Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 03:38 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times

Advertisements

That should work, but from what I was told they are a cinch to grow from seed so maybe it would be less of a hassle to wintersow them right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 03:58 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Only problem w/ growing them from seed is that many varieties don't produce the same plant from their seeds. I have several rooting on my kitchen counter right now!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
How long will it take my cuttings to start developing roots? I've tried 4 as an experiment. They've been sitting in water for 2 days now--so far I see nothing except the leaves are wilting quite a bit. But that's because it's just been 2 days, right? Should I expect to see roots by the end of the week? And, should I change the water (standing water starts to smell after awhile).

Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
The fastest one to grow roots, in my experience, is sweet potato vine! I bought two tiny plants at Lowes last spring and now I have it hanging over just about every pot, used as ground cover where things looked bare...it's amazing. They can literally root overnight in a jar with water. All these plants I have for about $3, I love the chartreuse color, and I won't feel guilty when it gets cold and dies!
After reading this thread, I, too, was remembering the sweet potatoes my mom used to grow in a jar of water. She stuck toothpicks into the sides of it, immersed about 1/3-1/2 of it in a jar water and set it in a sunny place. It had long vining sprouts very shortly that would grow several feet long.

ETA: As long as we're talking about rooting plants from cuttings, is it possible to root an annual plant from a cutting such as basil and keep it over the winter and then re-plant it in the garden next spring? Same question for a perennial like oregano.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 10-03-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Another question I have is how long you can keep a certain plant going.

For example, I have this one particular coleus that's been alive now since May. If I take cuttings from it and then replant it next spring, it will live one more year. Can I then do the same thing again next fall? Is there a limit to how many years I can keep doing this?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
How long will it take my cuttings to start developing roots? I've tried 4 as an experiment. They've been sitting in water for 2 days now--so far I see nothing except the leaves are wilting quite a bit. But that's because it's just been 2 days, right? Should I expect to see roots by the end of the week? And, should I change the water (standing water starts to smell after awhile).

I've had them root after a few days, but usually a week or maybe even longer. Yes, change the water.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
After reading this thread, I, too, was remembering the sweet potatoes my mom used to grow in a jar of water. She stuck toothpicks into the sides of it, immersed about 1/3-1/2 of it in a jar water and set it in a sunny place. It had long vining sprouts very shortly that would grow several feet long.

ETA: As long as we're talking about rooting plants from cuttings, is it possible to root an annual plant from a cutting such as basil and keep it over the winter and then re-plant it in the garden next spring? Same question for a perennial like oregano.
I've no idea. So far the things I've managed to grow from cuttings are the coleus, sweet potato vine, and two butterfly bushes. Anyone?

Old 10-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I've no idea. So far the things I've managed to grow from cuttings are the coleus, sweet potato vine, and two butterfly bushes. Anyone?
Well check this out! How to Grow Basil From Cuttings | eHow.com

Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 AM

24 posts, read 61,107 times
Coleus can be taken up. But remember that outdoor plants often have insects in the soil, and even on the plant itself. Some pests are OK outside, but when u bring them in, they really thrive.

You can take the plant out of the soil, wash the leaves and stem, and re-pot. That's safest, in terms of introducing pests.

Cuttings of coleus grow without any effort. Just take a green stem...not the wooden part below.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 AM

It's been 8-9 days now. I have 10 glasses of water sitting on a shelf in front of a southern facing window. It gets light but not burning light. I split the cuttings into three type--some with longer stems and several leaves, some with just 1-2 leaves (or the flower spike from the top of the coleus), some that are just leaves.

Nothing has any roots at all. Nothing! Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Should I post photos of what I've done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden