Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:48 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times

Advertisements

Have any of you ever bought something at a store, used it, and taken it back - knowing you were going to take it back all along?

I haven't done this for many years, but I used to have to dress up for meetings or special occasions, and I would buy a nice outfit, new blazer, suit, etc., to wear at the event, knowing I was going to return it to get my money back.

Sometimes, I'd tuck the tag up under the sleeve and tape it there. I'd be avoiding bumping into people who might spill something on me, etc.

I was a single working mom, and just couldn't afford to keep a new outfit back then.

What made me think about this, is that I just recently bought a citrus juicer from Wal-Mart for about $20. I had gotten a bunch of free lemons, grapefruits and limes that I wanted to juice up and can. I looked and looked for one I could afford, and settled on a Black & Decker model for only $18 plus tax at Wal-Mart.

It got the job done, but it's supposed to automatically reverse so you get all the pulp juiced. Well, this feature doesn't work right, and because of that it takes longer to get the job done. If I was just going to juice a little juice for breakfast that would be one thing, but for a big job, it's just not a good option. Granted, you get what you pay for, but...

I've been sitting here drinking my coffee looking at the juicer (and the pretty little 1/2 pint jars of lime juice - my last batch of all the citrus I have to juice), and thinking I'll take it back and get my money back.

Granted, this is a little different than knowing from the git-go I was going to return it, but it made me reminisce about the "good" old days of wearing new suits with tags tucked inside the sleeve lol!

Have you ever done this? Bought something for a particular purpose, knowing you would use it and then return it for your money back?

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 01-12-2014 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Add photos

Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 AM

654 posts, read 945,646 times
No, I've never done this and I never will. I mean no offense, but doing this is not frugal, but downright cheap. People who do this are taking advantage of businesses and are actually harming the economy (because, after all, it is us consumers consuming who keep the economy healthy). Also, would you want to buy a product that was bought, used, and then returned and put back on the shelves for resale? I think not. I certainly wouldn't.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM

32,661 posts, read 48,079,532 times
No, I have not. I consider that to be theft and not just dishonesty.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
No, I've never done this and I never will. I mean no offense, but doing this is not frugal, but downright cheap. People who do this are taking advantage of businesses and actually harming the economy (because, after all, it is us consumers consuming who keep the economy healthy). Also, would you want to buy a product what was bought, used, and then returned and put back on the shelves for resale? I think not. I certainly wouldn't.
Exactly. It is, in essence, stealing.

Returning something because it is defective from the get-go is one thing. Buying something planning to use it and return it is theft.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 AM

654 posts, read 945,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Exactly. It is, in essence, stealing.

Returning something because it is defective from the get-go is one thing. Buying something planning to use it and return it is theft.
You're exactly right, it is theft. I hope people reading this don't get any crazy ideas.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 AM

22,597 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Nope... because it is wrong to do so.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:59 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
No. As others have said, it is dishonest and it is theft. I find it to be disgusting as well. If you can't afford something, don't buy it or save your money until you can buy it.

As for "being a single mother.....blah blah blah" Listen, if you can't afford clothing, save your money and buy 1 or 2 outfits for meetings or special occasions. Don't be a thief and then blame it on "being a single mother" There are plenty of us single mothers struggling everyday to get by. I would never, ever purchase an outfit with the intent on wearing it and then returning it. Disgraceful.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
I also consider it dishonest. You basically used someone else's goods without permission or payment. Then you potentially cost the business money because you returned a used item. It may have had makeup, perfume or BO on it causing the business to have to significantly mark it down since no one else wants someones seconds. The business may also have lost a full price paying customer in the meantime who didn't buy because their size wasn't on the rack.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I also consider it dishonest. You basically used someone else's goods without permission or payment. Then you potentially cost the business money because you returned a used item. It may have had makeup, perfume or BO on it causing the business to have to significantly mark it down since no one else wants someones seconds. The business may also have lost a full price paying customer in the meantime who didn't buy because their size wasn't on the rack.

I remember going to Kohls one day and trying on some clothes. There was one blouse that, as I was pulling it on, I could smell the BO and FUNK on it. I almost gagged. It was disgusting and I couldn't get that thing away from me fast enough!!! Some pig had obviously "borrowed" it for something and then returned it. When I was leaving the dressing room, I handed it to the associate and told her about the BO and the funk.... she said "it happens ALL the time".

What a freaking shame!!!!! The rest of us end up paying higher prices because people really believe it's OK to "borrow" clothing or items from a store and then justify it by saying they can't afford it or whatever. Sickening.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:40 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
LOL! I knew this would be a controversial thread, but I don't believe there are nuttin' but saints on City Data...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living