Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:33 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

I have a car repair that is $625 that I am feeling like I should have said 'Can it be done for $575?' There is not a lot of wiggle room, given that parts are the majority of the total. People don't work for free. $625 seems fair, so I feel cheap not to accept a fair price and pay it.

I guess I am more apt to negotiate in one of two circumstances:

Either I know more about the wiggle room and can clearly see there is some that should be eliminated, or on occasion I have just been strapped. Not setting out to negotiate, just not having it. Sometimes in those cases the person offered a lower price w/o me asking.

Or I guess a 3rd case is just asking for the heck of it 'Do you give a Triple A discount?' Or whatever. Any kind of discount for anything?

Sometimes that is at least informative if there is no discount. Like on window tinting once they said yeah, in the winter we would do a discount, but not when we are slammed for business in the summer. OK, sure, I get that............supply and demand.

There is something terse about this lady at this new repair place. ! She makes me feel I shouldn't ask. She is a good salesperson, perhaps. Got me to just say 'OK'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 01:13 PM

61,715 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Yes, I do.
Almost every price can be negotiated, from house/car purchase, rent/lease, any goods, services, fees, furniture, to healthcare, travel, insurance etc.
It's also advisable to compare prices and get second opinion.
You can find many websites on the Internet that teach how to negotiate. It's not hard.
Example:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...ed1_print.html
https://goo.gl/cZqiqB
https://www.thebalance.com/ways-to-n...tively-2947174
https://www.moneycrashers.com/negoti...-a-great-deal/

Old 01-10-2018, 01:32 PM

In this case, I had my father, who is good with cars, to be able to tell me that the work they say needs done is right, and agrees we can't save much when most of the price is in the parts. (Especially since I'd also owe this place $90 for diagnostics, and they are aware I'd have to find enough savings to compensate for that).

You would still ask for something lower when you feel the price is fair? Also, I did the whole routine up front about how I never approve car repairs until my repair adviser has a chance to evaluate the estimate. In hopes they'd want to be competitive out of the gate.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My mechanic doesn't pad the bill. He charges what he pays for parts, plus a set hourly rate, and he knows how long it will take him to complete the job. So I never try to bargain with him. I only take cars to him if it's something I don't have the equipment to repair myself or something I can't access easily, so I already know how much I would pay for the part and have a general idea of how much work is involved.

Sometimes it's much cheaper to do things yourself. An example...the Honda dealership (not my usual mechanic, but where my husband wanted to take the van because he thought they'd know more about it) quoted $675 to repair two transmission sensors. I paid them the $80 diagnostic charge, went home and ordered the sensors for $23 each on Amazon. It took ten minutes to put them in.

I also do my own brakes. It's a lot cheaper, once you've made the initial purchase of jack stands and a giant c-clamp (or a piston tool).

Old 01-10-2018, 02:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
I generally try to stay away from auto repairs, however, have no compunction about asking for a lower price on most larger ticket items. My wife sometimes acts chagrined during the process, but often brags about the results afterwards.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I generally try to stay away from auto repairs, however, have no compunction about asking for a lower price on most larger ticket items. My wife sometimes acts chagrined during the process, but often brags about the results afterwards.
Auto repairs are kind of a mine field. The first concern for people who don't know anything about working on cars is simply 'I don't want to get cheated'. Be told a new engine is needed when really it's a much smaller thing to be done.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My mechanic doesn't pad the bill. He charges what he pays for parts, plus a set hourly rate, and he knows how long it will take him to complete the job. So I never try to bargain with him.
They have to pay employees and overhead and make a living. Before being frugal out of necessity, it was simple to accept fair prices and feel glad it was fair. Now I'm like but hm. Some people ask in every case if a lower price can be had, I am not rich, I should get with that program!

Old 01-10-2018, 04:32 PM

61,715 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Auto repairs are kind of a mine field. The first concern for people who don't know anything about working on cars is simply 'I don't want to get cheated'. Be told a new engine is needed when really it's a much smaller thing to be done.
That's why is so important to find and stay with just one trusted mechanic.
If you don't have any, and are not sure if the repair cost is honest - get a second and a third opinion...
Nothing wrong with shopping for the best price.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That's why is so important to find and stay with just one trusted mechanic.
If you don't have any, and are not sure if the repair cost is honest - get a second and a third opinion...
Nothing wrong with shopping for the best price.
Absolutely! But asking someone can you do it for less? Is different from that.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:49 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I've had to ask my mechanic to increase the price a couple of times. I once sat and watched as he discounted his work to an elderly widowed lady with minimal money - to the point of just barely making his nut. He does charge regular rate (in case you don't know, the hours required for all regular repairs on vehicles are listed in a database mechanics use) to those with the expensive new vehicles, but he understands that nursing old vehicles, especially for long-time customers, works to everyone's advantage. He doesn't cheat me, he works my jobs in as he can fit them, and there is no way I am going to keep him from making a fair return. I'm proud to know him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living