some sort of bragging.
Now if we get a compliment on something I just say "thank you".

Old 08-20-2011, 01:23 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,290,008 times
I'm thinking of starting a thread about hating people who use the term "peeps".

Old 08-20-2011, 01:42 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why do you care so much what people think?
I didn't use to care but it's becoming problem lately because people apparently want to hurt me and my family because they think I'm rich.

I live near Washington DC, and my husband has worked as a government employee for almost 40 years. He's worked hard all his life--he doesn't take sick days, regularly works overtime without compensation, has made sacrifices for his job (for example selling a house at a loss and moving to a new city because his employer transferred him). He has given his best years to the government, so if his job is eliminated he's too old to be able to find another job.

I can understand that bad things happen to good people and this might be our turn, but do the tea party people have to be so gleeful about it? There are people I know who chortle and cheer when they tell him that that they hope he loses his job... and these are people who think they're our friends. They really think we wont mind because hey--we must be rich, we work for the govt. .They want everyone here to lose their jobs because there's some sort of delusion that "everyone in the DC area is rich."

Thank god we've been frugal all these years. We never took expensive vacations or bought designer clothes because we were saving for retirement. Unfortunately I think most of our savings have now disappeared due to the recent stock market losses. I wish I could say "oh well, at least my husband has a job" but does he? People think we're rich so they want to eliminate not only his job but the jobs of everyone in my family, all our friends and probably any chance of being able to find another job in this region.

That's why I'm not thrilled that people think those of us who near near DC are rich. Maybe some are, but most of us are just hardworking middle class people who will be economically devastated if 1/3 of the govt. gets shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living