Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,667 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
This may be all over the place, but I have a few questions about some plants I'm growing (all plants are inside in pots, by a window facing west, located in Phoenix so they get lots of sun and arid air, but with the A/C it's about 78 in the apartment):

1) I'm trying to grow a bhut jolokia plant, but after about a month it has grown about an inch and won't grow any higher. I have a purple habanero plant that has grown to about 18 inches, so I'm not sure why the bhut jolokia won't grow any higher.

2) I have a Venus fly-trap and two different types of sundew. Apparently one sundew has managed to get spores into the fly-trap's pot and a few are growing. Will they suffocate the fly-trap or can I leave them in there?

3) This is a two-part question: I'm planning on moving once I find a job somewhere else, but all the cities I'm looking in are generally cooler/colder, more humid and cloudier than Phoenix. Will this affect the plants once I move? They all seem to be perennial here. Also, has anyone moved plants a considerable distance before? I'm looking for advice on how to safely move them on a move as far as 2700 miles from here.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 05:55 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,690,453 times
Pepper plants are perennials. I talked my buddy into moving a jalapeno into the house over winter. He named it Pedro. Pedro is now going into his second Pittsburgh Winter. He will drop his leaves, and look dead, but will comeback in very early Spring.

Chili plants are a desert plant by nature. They like it dry. I let mine go for a while between waterings. Your Jolokia is a native of India. I'm not sure what the growing conditions are there. The existence of that pepper was confirmed only a few years ago. Plants require nitrogen to put on size. I would assume your jolokia is no different.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Plants require nitrogen to put on size. I would assume your jolokia is no different.
Thank you. I'll see if I can find something at the nursery to help it grow.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
I'm up here in Montreal and have had much success growing Habaneros in pots (plastic kitty litter containers)on my back porch from May to September, never had any success planting in the ground.Peppers like it hot and dry and full sun,fertilize once a week until you see flowers i use the general fertilizer from Miracle Grow, water when the leaves droop..Not sure how the plants would react to the move you are considering,i'd probably donate your plants to a good home and start over when you get up north,.

Fiery Foods and Barbecue SuperSite

Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm up here in Montreal and have had much success growing Habaneros in pots (plastic kitty litter containers)on my back porch from May to September, never had any success planting in the ground.Peppers like it hot and dry and full sun,fertilize once a week until you see flowers i use the general fertilizer from Miracle Grow, water when the leaves droop..Not sure how the plants would react to the move you are considering,i'd probably donate your plants to a good home and start over when you get up north,.

Fiery Foods and Barbecue SuperSite
That's cool, thank you. I'll likely be in an apartment at first, so they'll have a bit more climate control. The move might be okay if I can get out of here before it cools down tremendously in other cities.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:47 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Hummmmmm, the Venus Fly Trap is commonly found growing wild along the N.C. outer banks.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:13 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,566 times
The survival of plant has its own laws, you do not need to ask these questions too. All in harmony with nature.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Pepper plants are perennials.
Only in areas that do not have a hard freeze, in this part of N.Carolina, they are annuals.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:52 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Hmmmmm.......so that's why my habanero pepper plants didn't bear well......I probably gave them too much water. I got bushy, healthy growth but only a few peppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden