Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 09:48 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

I was in Beirut last week and shopped a few times at this fairly upscale supermarket (it's HUGE and pretty slick). So, first time I checkout the cashier shortchanges me by 10 cents, I try to mention it and he shrugs and pretends not to understand what I am saying. I thought maybe the culture there is to round off to the nearest due to small change problems. Second them same thing happens, this time about 15 or 16 cents. I once again draw attention but again he pretends not to understand and says something back in Arabic, I am a bit upset (it's not the money but the principle!)...
The 3rd time I try the reverse, I give the cashier 15 cents less, immediately the guy tells me I am 15 cents short. Suddenly the math is all perfect LOL! I ask him to page the manager, who comes by and I explain to her what happened to me on 2 previous occasions. She apologizes profusely and insists I do not pay anything more and to report to her immediately when such a thing happens and I thanked her...but the other people in the store and the staff probably think I am nuts LOL!

So, do you think I made a big deal about nothing (a few cents) or was I right in bringing it to the managers attention? I know I should've done it when it happened but I let it go since it was "just a few cents" but one needs to take a stand and be assertive about these things I figure....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
If they are swiping from you and short changing you ...then imagine if they are doing that with EVERY customer !

Shame on them....

Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
In many third world countries, the prices of almost everything are rounded off to whatever is the convenient coin, which might be 10c or 20c. For example, in Mexico, everything is rounded off to the nearest peso, which is about ten cents. However, grocery prices of things that are sold by weight will come out to odd amounts, like P6.41. Small coins are rare, and it's not worth searching for nine centavos (about a penny). So they will round it one way or another.

It may be that in Lebanon, they just round it up, or certain cashiers assume that they can round it up. The LBP-100 coin is probably the smallest in circulation, and it's worth 7 cents, so you change is never going to be any closer than that.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:03 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Classic skimming. It is much more common than you might think, even in the U.S.. Bartenders are famous for stuff like this, and the entire Point of Sale industry is built on trying to thwart cashiers like this.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I don't know enough about the culture there to say if you did right or wrong in notifying the manager. It might be a cultural thing - for example in America one normally tips a waiter unless they provide really bad service, but in much of Europe tipping the wait staff is not normal.

What I am saying is: "Don't be an uglo-American". If this is culturally normal, as they say, when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
You're at a grocery store in Beiruit and you expect everything to be on the level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living