Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:11 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times

Advertisements

wow, I read this whole thread!! Some things my late DH did (he was SUPER frugal) --
- kept chewing the same piece of gum for years - cut out little squares from cereal box liners to store it in. SWORE it still had flavor.
- when we were staying in a condo on the beach, got salt water from the ocean to use for cooking. I did NOT know he was doing this.
- tried to "back flush" a diesel fuel filter with clean diesel fuel to avoid replacing it.

Things I will admit to -
-when we stayed in a condo complex with multiple laundry rooms, get detergent bottles from the trash cans and add water to get the last bit out, and use it for washing our own clothes. And at the end of snowbird season, a lot of people would leave their detergent there rather than take it home. Guess who took it home.
-not sure why, but I have had the same roll of wax paper for decades. And I do use it.
- once when I spilled powder milk on a relatively clean floor, I scooped it up and made milk for the cat. He loved it.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. Glad this thread got resurrected!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 11:27 PM

270 posts, read 210,972 times
When I go out to eat pho or any noodle that come with herbs, I pack them in to go box to use at home. They smell fresh and nice, why just pack the leftover foods only? Got basil, bean sprout, cabbage, lime, and other stuffs to cook with them at home. My sis feel embarrass to go out with me lol.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
When I go out to eat pho or any noodle that come with herbs, I pack them in to go box to use at home. They smell fresh and nice, why just pack the leftover foods only? Got basil, bean sprout, cabbage, lime, and other stuffs to cook with them at home. My sis feel embarrass to go out with me lol.
If it came with the meal, it's yours to take.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:56 PM

371 posts, read 288,063 times
We go to all you can eat pizza & one trip salad bar during lunch

Price is under $10.

I save my salad for later taking it home

eat only pizza.

That = two delicious meals for just $10

Old 03-31-2018, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 589 times
I agree that there are many great suggestions for being more frugal in this thread. In fact, I just turned my thermostat down a few degrees to see if I could stand it!

Most of my more extreme measures for frugality involve going without something: no car, no cable, etc. I've been skipping supper for about four years and have noticed I actually sleep better on an empty stomach. Shampoo is a great multipurpose cleaner and I get by without buying bathroom cleaner, Windex, and the rest.

Laundry soap is one area I do splurge. I only use Tide. I tried All, both scented and unscented, and it made me itch. However, in the winter, I run every other wash on water only. There's enough soap residue in the clothes to get them clean again.

I've walked seven miles to avoid paying $2 for the bus. And I got to my destination faster than I would have on the bus. Public transportation is lacking here.

I haven't paid for a haircut since 2001. I simply let my hair grow out to its terminal length, which for me is about mid-back. It's the easiest hairstyle I've ever had.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:58 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Just removed my driveline and repacked my U-joints......as opposed to going down to the auto-parts store and paying 20-bucks for two brand new ones. Repacking was a pain.........worth it, IDK?

Old 04-01-2018, 06:48 AM

674 posts, read 608,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Cheap detergents can eat holes into your clothing.
Now I know why my daughter's and nieces' jeans have so many holes in them.

And I re-use used toilet paper.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:29 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
We once were so poor as kids we taped plastic over our windows.

Really kept the heat in and was very inexpensive. When family or friends visited, we'd take it down then re-mask the window
In New Brunswick in the 1960s, everyone did. Hardware stores sold it by the roll every fall.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:34 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I lived on an Air Force base out on the windswept prairie in the 1970's, and taping plastic over the windows was what everyone did.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:31 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelineHannon View Post
I agree that there are many great suggestions for being more frugal in this thread. In fact, I just turned my thermostat down a few degrees to see if I could stand it!

Laundry soap is one area I do splurge. I only use Tide. I tried All, both scented and unscented, and it made me itch. However, in the winter, I run every other wash on water only. There's enough soap residue in the clothes to get them clean again.

I've walked seven miles to avoid paying $2 for the bus. And I got to my destination faster than I would have on the bus. Public transportation is lacking here.
We turn down the stat too.

I'm/we're just the opposite. I use ALL free and clear. The Tide makes me itch and break out pretty bad. My OH itches too. So ALL is the best for us.

At one time when I could walk without a cane I used to walk up to 10 miles one way just to save bus fare. It was $1.00.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living