Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times

Advertisements

I don't hoard because I don't have a big house to begin with, thus saving on the monthly mortgage payments. Really don't get it when people assume you're a hoarder if you proclaim to be frugal.. one of my major motivations for being frugal is that not only having a lot of stuff in the house costs money but it also creates stress and additional work in being clean and organized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:23 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
I've never really seen the two confused

Old 09-15-2014, 12:44 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,842,298 times
I agree with Lowexpectations. I've never seen it be confused. I could see if someone is so frugal that they refuse to throw away actual garbage which in turn can lead to hoarding. Most hoarders though aren't frugal. Mostly because they are shopping addicts or "collectors" of some sort which is a waste of money IMO.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I've definitely seen (and known) frugal folks who will not get rid of things, because they operate under a policy of, "I might need it later, and if I get rid of it, I'll have to spend money replacing it when I need it again." My dad is this way, as is my husband. I don't have a problem with it, and don't consider it to be hoarding as long as you have the space and resources to neatly store the things you have decided not to get rid of. If there's no room for it, it's out, sorry.

Not all hoarding is collecting trash. It can also be refusing to cull your belongings once you have run out of room to neatly store said belongings. Because of the "Hoarders" type shows, there's now the idea that hoarding is only things like piles and piles of newspapers and balls of tinfoil with dead cats underneath them.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,240,291 times
I'm semi frugal, but my kids think I'm a hoarder because I cant part with family mementos. I do have way too much, but how do I get rid of things that belonged to my grandparents or parents? <sigh> I am the self appointed family keeper of all things family.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I'm all for keepsakes and mementos, again, as long as one has the space for them. When you run out of space to neatly hold your belongings, start making some choices.

I am a sentimental person who does have some family heirlooms, so I'm not opposed to that. But I also know that my beloved grandma's house was full of stuff that was admittedly crap, and that her eyes would have popped out of her head if she'd realized people would want to save. I had zero problems at her estate sale, deciding that I would keep a pretty walnut shelf that she had displayed things on, and would remind me of her, as my keepsake, and not cry over pallets of Tupperware going on the auction block, because, "that was the bowl grandma always used to store applesauce in!!" or anything like that. You can go overboard on keepsakes and mementos.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:54 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
"Anyone else find it annoying when Frugality get associated with Hoarding?"

Nope, as I have not come across that at all. No one I know confuses the two.

Some people DO equate frugal with miserly, though!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I don't hoard because I don't have a big house to begin with, thus saving on the monthly mortgage payments. Really don't get it when people assume you're a hoarder if you proclaim to be frugal.. one of my major motivations for being frugal is that not only having a lot of stuff in the house costs money but it also creates stress and additional work in being clean and organized.
I've never heard the two compared. I don't care enough about most stuff to let that happen. And I've moved enough times that I get rid of 'stuff' every time I do! Even now, if I haven't used something in a year, it goes OUT. I admit though that I am behind in that. I have a small house as well and 'just enough' storage.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:18 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've definitely seen (and known) frugal folks who will not get rid of things, because they operate under a policy of, "I might need it later, and if I get rid of it, I'll have to spend money replacing it when I need it again." My dad is this way, as is my husband. I don't have a problem with it, and don't consider it to be hoarding as long as you have the space and resources to neatly store the things you have decided not to get rid of. If there's no room for it, it's out, sorry.

Not all hoarding is collecting trash. It can also be refusing to cull your belongings once you have run out of room to neatly store said belongings. Because of the "Hoarders" type shows, there's now the idea that hoarding is only things like piles and piles of newspapers and balls of tinfoil with dead cats underneath them.
My dad was the same way and my mom still is, to a point. She doesn't have as much stuff as a lot of people I know but enough that it's going to be a big job, when she's gone, to sort it all out. Everything has a place in her house but, boy, she has a lot of "everything". In just her bedroom, which isn't all that big, she has three dressers FULL, a closet overflowing and "stuff" on top of everything! That's just one room. Sigh.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Yes, I do!.......and I'll address tonight from work. But it does rather remind of the situation from classic Battlestar Galactica, "The Young Lords", where Lucifier tells Baltar that Spectre is storing more supplies than his needs.

"So he's stock piling....so what? What garrison commander doesn't?"--Baltar

People who have not faced a situation where everything isn't available at the corner store can't understand what it means to have to live like that.........especially when TV, shows of misery, tells them how to think, how to see situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living