Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,150,852 times

Advertisements

Here's my dilemma: We currently live in a rental that has shared fences all the way around. There is a weed/vine type of plant that is right smack in the middle of three properties. At first we thought it was in our neighbors to the back-left of us and so we would just trim it. Well, recently our jerk neighbor directly to the back of us complained to our landlord and HOA about us not cutting our vine and it was getting into his yard. Long story short I looked over the fence to see if it was his direct neighbor's vine and it has a small fence around it placing the weed/vine directly in the middle of our yard and his (not the jerk). I don't know if you can visualize it but we don't know who it belongs to. Obviously they (the left-backyard neighbors) have a very pretty yard and this weed/vine does not flop over their yard. It grows like a weed of course, and we have to constantly trim it. I have seen this same type of vine/weed down the street in a park and it's HUGE, the size of a tree!
So my question is how can I kill this weed? It's obvious the other neighbor doesn't care and is probably thinking it belongs to us
Now, don't even tell me to tell my landlord, he doesn't care and wants us to take care of things like this.
Remember I have no access to this weed except if I climb a small stone retaining wall and peek over to see it. I think there is small room under the fence to reach it if we wanted to poison it
Any advice would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
It would be illegal for you to trespass to kill a plant that does not belong to you. I'd suggest not trimming for awhile and then using Round-up on that part which grows over your side of the fence.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 AM

I think I'm just going over to the neighbor's and ask them if they mind if I kill it since we don't know who it belongs to us or them!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,861,543 times
full strength round up after a couple of applications should do it and if not, take some of the vine and place it into a closed as much as you can contianer so it doesn't spill and let it soak up full strength round up.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
How do I kill a plant?

Yank it's roots out of the ground and then squeeze its' neck really hard so it can't breathe.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
It might be better just to aske them to keep it trimmed back. That would still leave you an option if they do not. If you ask to kill it and they say no then you are stuck with trimming.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM

I should mention this vine is about 6 feet tall now so I can't yank it out with my hands. At first I thought maybe it was a nice plant and it would flower. But we kept waiting and waiting and nothing! I'll buy the round up but in the past the stupid round up wouldn't even kill my weeds in my lawn. You think it's going to work on this huge vine??? My DH said "let's just pour antifreeze into it, that'll do it"

Old 07-13-2011, 01:50 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,923 times
First, I'd talk it over with the neighbors so everyone understands your complaint and I'm sure everyone will eventually realize that you have a valid point and who knows, they may want to help you out trying to kill the darn thing.
I think Roundup will work. I'm not sure if you have a wisteria but if you do, you can try what I did and it may work for you as well.

This is what I used on the nasty wisteria vine in our yard.
Round Up Pump and Go (white colored 1.33 gallon bottle) with 2% glyphosphate.

Here's the thread I started a few weeks ago.
Help the attack of the killer vine tree wisteria!

I gave an update just to share what worked for me and hopefully works for you.

Update
From my experience, the RoundUp does work but you have to use it generously.
Here's what worked for me but can't guarantee it will work for you.
Although Round UP does work within a few hours on grass/weeds, I would be more optimistic on the results if it didn't rain a day after using it. Before doing this, I'd recommed you do it with atleast 2-3 days of sunny weather, if it rains a day after spraying, it might/will dilute your concentration of Round Up before the roots absorb the solution.

Materials used:
Cordless drill
Round Up Pump and Go (white colored 1.33 gallon bottle) with 2% glyphosphate.
any kind of shears to cut wild overgrowth

If you have somewhat of a mature tree (4yrs-up)
1. Drill 4 holes(eg. north,south,east,west manner) at the base of the trunk and spray liberally until holes are filled with Roundup.

2.Spray the ground around base of trunk liberally, 1/4 gallon.

3.Cut any wild overgrowth within reach and dispose (make sure you pick up everything or the cuttings may come back to life)

4.Check the tree the next day, it should show signs of wilting. If not, you may want to spray another 1/4 gallon on the ground around the base of the trunk.

If your tree is less mature (less than 4yrs), spraying as in step 2 around the base of the trunk will probably be enough to put it out of its misery.

Hope it works for those that have a wild wisteria taking over their yard.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:25 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
The obvious answer is, pay a lot of money to a garden center, then plant it it my yard. It's sure to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden