Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:22 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times

Advertisements

I try to budget $30-$35 a week for groceries for myself, I live at home but it helps my mom financially if I provide my own food, but this is usually what I purchase for myself on a weekly basis. I'm a single 22 yr old male and this is food purchased at Publix Super Markets

Bread (whatever brand is BOGO free, so 2 loaves) $3-$4
Ground beef $4-$6
Cheese $2.50-$3
Sandwhich meat, $8
Sandwhich bags (not needed weekly, but we'll add it here) $3
5 Frozen TV dinners $6 (Banquet brand)
Fruit Juice $4
Soda 2 liter $2
Fresh fruit $4-$6

Is that a reasonable enough budget and amount of food for me, or could I do better? (no I will not clip coupons, I dont have time for that) And remember, I'm shopping according to the store sales ad usually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,256 times
Do you have extra food left over? If yes, then you are spending too much. I'm kind of confused about your question. Have you ever considered buying fresh vegetables?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Do you have extra food left over? If yes, then you are spending too much. I'm kind of confused about your question. Have you ever considered buying fresh vegetables?
I dont like vegetables :P

Occasionally if I bought a BOGO item I will have food left over, and usually some unscrupulous family members will take my food without telling me so usually there isn't any left over. Sometimes there is sometimes there isn't. Its a toss up on that one

Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 PM

607 posts, read 1,217,411 times
I think that's a great budget for a young guy! I'm a 20-something yr old woman and I spend about $40/week on groceries. I like vegetables though so I buy fresh ones. I don't drink pop. And I'm partial to Amy's or Lean Cuisine frozen meals which cost a lot more than the Banquet ones. I also eat out a few times a week.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,792 times
You should eat something besides so many tv dinners. High in calories and fat. Do you like pasta? Pasta and sauce is a cheap meal. Add a little of the hamburger to the sauce if you like. Just a suggestion.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,256 times
You should consider investing in a crock pot. I didn't want to comment on the processed tv dinners but you're cheating your taste buds and your health. Have you ever heard of the term "the staples"? Meaning the food basics to maintain your diet. You could buy a five pound bag of rice to last you a month/$8. Cartons of pasta/$10 per month. Cans of pasta sauce to accompany your diet of sandwiches and ground meat. Also include a bag of frozen chicken and some canned soups for flavoring. If you think of buying in bulk on a monthly basis, your food cost could be even cheaper and healthier.

To use the crock pot, throw in a liquid, a starch and a protein with salt and pepper and you'd be in tip top shape. Nothing better than coming home to a hot meal. If your family eats your food, maybe they could contribute to your bulk buys and you all could eat together.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,391,649 times
I don't think you're spending a huge amount, but your repertoire is pretty grim. I can't throw too many stones because I don't cook and also ate out or ate PB out of a jar when I was your age, but now that I'm married with a wonderful husband who cooks daily for me, I am horrified by your diet of TV dinners and no vegs. Really, you like NO veggies? Not an ear of corn? Or a couple of carrots to munch on? How about celery to dip in PB? You can make a great Chinese stir fry with a few veggies, season it and serve it over rice, and wow, will it ever taste better than a Hungry Man dinner. Or, as someone else suggested, pasta -- tons of great pasta dishes cost next to nothing and taste much better with correct seasoning. Here's the thing: once you know how to season dishes, and make the initial investment in spices like tarragon and cumin and whatever, you can't go back to the frozen dinners; they're just horrific.

Also, why are you buying a couple of pounds of ground beef a week? Do you make burgers or something? It doesn't seem to go with anything else in your list. Maybe if you added some beans and rice and corn and turned it into chili? That would be great.

I can see the deli meat/cheese/bread and applaud the fact that you seem to brown-bag it for work or school. But unless you insist on buying roast beef, you can almost always get a better deal than $8 on deli meat by buying whatever the deli department's special sale item is (ham/turkey/salami or whatever; usually $3 or 4 a pound. Can't think you'd need more than that in a week; but maybe you take big sandwiches and you're buying two pounds?). Here's a thought - buy a pack of chicken parts next time they're on sale - breasts are almost always way overpriced, but chicken thighs are almost as good -- roast them in the oven, you'll have dinner the first night and fresh chicken sandwiches the rest of the week. You won't spend anywhere close to $8 on that. Just do me a favor and throw something green on the plate.

Now, as to others in your household stealing your leftovers, that's really the problem here if you really want to spend less and eat better (not that the latter point was part of your original question; I grant you that). If you can stock up even a bit when the store has great deals, you can save more $$. But not if someone's gonna scarf it all. That blows it all up.

So great job in thinking about these things, in not going for Mickey D's every day at work -- just try to branch out even a little bit at a time with a new recipe here and there, hoard some staples (in your room if necessary -- LOL), and you can really feel better about what you're spending and what you're eating. Added side benefit: girls ADORE a man who knows how to cook.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM

455 posts, read 979,837 times
I see you are in Florida and patronize Publx, as I do. BUT, I'm a serious couponer and usually pay about 50% for my groceries. Otherwise, I would have quit shopping Publix a long time ago. Their prices are getting ridiculous and rising daily. The only reason I continue to shop at Publix is that they have a pretty liberal coupon policy.

Check out the Aldi's web site: ALDI - Home Page Their prices are significantly lower and I'm told the quality of their products are fantastic. I believe there are at least four locations around Orlando.

Might want to pick up an inexpensive mini-fridge on Craigslist and keep it and all your non-perishables in your room.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,843,555 times
24 year old male here. I spend about $40 per week. I am in Chicago though so I feel its a little more pricey by me. I eat a lot of Fresh Spinach and other vegetables though too. If your looking to cut your budget (and your waistline), you should really switch to fresh produce. It is SO much cheaper. I started cooking with a lot of jalapeno and it makes my salads, spinach wraps, and chicken sandwiches so much better. I can usually walk out of the store with 2-3 days worth of produce for only $4-$5.

Either way, your budget sounds pretty good to me.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 AM

233 posts, read 720,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
I see you are in Florida and patronize Publx, as I do. BUT, I'm a serious couponer and usually pay about 50% for my groceries. Otherwise, I would have quit shopping Publix a long time ago. Their prices are getting ridiculous and rising daily. The only reason I continue to shop at Publix is that they have a pretty liberal coupon policy.
I totally agree that Publix prices are getting ridiculous and rising daily. I think the main reason is the lack of competition, especially in Florida. With almost 800 stores in FL, Publix has effectively forced most of their competition out of the market. I read an article that Aldi is planning to expand into the SE florida market with 60 stores in the next few years. I'm excited about the increased competition. I wish another major grocer would move into the area.

So, to OP, Publix is a great company to work for, but you are definitely overpaying for your groceries. Even BOGO is really no deal at Publix because the regular price is just double what you'd pay somewhere else, then you have all this extra stuff you might not use before the expiration date.

I also agree with posts above that what you're eating isn't probably the best for your health. I seriously recommend you consider other places to buy your groceries such as Aldi, Target, Wal-mart, etc. Also, produce stands are really good. The one in my area I can but a TON of stuff for less than $10. When I leave the stand I say to myself "This would have cost me $30 at Publix".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living