Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 07:24 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Use gravity instead. I remove the pump, and tip the bottle over a jar and let it sit like that. Eventually all the remaining lotion drips down into the jar.

I like a crunchy granola bar and a glass of milk as a bed time snack. I put the bars in a bowl to catch the crumbs and save the crumbs. I use the crumbs as topping for yogurt or to add to cereal. Never thought of adding them to cookie batter, but that's a great idea!

I use a stove top coffee percolator. Perked fresh on morning one. Add water to replace what I used, and perk again on morning two. A can of coffee lasts twice as long.

I, too reuse paper towels that have been used for hand drying. I wash and reuse my zip lock bags. I wash and reuse aluminum foil. I save junk mail envelopes and use them as others here have mentioned, I also use them as cat toys.

I always unplug appliances, including TV and lamps and printer, toaster oven, window ac, that are not in use.

I keep the thermostat at 60 in winter and wear layers, lots of layers, including gloves.

I don't buy garbage bags of any size. I use plastic grocery bags, doubled, for trash bags. Since I don't buy enough groceries to keep a good supply (I use them for cat litter too) I have a couple of friends with big families who give me their surplus grocery bags.

That qualifies as ridiculously frugal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:50 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Junk mail envelopes are good for writing grocery lists on and putting the coupons in :-)

Old 01-27-2017, 10:45 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yep, gotta watch those stamps! I don't even know how much it is now for a letter....at about 50 cents/letter it adds up!
It's 48 cents, I believe. I used to resent having to mail the check for my water/sewer bill. It was the only one I had that couldn't be paid online. They didn't supply an envelope. Cheapskates. My son told me that changed about six months ago. 2016. Boy howdy, it was about time. It's a pretty high rent area, too.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:53 PM

130,306 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's 48 cents, I believe. I used to resent having to mail the check for my water/sewer bill. It was the only one I had that couldn't be paid online. They didn't supply an envelope. Cheapskates. My son told me that changed about six months ago. 2016. Boy howdy, it was about time. It's a pretty high rent area, too.
online banking is free, & no stamps to buy, plus an easy record to see what you paid in previous months.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
online banking is free, & no stamps to buy, plus an easy record to see what you paid in previous months.
Yes that is the way to go unless one can get cash-back by paying with cc. My cc refuses auto-pays for bills for some reason

I will get that sorted out, hopefully. I love the extra $$$ from that!

Old 01-27-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
How would I have paid the water company? They wanted a check or cash. Am I missing something?

Old 01-27-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
How would I have paid the water company? They wanted a check or cash. Am I missing something?
online bill pay will send checks no charge!

I don't even like to write checks to people in person. I like to send them all online, when a physical check is required.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

I don't even like to write checks to people in person. I like to send them all online, when a physical check is required.
I was, am, missing something. Thank you! I may never have to deal with that again.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:46 PM

708 posts, read 577,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Does living in an apartment living room with no privacy in order to get steeply discounted rent qualify? I did this for over a year in 2010-2011!
I think it does! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Good job!

Old 01-28-2017, 03:23 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

just make sure you get a checking account that charges no monthly fees. Free checking is getting more rare these days, some you have to keep a min balance or make x number of withdrawals per month to have the monthly fee waived. It's a game to lure customers in and charge really high fees if they slip up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Does living in an apartment living room with no privacy. in order to get steeply discounted rent qualify? I did this for over a year in 2010-2011!
I lived in an in-law apt for 10+ yrs that was $400 a month cheaper than any similar apts in the area. I hated that place but it's cheap, included electric and heat and I wasn't locked down by a contract. It has mice problems which the LL was very reluctant to fix, the apt was an attached garage converted to a bedroom in a split-level house, which means I can hear people stomping every time someone walks upstairs. I can a almost hear every conversation thru the walls. Worst yet, whatever they cook makes my apt smell gross.... I can go on and on with issues. But each month that I'm there, I save $400+. Anyway, I bought my own place finally when I can't take it anymore which turned out to be perfect timing - it was 2012 and just before house prices started to skyrocket.

Now that I pay my own utility, I do most of what others are doing here - only turn on lights I need, unplug or switch off the power strip on electrics, I recently put up big sheets of bubble wrap on some windows to reduce heat loss, setting my thermostat low in the winter - 62 when occupied, 50's when not home or sleeping. I've cut way back on lawnmowing service and do all the landscaping myself (trim bushes, lay down mulch, clean leaves, etc)- stuff that isn't difficult but time consuming that saves hundreds of $ per yr. Oh, I work from home instead of drive to the office - saves money on gas, tolls, car maintenance, less laundry, etc that well makes up for the added expenses like using my own electricity, air conditioning or heat and toilet paper during the day.

Last edited by mmyk72; 01-28-2017 at 03:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living