Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times

Advertisements

You could always move out of the US and back into the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:41 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I have thought of doing this at different times. Sometimes people exaggerate the low costs of living in other countries.

Definitely for things like medical costs it's easy to find places much cheaper.

You can definitely find cheap places to live in the U.S and people do live cheaply in the U.S

Many places where you can buy for under $50,000 for example.

I think overall people probably move out of the country more for change of culture or change of scene rather than to save money. Not always of course.

And it's probably easier for people that are retired , with the internet though many people are able to work from anywhere...i'm not in that position though unfortunately.

I'm hearing about places like Cuenca,Ecuador becoming very popular with ex-pats.

Everyone's situation will be different. , and I think it would probably be hard for people that lived their whole lives in the U.S to adapt to living totally like a local.

Also it's hard for Americans or foreigners to live in the same types of housing at the same prices as locals pay.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:53 PM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
To anyone who is looking to move to a 3rd world country from the United States for a lower cost of living, all I can say is: proceed with great caution. You need to research very thoroughly what you're getting into and be prepared for it. These countries do not function like developed nations at all.

As they say, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To anyone who is looking to move to a 3rd world country from the United States for a lower cost of living, all I can say is: proceed with great caution. You need to research very thoroughly what you're getting into and be prepared for it. These countries do not function like developed nations at all.

As they say, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

This is NOT the 70s.

There are a LOT of the people on this forum who have held work visas in developing countries and spent at least a small portion of their careers working outside the US. It is NOT like they are throwing a dart and making the move.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:33 AM

334 posts, read 537,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
My older son is planning to move to the Philippines when he retired from the military. Cost of living is good and the weather is nice for someone that doesn't like cold weather. He has been there probably 8 or 10 times now. We are considering moving there or elsewhere. The US has changed.

Last week there was an earthquake there. This week a typhoon. Lots of poverty also.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
Last week there was an earthquake there. This week a typhoon. Lots of poverty also.
And terrorists, and kidnappings for ransom, and poisonous snakes.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:06 PM

175 posts, read 406,019 times
*sigh*, I would LOVE to live in other countries, although my plan wasn't to go to places like Mexico......rape, ransom and murder are just too risky for a blue-eyed light haired person. I live in southernnTexas right now and even my Hispanic friends will not go there anymore.....one neighbor used to go see her father twice a year for years. About 2-3 years ago she went. Her family wanted to go to the mall to shop. There were guerrilla type men in back of trucks outside the mall so they were not comfortable and went home. They stayedhome for the rremainder of the trip. The next week guerrilla style men killed about 15 people as they came out of the mall.
She has never gone back and says she never will. She was born there.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 PM

175 posts, read 406,019 times
Yes!!
Italy
Spain
Netherlands
Doha
None of these would be 'cheap',, I am afraid...
I know people who are from/live in these areas. I thought the American females would be leary of safety in Doha but they feel much safer there than in the USA!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 AM

398 posts, read 698,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
Yes!!
Italy
Spain
Netherlands
Doha
None of these would be 'cheap',, I am afraid...
I know people who are from/live in these areas. I thought the American females would be leary of safety in Doha but they feel much safer there than in the USA!
I'm betting there are MANY places on this earth where American females would feel safer than in the US! Definitely a concern. There is never enough conversation about women's safety.

OP, I feel for you about the healthcare situation. If push came to shove, and I'm sure it will some day, I'm considering retiring in a couple or so decades in a place that is "away". I am already 90% sure that cost/quality of healthcare will take center stage in this decision. Just hoping that time comes later rather than sooner.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:29 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I once thought about living in the Philippines on my SSDI. I visited the Philippines Winter 2004 and the exchange rate was 55.9 pesos per dollar, so stuff was very cheap. My SSDI back then was only $719 monthly and it's good I never decided to live there on that, as the exchange rate went down to 44 pesos per dollar. If my SSDI right now was $2000 / month, I probably would consider living in the Philippines and having a wife and two kids on that. $2000 / month is more than what many upper class middle income Filipinos make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living