Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times

Advertisements

As a tree lover in Houston, I've always been kind of upset about the fact that a lot of my favorite trees cannot really be found in my region of the country. Trees are very very abundant in this area, but not some of the prettier, stately ones, in my opinion. Pin oaks, for instance, are not wild here. I've already found a nursey to purchase some from, but I was concerned about wasting my money if the trees could not survive in Texas.

My question is, does anyone know if and how well temperate plants perform in subtropical climates, and what type of extra precaution needs to be taken to insure my trees are well taken care of. Any type of info is very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 12:32 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Native plants to your area will do best. Non-native plants can do well with some modifications to soil, temperature variables and growing area for sun exposure.
Your best bet is to check with the nearest professional nursery for the exact type of plants that can be grown for your micro area.
Also your State Agriculture Extension Service is a good place for information as well as any school with a horticulture program.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:36 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Native plants to your area will do best. Non-native plants can do well with some modifications to soil, temperature variables and growing area for sun exposure.
Your best bet is to check with the nearest professional nursery for the exact type of plants that can be grown for your micro area.
Also your State Agriculture Extension Service is a good place for information as well as any school with a horticulture program.
No idea where my nearest professional nursey is. Does anybody have any experience with these types of plants?

Old 08-19-2007, 09:49 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
If you haven't already done so, Google "Texas native plants" and you'll come up with some lists put together by Texas A&M that will have lots of information about trees for your area. Also, there is most likely an "urban forester" in your area and they are wonderful sources of information.

I've had mixed results with nurseries, because it seems that if they're carrying it, they'll sell it to you, regardless of whether it's a good fit for your area.

Also, I've had not very good results from planting trees that aren't meant for my region (S. Texas). For example, I planted a Texas red oak, that is really more of a W. Texas tree because I was hoping for some fall color. It's doing all right, but it's not growing at anywhere near the rate of the live oaks I've planted. Whatever it needs, it's not getting it in my yard.

On the other hand, I just discovered a HUGE mango tree, covered in delicious, ripe mangos, in a big back yard here. No one would tell you to try to plant a mango tree here, so.... I don't know.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
mpope409; quote; Pin oaks, for instance, are not wild here. I've already found a nursey to purchase some from, but I was concerned about wasting my money if the trees could not survive in Texas.

Try googling Pin Oaks and you'll find many sites dedicated to this tree. In Texas where you have a lot of moisture it should grow well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden