Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times

Advertisements

If this belongs in different section of forum, please move it-I couldn't figure out right place to put this.
Dithered about whether to post comment on this to already-existing thread, but couldn't decide which one, and didn't wish to cause off-topic drift.

Little boxes-as in, small containers. I have a weakness for them.

I'm talking about a number of different kinds of containers, but they all share same basic feature of being under a certain size (less than a foot in any single dimension, often only a few inches on a side):
they can be any shape-square, oval, triangular even (with lids).

There are a few categories:
-utilitarian unpainted wood ones that I see in craft store (they just seem like they'd be so handy to have around).
-decorative ornate ones from specialty store (such as those made with fimo dough to create nifty pattern).
-tins that held store-bought cookies (seasonal themed ones are most prevalent-I just wanted the product inside, not the tin, though).
-tiny jewelry boxes (with the cotton cushioning inside) that are made of cardboard (and are assumed to be disposable), but the coating on the box is so pretty (such as silver, scalloped finish) that I feel they're too nice to toss.
-and more...
I presume that some folks have tough time getting rid of plastic tubs that once held food, though that's not how it manifests for me. Couldn't find anything on the internet about the particular challenge of having too many little boxes-hence this thread. Am hoping that writing about it might help me with this.

Anyway, I have difficulty getting rid of the boxes & they end up as clutter, because they're too small to contain most of my possessions (which are generally "bigger than a breadbox"). They can be hard to recycle, as many thrift stores or donation destinations say they are overrun with such tins & don't want any more of them. I feel bad throwing out something so eminently reusable as a metal tin that's clean inside. Suppose I could try FreeCycle to see if I could get rid of them that way, but I worry about whether in future I'll need a container & regret having disposed of this or that one (since I'd already bought it & wouldn't want to have to buy another).

Admit I have this vulnerability, and I (now that I've realized this about myself) make a concerted effort to avoid acquiring any more. Am not really asking for advice, just wondered if anyone else has this same tendency (it seems rather a specific type of thing to collect, but I can't be the only one ) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Stop getting/buying/acquiring the stinkin boxes!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
If this belongs in different section of forum, please move it-I couldn't figure out right place to put this.
Dithered about whether to post comment on this to already-existing thread, but couldn't decide which one, and didn't wish to cause off-topic drift.

Little boxes-as in, small containers. I have a weakness for them.

I'm talking about a number of different kinds of containers, but they all share same basic feature of being under a certain size (less than a foot in any single dimension, often only a few inches on a side):
they can be any shape-square, oval, triangular even (with lids).

There are a few categories:
-utilitarian unpainted wood ones that I see in craft store (they just seem like they'd be so handy to have around).
-decorative ornate ones from specialty store (such as those made with fimo dough to create nifty pattern).
-tins that held store-bought cookies (seasonal themed ones are most prevalent-I just wanted the product inside, not the tin, though).
-tiny jewelry boxes (with the cotton cushioning inside) that are made of cardboard (and are assumed to be disposable), but the coating on the box is so pretty (such as silver, scalloped finish) that I feel they're too nice to toss.
-and more...
I presume that some folks have tough time getting rid of plastic tubs that once held food, though that's not how it manifests for me. Couldn't find anything on the internet about the particular challenge of having too many little boxes-hence this thread. Am hoping that writing about it might help me with this.

Anyway, I have difficulty getting rid of the boxes & they end up as clutter, because they're too small to contain most of my possessions (which are generally "bigger than a breadbox"). They can be hard to recycle, as many thrift stores or donation destinations say they are overrun with such tins & don't want any more of them. I feel bad throwing out something so eminently reusable as a metal tin that's clean inside. Suppose I could try FreeCycle to see if I could get rid of them that way, but I worry about whether in future I'll need a container & regret having disposed of this or that one (since I'd already bought it & wouldn't want to have to buy another).

Admit I have this vulnerability, and I (now that I've realized this about myself) make a concerted effort to avoid acquiring any more. Am not really asking for advice, just wondered if anyone else has this same tendency (it seems rather a specific type of thing to collect, but I can't be the only one ) ?

I guess I collect them, because I cannot walk by a small box or bag without having to have it. I have a few dozen at the moment and they are all destined for Christmas gifts. I will surely find something to go inside each and every one of them.
I also have to save/buy tins and will be using them for cookies this year. I get excited when I find empty popcorn tins thrown away near the dumpsters (I do think word has gotten around that I will cart every one home and clean it!)
I confess that I love to collect baskets for the same reasons... I love to make gift baskets. I scored at St Vinny's a couple weeks back - they had ALL baskets for 10 cents... I bought 20 of them! I intend to make hair care kit baskets for our local community center for Christmas gifts.

The collecting is only part of the fun; use your imagination and fill those boxes with trinkets that your loved ones will like. They not only get the trinket, they get a cool little box.
This way you get to indulge your collection urges and know that "someone is going to love this box" just as much as you do.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:43 PM

524 posts, read 843,899 times
I like the idea of Christmas gifts. It's hard to throw away a wellmade box, I agree. People I work with bring that stuff in and put it out on a table in the break room with a post it that says "up for grabs" Same with unwanted Christmas lotions and hand wash kind of thing.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Am not really asking for advice, just wondered if anyone else has this same tendency (it seems rather a specific type of thing to collect, but I can't be the only one ) ?
You're not the only one, I kow several people who do this, but I have to admit, on this item, I am a tosser. If you gifted me one loaded with stuff I'd seperate the stuff out, put it away and toss the container.

Just saw a Swiffer ad where the woman was cleaning her bathroom and it was SO easy with Swiffer (yeah, right) that she finally got to open the basket of bath goodies she got that have been part of the decor. My first thought was "Really? Who DOES that?" because I'd open up the basket and put away the stuff in it and toss the basket.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 AM

355 posts, read 913,572 times
I too have a weakness for a really well-made containers/tin/box. Seems I hang onto them forever before I ever find a really good use for them. In the meantime, I use them for storing batteries, snacks, crayons, etc. I just gave a bunch to my son's school and they were very grateful.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:29 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Should this be in shopping or mental health or something? OP is asking about others that collect them, not so Frugal !

Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Should this be in shopping or mental health or something? OP is asking about others that collect them, not so Frugal !
Quote:
I posted it here because I've seen other threads allowed in Frugal Living that ask about hoarding & clutter (incl. with respect to retaining old/used small containers, as well as other items)-and I have not seen such topics in other sections of the forum. Were I to post this under the section for Collections (one of the sections I considered before posting this here instead), I feel that it would be ill-suited, because I'm not collecting little boxes on purpose. I cannot address whether it might belong under some other subject/theme section, though.

To be clear: I'm trying to avoid buying any more of them (some I didn't even want, I just wanted the product inside-or I've received them as packaging for gifts I've been given), and am actively seeking to get rid of some. Part (though not all) of my difficulty in parting with them is the concern over "but I might need this someday, and I don't want to have to buy another one in future". I imagine that sort of situation can happen with a "frugal living" person who saves certain things that others might easily toss away-because the person is being frugal, in not wanting to waste a theoretically reusable/useful item.

As I stated in my OP, if a moderator thinks this thread would be more appropriately placed elsewhere, then please relocate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living