Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 04:36 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Sheila Terry got more than just a bunch of bananas from her shopping trip to the Superior WalMart on Tuesday.

After taking them to her home in Hayward, her husband, Dan, went to pick one when a spider about 4 inches long fell out from the stem.

Possibly dangerous spider found in bananas from WalMart | Superior Telegram | Superior, Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:53 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,379,228 times
Superior WalMart - we've only got Super WalMarts here.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:10 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,766 times
I don't think there would have been enough left of the spider to take a pic of if it had been in my bananas...just a big smushed looking smudge on the bottom of my shoe...or whatever object was closest to me at the time. >shudders<

Old 05-02-2011, 01:39 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,055,023 times
I highly doubt this story is true. The part about finding the spider is but everything else I doubt.

Bananas are picked green and shipped in containers just above freezing to keep them fresh. They are also shipped in a gas that turns the bananas yellow because an un-ripe banana will not turn yellow if picked green.

So I highly doubt the spider survived the trip once it was in the shipping container.

Then you have this lady saying that she's not looking to get anything from Wal-Mart yet set's has set up an insurance claim. Plus she goes on to say that she will hold onto the spider until the situation with WalMart is resolved.

This just screams that I want to be compensated by Wal-Mart for finding a spider in my bananas.

busta

Old 05-02-2011, 05:23 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Uh the Del Monte bananas I get from Costco and Food 4 Less are usually green as heck and I let them ripen on the counter. I actually have a rotating stock green, yellowing and yellow. I have found a few bugs in them but never a spider. This has happened in the past. I check all my nanners before leaving the store. Actually since the 1980's was when I first remember a banana spider story.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:00 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
I bought a down duvet at Sears that was made in China. That's weird right off the bat because I never buy Chinese things. Antway we got home with it, put it on the bed and went to bed. About ten minutes after going to bed I suddenly felt something that felt like a gun shot right in the middle of my abdomen. I leaped up and searched the bed but never found the culprit. I had to go to the emerg. where they said it was some kind of foreign spider bite. A solid hard mass about 2 inches in diameter rose up around the bite and it hurt like crazy. It took a full year for the bite to completely go away. Before this episode I was not afraid of spiders in the least. Now I'm very wary of them and kill any I see around my house. I've always liked the fact that we have no poisonous spiders here in Ontario but you gotta look out for those illegal alien ones. LOL

Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,708 times
Default Referring to the town

This took place in Superior, WI. That's why they called it the Superior Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Superior WalMart - we've only got Super WalMarts here.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I highly doubt this story is true. The part about finding the spider is but everything else I doubt.

Bananas are picked green and shipped in containers just above freezing to keep them fresh. They are also shipped in a gas that turns the bananas yellow because an un-ripe banana will not turn yellow if picked green.

So I highly doubt the spider survived the trip once it was in the shipping container.

Then you have this lady saying that she's not looking to get anything from Wal-Mart yet set's has set up an insurance claim. Plus she goes on to say that she will hold onto the spider until the situation with WalMart is resolved.

This just screams that I want to be compensated by Wal-Mart for finding a spider in my bananas.

busta
yep, i agree:

Quote:
The Terrys said they’re now considering legal action.
why? what injury did they suffer?

reminds me of this story out of oklahoma-

Spider Found in Grocery Bananas Misidentified (http://blog.oeta.tv/onr/index.php/2009/03/20/spider-found-in-grocery-bananas-misident - broken link)

Old 05-03-2011, 08:07 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,567,825 times
that bunch of bananas was actually the spider's website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden