Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 AM

69 posts, read 84,491 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm somewhat new here but wanted to ask you about canning jars. I'm planning on needing hundreds of jars this spring, and wanted to ask for your tips and tricks on getting them for the least amount of cash. I'd prefer new ones (I've had older ones before and they tended to break), and I'll be keeping them for a long time.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Craigslist, penny saver, garage/yard sales...

You said older ones tend to break. What was the name brand on them?

Personally, I stick with the Ball brand. I've heard bad things about the jars made in China.

Box stores normally sell them cheap in the late spring or early summer. I've picked up cases of quart jars for under $8.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I agree, good quality jars won't break when they get old. I've got some that are 50+ years old that are just fine, and newer "no-name" jars that crack when you pick them up.

If you have any interest in used jars try your local recycling center. Ours will usually pick mason jars out of the glass bins and give them to anyone who asks.

Best time to buy is October-November. Anyone who has them on hand this time of year will want full price. As Ryan said, many retailers will have early-season sales this spring.

I'd also ask retailers what kind of a deal they'd make if you bought them all at once. Adding that many units to their stock order could possibly get them a lower price point on their inventory and they may be willing to pass some of that along, especially since they'll have the money up front.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
I sold a few dozen, used once, jars for $6.00 a dozen.
I lost the sale to someone who said there was a store about 20 miles away that sold new canning jars in the box for $7.00. They bought their's there.

I'd guess you should be able to find them around $7 per box of 12 in your area.

Buying on Ebay may be cost restrictive due to the weight and high shipping costs.

If will take you years to eat hundreds of jars of canned foods.
Once you have the empties you should be able to sell them on Craigslist and get about $6.00 a dozen.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Ahm, coming from a canning country, question do I have for you.
Do you have a cellar? As canned whatever has to be stored in a pretty low temperature. For HUNDREDS of jars, you will have to use dozens of refrigerators. Or a large cellar.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I think it's tough to find them online for bulk, but you could try to see if your local hardware store will give you a discount if you put in a bulk order with them. Also watch for the sales and shop around to see what they cost at your local stores. Last year I got some jars at Bed Bath and Beyond; I don't recall that their price was amazingly good, but I don't think it was bad, and they are always sending out coupons that bring the price way down (that's not going to get you to your total, but since you have time you could pick up some here and there if you get a good coupon). I've heard that sometimes dollar stores have canning jars for good prices.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Once you have the empties you should be able to sell them on Craigslist and get about $6.00 a dozen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ahm, coming from a canning country, question do I have for you.
Do you have a cellar? As canned whatever has to be stored in a pretty low temperature. For HUNDREDS of jars, you will have to use dozens of refrigerators. Or a large cellar.
I don't think the OP is using them to can food, unless he/she is contemplating some commercial venture.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Depends on the size of your family and how much and often you cook. I know several families who have hundreds of cans of fruits, vegetables, and meats.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Oh, my, I wish you'd been at a house sale I attended a couple of weeks ago. The big old house had been in one family (childhood friends of mine) for around 85 years, and they saved everything. Finally, the house had to be sold - the family took what they wanted, had an auction to get rid of most of the rest, then left the remainder for the new owners, who hosted the house sale.

The cellar still contained literally hundreds of Mason and Ball jars, most with lids - and a few still containing what appeared to be c. 1950s carrots or squash, from the family's farm (still in the family) just outside of town. No one seemed very interested in the jars while I was there - so they may be still in place in the old cellar, since they won't be in the way of the upcoming restoration/renovation/updating of the c. 1880s house.

So - if there are similar house sales in your area when spring arrives, be sure to inquire about canning jars. You just might be able to cut a deal.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The cellar still contained literally hundreds of Mason and Ball jars, most with lids - and a few still containing what appeared to be c. 1950s carrots or squash
Oh, my! I wish I'd have been there, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living