Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 05:50 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,180,454 times

Advertisements

I need to replace this old Motorola flip phone I have. The service is what I "inherited" from my partner, a Verizon account that is pay as you go...this month it was $5....so I want to keep this basic service, as it's pretty durn reasonable.

Its the "hardware" that I am looking for advice on. Just a basic cell phone, but would also like to know if I can get upgrades such as one that can text and send pix.

Not super necessary but was wondering about price range.

The idea is to keep this purchase pretty cheap as I would use this mainly for long distance or have it in my car or on-the-road as an emergency thing or if I need to coordinate a ron-day-voo with friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:55 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,372,356 times
When you say you have a cheap Verizon service, I am guessing this may be with Page Plus? If I am right, you can not use any phone that uses Verizon I don't think. They of course will try and sell you one of their phones (usually older models at higher prices) If that is your service, why don't you Google "Smart phones that work with Page Plus". However when you get into smart phones, you do need some data for update downloads so you would probably want to disable data on the phone and just do your downloads wirelessly from your home internet connection.

Actually, if you say you only spent $5.00 last month, you must have the Pay As You Go plan with Verizon. For that plan, I do not believe you can use a smart phone. I believe only a basic "dumb" phone will work with that. The Samsung they feature is a very reliable phone. It has a camera, but only a 1.3 megapixel which is not very good. It does text, but it would take you a day and a year just to say Hello.

Consider also buying from a reputable dealer on E-Bay.

Here's an older discussion from 2013. Phones would be older now, and cheaper or you could find a more recent discussion.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...mpatible-Phone

Last edited by modhatter; 02-03-2015 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living