Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times

Advertisements

https://www.eatyourbooks.com/blog/20...cookbook-deals

Price ranges between $2-$8. I am thinking about springing for one or two. I am interested in the sheet pan cooking book, and possibly a vegetarian cookbook.

At any rate, if you love having cookbooks to use or browse, maybe there is a bargain here for you. I am pretty these are temporary price drops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 01:41 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Everyday, some nice people post a link to the FREE downloads from Amazon Kindle. There are cookbooks offered in those freebies every day.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/deals...ns-free-stuff/

I haven't been particularly impressed with any of them. But I typically search the internet for my recipes using reviews for some insight as well as sites that I've found that provided successful recipes in the past.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:28 AM

936 posts, read 824,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.eatyourbooks.com/blog/20...cookbook-deals

Price ranges between $2-$8. I am thinking about springing for one or two. I am interested in the sheet pan cooking book, and possibly a vegetarian cookbook.

At any rate, if you love having cookbooks to use or browse, maybe there is a bargain here for you. I am pretty these are temporary price drops.

Another great place for bargain cookbooks is through the blog for Workman Publishing. Workman has weekly deals, which are usually called "Blue Plate Specials." You can usually buy one of their cookbooks for about $2.00 each week. Workman also puts out a weekly newsletter with their deals. I've collected nearly 100 Workman cookbooks and gardening books over the past 4 or 5 years.

https://blog.workman.com/category/deals/

Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Another great place for bargain cookbooks is through the blog for Workman Publishing. Workman has weekly deals, which are usually called "Blue Plate Specials." You can usually buy one of their cookbooks for about $2.00 each week. Workman also puts out a weekly newsletter with their deals. I've collected nearly 100 Workman cookbooks and gardening books over the past 4 or 5 years.

https://blog.workman.com/category/deals/
Good info thanks. I've run into Workman cookbooks before. I believe they are softbound and targeted to the home cook.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:08 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
I've got a load of cookbook to donate to the thrift store. Unless I have a specific cookbook in mind, it is easier to search online for recipes. I've found All Recipes and Pinterest and many other free recipe sites online and they are free. If I try a recipe and like it, I print it out and make notes about suggested changes. I keep these in a three ring binder inside of page protectors.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:07 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've got a load of cookbook to donate to the thrift store. Unless I have a specific cookbook in mind, it is easier to search online for recipes. I've found All Recipes and Pinterest and many other free recipe sites online and they are free. If I try a recipe and like it, I print it out and make notes about suggested changes. I keep these in a three ring binder inside of page protectors.
Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would pay money for a cookbook in this day and age. I can Google any dish and have hundreds of recipes at my disposal free of charge.

And even if I wanted a physical cookbook for some reason, they can be had used for little or no money. Thrift stores are overloaded with them. I've been at auctions where boxes and boxes go without bids. A young lady I worked with who was just setting up housekeeping for herself asked where a good place to buy cookbooks was. We told her to send out an intercompany email asking if anyone had any to part with; she wen't home with a dozen, all free.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would pay money for a cookbook in this day and age. I can Google any dish and have hundreds of recipes at my disposal free of charge.

And even if I wanted a physical cookbook for some reason, they can be had used for little or no money. Thrift stores are overloaded with them. I've been at auctions where boxes and boxes go without bids. A young lady I worked with who was just setting up housekeeping for herself asked where a good place to buy cookbooks was. We told her to send out an intercompany email asking if anyone had any to part with; she wen't home with a dozen, all free.
Well, we simply disagree. If the internet suits, then by all means continue as you are.

YouTube also has some good instructional videos for technique.

A good cookbook is a compendium of knowledge, technique, and recipes.

You might have a look at Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything which can be dowloaded directly to your computer or mobile device. It is a fairly decent cookbook. Has a good food processor pie crust, at any rate.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:32 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I use recipes from the internet. The problem that I run into with the internet is that the reviews are all wonky. Either the "I didnt have beef so I substituted lemons" type or I've also run into recipes with lots of rave reviews that are inedible, usually due to extreme excess of salt or sugar.

At least if I am trying a new recipe from a cookbook by Paul Prudhomme or Madhur Jaffrey, I know the spices will be exactly right. With a good cookbook, you know you can trust the author.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I use recipes from the internet. The problem that I run into with the internet is that the reviews are all wonky. Either the "I didnt have beef so I substituted lemons" type or I've also run into recipes with lots of rave reviews that are inedible, usually due to extreme excess of salt or sugar.

At least if I am trying a new recipe from a cookbook by Paul Prudhomme or Madhur Jaffrey, I know the spices will be exactly right. With a good cookbook, you know you can trust the author.
You make a really good point. Many internet recipes are one offs. The writer made it once and then posted. If I am trolling the net for a recipe, I prefer known sources.

I do save recipes in Pinterest. But I also have Paprika, which is a mobile app that will grab an online recipe and save it so it can be accessed from phone or tablet.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I like this Kindle idea, OP, thanks. I've been being super frugal and using my library a lot, and have been taking out some cookbooks, but end up not reading them before I have to return them and I've been finding that frustrating. I downsized and got rid of all but just a couple cookbooks, but the problem now is that I've changed my diet and need to learn new recipes that don't use meat or dairy or oil. I've realized I'm just going to have to buy some. I'm particularly interested in learning how to cook Indian dishes that are vegetarian. I want to learn how to cook with those wonderful Indian spices, but I don't have a clue where to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living