Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 AM

137 posts, read 278,879 times

Advertisements

I figured best to ask the frugal folks. Of course snowbirding isn't frugal at all.

But can I stay somewhere sunny and warm in FL with my Chihuahua, so likely needing at least a studio? Is there somewhere that snowbirds aren't going, so the rent isn't jacked up during the winter months, that I could have nice and safe and simple place to wait out the dark and cold.

Husband would like to live in Louisville, and he said that I could snowbird (otherwise I don't want to stay there in the winter.) So can I make his dream come true for him without making my life a frozen hell in the winter?

We spent a decade in FL, so I have come to worship the sun.

Thanks for any advice, tips, knowledge of special bargain sunny and warm places in the winter I can go, even not FL for 4months for around 3k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TULSA2ABQ View Post
I figured best to ask the frugal folks. Of course snowbirding isn't frugal at all.

But can I stay somewhere sunny and warm in FL with my Chihuahua, so likely needing at least a studio? Is there somewhere that snowbirds aren't going, so the rent isn't jacked up during the winter months, that I could have nice and safe and simple place to wait out the dark and cold.

Husband would like to live in Louisville, and he said that I could snowbird (otherwise I don't want to stay there in the winter.) So can I make his dream come true for him without making my life a frozen hell in the winter?

We spent a decade in FL, so I have come to worship the sun.

Thanks for any advice, tips, knowledge of special bargain sunny and warm places in the winter I can go, even not FL for 4months for around 3k?
Try these links.

Snowbird Resources Welcomes Snowbirds to Florida

Isnowbird.com: Your guide to the Snowbird Lifestyle

Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 AM

137 posts, read 278,879 times
Neat links thank you.

I pretty much got my answer though from the Florida forum. Looks like Winter Haven or Lakeland is the way to go. If it must be done lol!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Snowbirds are more popular in the southern half of FL, on both coasts, from the middle of the state southward. There are not as many snowbirds in N FL. It gets colder there in the winter. But it can be cheaper because not as much demand.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I don't think being frugal rules out travel or enjoying life. You can travel and be frugal. You can live in a campground instead of a $200 a night hotel and then cook your own meals and eat "at home". You can really be frugal and work as a campground host so you earn your campground lot and utitilities.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
You're basically asking to live in FL for $750/month. At that price, you won't find any studios that will take pets for a short-term or month-to-month lease. You may find a room to rent from an understanding homeowner. For Lakeland, you're looking at $450/month ( lakeland rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist ). That leaves you $10/day for food, gas, expenses, and entertainment for two people and a pet. Sorry, that's not gonna happen.

A more realistic number will be $6000 to snowbird and enjoy your time in FL.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:47 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TULSA2ABQ View Post
I'm living on less in my airstream.... just took the trash to the dumpster... in my T shirt.

And living well.

Southern La, AL, Ga, or the panhandle... it's easy to get campgrounds under $400.

I'm staying in one right now for $380, includes power, sewer, water, trash, and internet.

I like it.

I think I'll be putting a big metal garage on my ozark property rather than a cabin.

You might do well to outline WHAT lifestyle you want. You might want something like what I've got, you might want a park model, you might not want something like this at all.

Escapees forum etc caters to people who are interested in the nomadic lifestyle.

Otherwise... the 'not near the beach' areas of Fl... are very depressed in price.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm living on less in my airstream.... just took the trash to the dumpster... in my T shirt.

And living well.

Southern La, AL, Ga, or the panhandle... it's easy to get campgrounds under $400.

I'm staying in one right now for $380, includes power, sewer, water, trash, and internet.

I like it.

I think I'll be putting a big metal garage on my ozark property rather than a cabin.

You might do well to outline WHAT lifestyle you want. You might want something like what I've got, you might want a park model, you might not want something like this at all.

Escapees forum etc caters to people who are interested in the nomadic lifestyle.

Otherwise... the 'not near the beach' areas of Fl... are very depressed in price.

Only flaw in your reasoning is that the OP doesn't have a camper! So the question was can I get into a place for $750 a month, not $380 byoc (camper).

Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Only flaw in your reasoning is that the OP doesn't have a camper! So the question was can I get into a place for $750 a month, not $380 byoc (camper).

Didn't say it was THE answer.... Said it was AN answer.

And there are some decent TT for $5k Ish...
Even allowing for repairs, and if you NEVER use it otherwise... You break even (except you have an asset) in less than 4 years.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Didn't say it was THE answer.... Said it was AN answer.

And there are some decent TT for $5k Ish...
Even allowing for repairs, and if you NEVER use it otherwise... You break even (except you have an asset) in less than 4 years.
Yes, I think having a camper is about the only affordable way to really do what the OP is asking. It's not hard to find a smaller camper for $4K which should last a number of years and make it possible to stay for under $400 a month or even free. If someone is wanting to stay under $3K in the winter and wants to do this every year which is what snowbirds tend to do, then definitely a camper or RV would be the easiest way.

Campgrounds will hire someone on as a campground host and then the campground stay is free. That's what my dad did, he wanted to stay longer in Florida than he could afford to stay so he became a campground host which required only 4 hours of work 5 days a week. He also had free use of a truck and the golf-carts. He really enjoyed doing that because he was the kind that loved to have something to do. It did require having an RV or camper which he already had and he was able to stay the whole time rent free and utitilies paid plus have all the great outdoors around him. And having dogs was no problem except they had to stay on leashes.

Also since he could board up his northern house for the winter and put the heat at 50 or lower, he felt the savings on heat bills pretty much paid for the trip and he got to run around in shorts instead of shoveling snow and paying high heat bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living