Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times

Advertisements

I'm putting this in the gardening forum because I'm not sure where it should go.

Can anyone tell me how much time it takes to care for 4-6 chickens in the backyard, once they're grown and established? I want to get some and my husband will build a chicken tractor, but I'm just afraid I won't have enough time to properly care for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I didn't look at what's included in this thread, but I remember there's a lot of good info in it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...s-anybody.html

Old 03-09-2012, 12:51 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Chicken tractor? I'm envisioning all kinds of strange contraptions--I've never heard of a chicken tractor.

Chickens largely take care of themselves. The biggest problem with keeping them in a back yard is the neighborhood dogs.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Chickens are VERY low maintenance.

Mine, though, are free range, and other than giving them (and the ducks) food a couple of times a day, and trying to find the hidden nests, I don't put much effort into mine at all. And the only reason I feed them more than once a day is because I have so many and that way I'm ensuring that everybody gets a chance at the feed.

If you're going to use a tractor, you will need to move it around to avoid ending up with a muddy, poopy mess. Depending on the size of the tractor, I would think you could get by with only moving it every two or three days - again, a lot depends on the size of the tractor, as well as the size and the number of birds (bantams will require less space per bird than your big Buff Orpington).

Fill their feeder once a day (or less with a larger feeder), make sure they have water (especially important in the summer, of course), make sure they're protected from the weather, including making sure they have shade or some kind of cover in the summer, and gather those nice fresh eggs.....and enjoy.

One thing to remember, though, if you're thinking about letting them out to roam your yard on occasion, they can be pretty damaging to plants, especially young ones, by "dusting" themselves.

And like another poster suggested, be wary of neighborhood dogs or even roaming raccoons. I don't think 'possums are much of a problem with full grown birds but they will raid your nests and get the smaller birds if given a chance - but they're pretty lazy and opportunistic and tend to prefer cleaning up the messes left behind by other predators.

So, if you're willing to trade a few minutes a day to the care and upkeep of your birds in exchange for those wonderful eggs, I say "go for it!"

Old 03-09-2012, 03:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Chicken tractor? I'm envisioning all kinds of strange contraptions--I've never heard of a chicken tractor.
Mobile homes for chickens.

Chicken Tractors & Mobile Chicken Coop Designs - BackYard Chickens Community

Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM

I can't help myself....the image of 'chicken tractor'....is just so funny.....

Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Can't resist---

[CENTER] [/CENTER]

Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM

One more and I'll leave this thread alone.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:28 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Azoria, you're making me laugh!

Thanks for the info. Our city recently passed a backyard chicken ordinance where you can have up to 7 or 8 hens. I really want to do it, but between work, exercise, keeping up with our teenager and all the other daily responsibilities I'm worried about having enough time. If it's just a matter of feeding and making sure they have water every day and then cleaning the coop, etc. on the weekends, I could manage that I think.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Here's a helpful list of breeds:

Chicken Care Raising Poultry Advice | Tractor Supply Co.

It's really important to have a secure enclosure for them whether you're in the suburbs or the country.

I miss having chickens but am reluctant to do so because I have 3 dogs of my own, often have several fosters and we have plenty of wild critters that also may go after them - too many friends have lost theirs to predators both wild and domestic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden