Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 05:21 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You are making the assumption that there were sanitation facilities provided to them. I have been in many fields where the option is "going behind the trees).
j-good point,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
You are making the assumption that there were sanitation facilities provided to them. I have been in many fields where the option is "going behind the trees).
I thought that was illegal and these things are supposed to be inspected.

In California it was blamed as run off from a cattle ranch nearby. There was so much delay in presenting that story to the public that I thought it was just covering up for some inspector who did not do his job, but now we are saying they don't even have port-o-potties nearby. They should be closed down and fined heavily.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I thought that was illegal and these things are supposed to be inspected.

In California it was blamed as run off from a cattle ranch nearby. There was so much delay in presenting that story to the public that I thought it was just covering up for some inspector who did not do his job, but now we are saying they don't even have port-o-potties nearby. They should be closed down and fined heavily.
Just a reminder. While California does represent a significant amount of the fresh produce produces (and a good portion of the outbreaks), crops are harvested from British Columbia to Texas and in parts of teh South and Midwest in season and in Florida.

In addition, you have significant imports from Mexico, Central America and Chile, depending on the season.

It provides a strong argument for irradiation to eliminate bacterial growth.

At least a few of the outbreaks have been traced to feral pigs.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Just a reminder. While California does represent a significant amount of the fresh produce produces (and a good portion of the outbreaks), crops are harvested from British Columbia to Texas and in parts of teh South and Midwest in season and in Florida.

In addition, you have significant imports from Mexico, Central America and Chile, depending on the season.

It provides a strong argument for irradiation to eliminate bacterial growth.

At least a few of the outbreaks have been traced to feral pigs.
I have not read all of the complaints about irradiation. I have no problems with it, in principal, but when they started putting antibiotics in chicken feed they also started to become slovenly in the sanitary practices that they used to follow in caring for the animals.

I am afraid that the same thing will happen with irradiation. I am afraid we will have even fewer inspectors of food and will cut even more corners in cultivation.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Just thinking out loud, I wonder if these are the ununtended consequences of best-by dates:

1. Food prices are raised significantly, by the necessity for retailers to discard perfectly edible food. That cost is not borne by the marketers, but is passed along to the consumers.

2. Food marketers have an added incentive to add chemicals to the foods and heavily process them, to retard spoilage and retain freshness, even if it only cosmetic freshness of appearance. It is nearly impossible now to buy baked goods that don't contain a heavy dose of these chemicals.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just thinking out loud, I wonder if these are the ununtended consequences of best-by dates:

1. Food prices are raised significantly, by the necessity for retailers to discard perfectly edible food. That cost is not borne by the marketers, but is passed along to the consumers.
Yes, naturally. The revenue stream must pay for expenses incurred.
Quote:

2. Food marketers have an added incentive to add chemicals to the foods and heavily process them, to retard spoilage and retain freshness, even if it only cosmetic freshness of appearance. It is nearly impossible now to buy baked goods that don't contain a heavy dose of these chemicals.
What do you mean by "added incentive"? They add preservatives to maintain longer shelf-life. But you can surely get baked goods without the chemicals. Head over to the local gourmet bakery. Even Panera has a good selection of breads that use no chemicals. Stay out of the grocery store. Those products are designed to maximize profit by increasing shelf-life rather than delivering quality.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, naturally. The revenue stream must pay for expenses incurred.

What do you mean by "added incentive"? They add preservatives to maintain longer shelf-life. But you can surely get baked goods without the chemicals. Head over to the local gourmet bakery. Even Panera has a good selection of breads that use no chemicals. Stay out of the grocery store. Those products are designed to maximize profit by increasing shelf-life rather than delivering quality.
My nearest gourmet bakery is two hours drive from here, each way. In fact, according to Google Maps and the Panera locator website, the nearest Panera is 109 miles from my house.

This is the Frugal Living forum. That concept excludes making special trips to "gourmet" shops and paying "gourmet" prices, and also eludes you completely. You have not offered a very realistic set of alternatives, simplistically saying Well, just don't go to grocery stores anymore.

Bakery products without preservatives can be made just as cheaply as those with preservatives. It lasts long enough. Hence, my observation.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
My nearest gourmet bakery is two hours drive from here, each way. In fact, according to Google Maps and the Panera locator website, the nearest Panera is 109 miles from my house.

This is the Frugal Living forum. That concept excludes making special trips to "gourmet" shops and paying "gourmet" prices, and also eludes you completely. You have not offered a very realistic set of alternatives, simplistically saying Well, just don't go to grocery stores anymore.
Honestly, if you want fresh bread without preservatives, bake your own. You have complete control over the ingredients that way, and it costs little to do.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
If you have no bakery that makes food without preservatives near you, that's a shame. I just mentioned Panera because it's a nationwide chain. It was by no means an exclusive option.
Quote:

Fair enough... but you indicated that it's nearly impossible to buy baked goods without chemicals. I was just informing you where you can indeed find those easily. If you can't get them frugally, then you're going to to buy it at whatever price it is, right? It's not like you're going to deprive yourself just over the cost.
Quote:

Bakery products without preservatives can be made just as cheaply as those with preservatives. It lasts long enough. Hence, my observation.
The supply chain of grocery stores prevents good without preservatives being sold at the same price as food with preservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Honestly, if you want fresh bread without preservatives, bake your own. You have complete control over the ingredients that way, and it costs little to do.
This is indeed an excellent idea!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Bread machines can be bought at Goodwill or garage sales for $5.00 or $10.00 and make a decent loaf of bread. If you don't like the square loaf the machine makes, most now have dough settings, where the machine kneads the dough and then you can take the dough out, roll it out, and then place it in and bake in traditional bread pans.

Since I had a serious hand injury, kneading and rolling is very difficult for me, so I just let my garage sale bread machine do all the work.

You're right - no preservatives or anything added that's not necessary. There are tons of bread machine recipes out there, either in books or on the internet, and there is no reason to get bored with any one or two recipes. My personal favorite is a potato bread, made with dried potato flakes, which I buy out of the bulk food section at my favorite grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living