Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:29 PM

242 posts, read 1,187,281 times

Advertisements

Well, for my vac cleaner, I do not throw away the bag when it gets full. I just CUT the bag on the bottom and empty it out, and take DUCT TAPE and seal it up. Lasts me for a very very very long time and saves me $$$$$.============================================ = If I want a PIZZA, I fry bread in the pan and add my tomatoe paste, and season it up... i call it Poor Lady's Pizza. ================================================== =Make my own note pads,junk mail the envelopes I just cut the good paper up and make various sizes of notpad paper and tape them. ================================================== =Back in Hawaii, with the magazines I was getting, I cut out the pages and make my own envelopes, sure were different. ================================================== =I would be sometimes the Last person at the moving or garage sale, they would give me things for free. ================================================== = Use bubble wrap on the windows. Just spray one side and put it against the window, it will look blurry as you look out, but it works great in saving heat during the winter time. Sure put another one on over the first one. Time to come off, just pull it off and use it for nex season. Or just for privacy as a curtain that works too. ================================================== =Freeze the bananas that you buy, peel them, put into a food grade plastic bag and use for later. Add some milk put into a blender with a few bananas instant ice cream without the added sugars and junk they are putting into ice creams, any fruit will do this for you. ================================================== = Make your PORCH into a sun porch by draping and nailing in semi clear clear tarps. You will have your own sun porch and if you have a window or door to this porch, you can open the window or door to add more heat into your house. ================================================== =I use WHITE VINEGAR to mop my floors with, white vinegar has germ killling power. I use to clean my sinks and drains with. I would not advice you to use white vinegar in salads because it will cause one to get ANEMIC. ================================================== =White Vinegar to clean my windows.========================================== === I save my water jugs to water my garden containers. ================================================== =My mirrors, I just splash water on them and clean that way. ================================================== ==I dilute my milk and juices with distilled water. It saves money. ================================================== =I dilute the shampoo bottle and conditioner with water also. to save money. ================================================== =To save on water bill, I fill a bucket wtih warm water, put in my scrubbing cloth to get wet and lather it with soap and scrub and use the water frrom the bucket to rinse with. SAVES lots of water. ================================================== =I have more but my keyboard is accting up o me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 03:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
====I have more but my keyboard is accting up o me.
Yeah..looks like you have an angry "=" key

Old 04-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Default Fruga tips that I been using

Yeap, never know when the key does not stick,then it whatever keys it is sticks and runs away like this aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and then I have to go back and erase it, takes me some time to get out a message. Key board does not even go with this set up, I go back to the other keyboard to this one.... that is what makes life so annoying KEYBOARDS

Old 04-04-2009, 08:16 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,187 times
What do you spray on the bubble wrap to keep it to stick to the windows? And how hard is it to clean off of the windows after you take it off?

Old 04-08-2009, 05:59 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,959 times
Interesting tips...

Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 AM

Default frugal tips that I been using for years

Well Sweet People, I just use water, put it in a spray bottle and spray the back of the bubble wrap and press on to the window. There s no mess what so ever, because it is water tha makes the Bubble wrap stick. Now you can reuse this year after year, just mark down which windows that you used the bubble wrap. ================================================== =Also did you ever hear about the SOLAR panels that you HAVE to buy, that will reflect the suns heat back into the room of your house? I never brougt one, but it brings the heat up into a room and you are getting free heat. It a great invention who ever thought of that one. ================================================== =Also, putting a dark colored blanket in front of a window that gets sunlight into the room, will soak up the heat from the SUN... adding in more free heat.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 AM

Default frugal tips that I been using for years

HAIR CONDITIONER: 1 Table spoon or more if you hav long hair. Massage, MAYONNAISE into your hair. Let it stay in there. Then rinse well and shampoo. Some people I heard just rinse it out and comb and dry. ? ================================================== =HAIR RINSE: 1 pint of water, 1 Tablespoon Apple cider vinegar mix and shakke the bottle that you put thesee ingredients in. Now, after you have shampooed your hair, and rinsed it, then you pour the mix in you hair and you do not rinse out ================================================== HAIR RINSE: this will LIGHTEN your hair over time. JUICE from one lemon , 1 pint of water. Mix in a bottle. On clean hair, put this in your hair and do not rinse out.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:45 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,428 times
I use white vinegar in a spray bottle as a general household cleaner, as well as on windows, it works fairly well and is non-toxic.

And the vacuum cleaner bags--my husband just painstakingly empties the dirt out of the top of them, probably Kapalua's duct tape idea would be easier.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,819 times
Put coffee grinds and plant trimmings into coffee cans during fall & winter months. (nothing with seeds tho!) Dump into gardens as soon as the snow melts. Makes excellent mulch.

Collect and label seeds from flower beds and garden to use the next year. Not only do you not have to buy the seeds again, but they become 'heirloom' plants with proven results!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,095,050 times
Great tips, esp the bubble wrap one! I bet you could get some nice effects with the colored kind of bubble wrap.

Before I got a bagless vac, I used to empty the bags too, but you only want to do it a few times. The actual paper of the bag will eventually clog with particles and overwork the machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living