Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:46 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,534 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there is a % based on income that is considered living below your means? Or if the actual number is more important. A couple making $150k who spends 60% of their monthly income on expenses still has more left over each month than someone who makes $75k and only spends 30% of their income on expenses.. Just the same I'd ideally like to get to a point where 25-30% of my income covers all my expenses, I think that would allow for a rather stress free lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 02:03 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I was wondering if there is a % based on income that is considered living below your means? Or if the actual number is more important.
Neither really. It is simply spending less money than you earn.

You can get other responses here....

What's Your Definition of "Living Below Your Means"

Old 02-09-2016, 02:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Neither really. It is simply spending less money than you earn.

You can get other responses here....

What's Your Definition of "Living Below Your Means"
Yep. Income exceeds what gets spent.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:18 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
I am still waiting for the first person on one of those TV "home finder " programs who walks in to a 2800 sq ft house and says ..............Its too dam big.

It amazes me when I see a couple ( married but no kids ) who say they " need " a four bedroom, three bathroom house. Are they going to run a bed and breakfast business ?

JiM B.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

It amazes me when I see a couple ( married but no kids ) who say they " need " a four bedroom, three bathroom house. Are they going to run a bed and breakfast business ?
Home office for him, home office for her, their bedroom and.... let's see, a home gym or a guest room for bedroom #4.

Bam... all in use.
No need to be amazed at all!

Old 02-09-2016, 04:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Home office for him, home office for her, their bedroom and.... let's see, a home gym or a guest room for bedroom #4.

Bam... all in use.
Or they can be like my next door neighbors, who bought more house than they needed (or could really afford) and have to rent bedrooms out to make ends meet.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Or they can be like my next door neighbors, who bought more house than they needed (or could really afford) and have to rent bedrooms out to make ends meet.
Then they are the example of living ABOVE their means.
We have a four bedroom house and live WAY below our means.

The # of bedrooms in a house is no indicator of what the OP is asking about.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:43 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
My wife and I have a two story house, that has a 1 bedroom basement rental unit, our one bedroom main floor living area, and a one bedroom unit on the second floor. The basement and the second floor bring in a combined rental income of $ 2200. Which covers our mortgage, utilities and property taxes. We put an additional thousand dollars a month into paying down the mortgage.

The total square footage of the house is 1500. It works for us.

Jim B.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:

Bam... all in use.

With all the talk of income inequality, as a poor person who rents rooms in crowded houses, I'm surprised housing inequality isn't on anyone else's radar.

You know, where some people have an entire house to themselves and others are overcrowded.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
With all the talk of income inequality, as a poor person who rents rooms in crowded houses, I'm surprised housing inequality isn't on anyone else's radar.

You know, where some people have an entire house to themselves and others are overcrowded.
Might be because that is not on topic. "What do you consider "Living below your means"?"
You CAN start another thread on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living