Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest a good annual to grow from seed for a bed that gets only afternoon sun? I'd like something that grows quickly to flower and can tolerate the heat. 10-18 inches tall would be great but others are ok too. All I have in the bed now is a rose on each side so I just want some nice bright color for the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:49 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
I'm not certain about the afternoon sun only - but we've had the best luck the last several years with zinnias. They grow quickly and bloom and re-bloom all summer long into fall.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Four o'clocks area fantastic afternoon summer annual summer flower.

They thrive in very hot temps. Just need a lot of water. Great to plant from seed.

Four O'Clock Seeds - Fragrant Trumpet Annual Flowers at Burpee.com

Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
Vincas are the toughest annuals I know of. When the humidity kicks in they go crazy with growth. They just need plenty of sun.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Vincas are the toughest annuals I know of. When the humidity kicks in they go crazy with growth. They just need plenty of sun.
I love vinca. Great suggestion.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Your requirement list made it real hard. Many of the annuals that can tolerate just afternoon sun that are traditionally planted in gardens don't get much above the 10 inch mark unless you are in an area with a fairly long growing season. Some do not grow well from seed and others would be too tall. Many part-sun plants need protection from afternoon sun intensity or they get burned leaves. Add fast growing and there are almost none to recommend.

Short and colorful (they won't grow much taller than your bottom end requirement), but not always easy to grow from seed would be Wax Begonia and Vinca. There is a newer variety of Impatiens called SunPatiens that can handle hot sun, but I don't know if you can get the seed yet. Borderline plants that should be OK would be annual Salvia. There are shorter and taller varieties of Snap Dragons that will do alright if they get at least 5 hours of sun.

Among the taller varieties of annuals (more likely to be higher than your 18 inch requirement) that you can grow from seed are Nicotiana, Cosmos, Zinnia, Cleome and mid sized sunflowers.

Traditional annuals that have good, bright blooms like Marigolds and Zinnias will bloom less -with less than most of the day sunshine- but will tolerate afternoon sun. A few of the taller varieties would fit in the 10-18 inch requirement but they may turn out to be a bit leggy as well.

Keep in mind already started plants you pick up at the local nursery will give you a head start in your requirements. Plants like wax begonia are the most adaptable to growing in full sun to near full shade but their seed is microscopic and requires fussing most people don't like to do. Vinca will have fewer flowers in less sun, but thrive in heat and humidity- but - are fussy to start from seed (yet mine have self seeded themselves like weeds... go figure!). I hope that gives some ideas to start with.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
How about zonal geraniums, calendula, fibrous begonias, tuberous begonias...

Old 04-16-2011, 03:53 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Oh thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm still deciding which to go with but I guess I had better hurry.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 AM

494 posts, read 1,675,407 times
cosmos get a little taller but are quite durable

Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innertuber View Post
cosmos get a little taller but are quite durable
Also, cosmos come in dwarfs these days! I also love California poppies. They reseed themselves in my region and if they're growing where I don't want them to, I just weed them out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden